Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
well
1. theres are pressed out mines cut out
2. they will take bigger rope and be improved if anyone suggests a way

BTW made some strikers (reserved your big one Stu) and some ferro rod strikers from the tool steel I made knives from. They have blue lanyarks and lobster clasps on ;) Also made some more squirrel cookers out of 6mm rod as well as 10mm square bar :)
100_3136.jpg

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
well

BTW made some strikers (reserved your big one Stu) and some ferro rod strikers from the tool steel I made knives from. They have blue lanyarks and lobster clasps on ;) Also made some more squirrel cookers out of 6mm rod as well as 10mm square bar :)
View attachment 15761

Looking good Kev nice job there, I got a big lum of black flint in the motor about 6" in diameter.. :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I have a 100% flint boulder sat on my front lawn... it's about 18" by 12" by 10". I have access to plenty more, so you're welcome to it if you want a supply :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I might not be able to do the March meetup!
I've just gotten home from hospital... managed to damage my neck (fortunately not a broken neck according to the 30+ X-Rays that were taken)... and I'm in a lot of pain right now.
I'll know in the next few days or so whether I'll be in a good-enough condition for March, but obviously not going to push a point if it doesn't heal up substancially before then.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
oh no, sorry to hear you cant make it, but a wise decision on, hope it get better soon, dont push it better to be fully rcovered, then have something put back just for a bit if play time.

Take care mate see you a the next one.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Simon hope you feel better soon, does anyone fancy a night out this weekend possibly at the Colchester site. Be a good chance to test the cold weather kit out

Sent from my finger and thumbs

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What annoys me is how stupidly it happened!

Took my daughters to a playground... I was chasing after my eldest and went underneath a "jungle gym" thing at a brisk stride. I was looking down at my kid, with my Packaway hat on (the brim obstructing my view a bit) and didn't see the large wooden beam. Smashed into it right on the top of my skull, pushing my entire head back into my shoulders with a whopping great CRUNCH.

I immediately fixed the position of my head and neck and held it still until the EMTs arrived, at which point they strapped me to a spine board and off to A&E (not Ipswich, this was John Paget [I think] between Lowestoft and Gt. Yarmouth).
Everyone was actually very nice and efficient (much better than at Ipswich A&E, in my experience anyway). Got me into radiology for a large number of X-Rays (over 30 different images taken). Was carted back to the admittance ward and 5 minutes later the doc came in with the good news (neck ain't broken).

Still, it's very painful and my range of head movement is limited. I've been told I must not (under any circimstances) subject my head, neck, shoulders or back to any stresses until it all fully heals. I'm going to assume that lifting and hefting a whopping great Bergen counts as "stress".

Of course, I know that the campsite has wheelbarrows... so I could always barrow the gear down to the pitch site. I think I could get my tarp and hammock up without stressing my neck... question comes down to whether I could sleep in the hammock (could I actually get in and out without help). Also no idea how cold temperatures might affect me.

Anyway, I'll take it as it comes, but right now it isn't looking too promising.

Adding insult to injury, when I got home last night, I discovered that someone has stolen my heating oil (over 200 litres)... so now I have no hot water and no heating for up to a week :(

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I've been out and bought some ripstop nylon. Made a fat snakeskin for my hammock with UQ attached, looks good and works well, it will keep everything out of the mud when packing up. tomorrow I will make a ridgeline organiser and maybe a few other bits, I need some ideas lads!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
well

View attachment 15761

I'd like a toolsteel striker, do you want anything made out of ripstop nylon kev

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hey, Roman... any chance you'd be willing to make a snakeskin for my DD Frontline? Not sure what you'd want in exchange, but I can either sling you a little cash or make something for you.... not sure what you're in need of though!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Simon, I will do one this afternoon for you
, I'd rather swaps than cash much more fun, only thing I'm after at present are 2 lightweight karabiner for my hammock as mine are heavy steel otherwise whatever, chat next weekend

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't presently have a UQ, so a standard snakeskin :)

I have some karabs which you might find more than acceptable (they're a super-light alloy rated for 24kN)

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hey all,

Can't say that I can come to the next meet and introduce myself in person but I can offer something into the DIY pot if anyone's interested. I've made a bunch of self tensioning lines for my tarp and have loads of material left over. Basically a copy of these http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/self-tensioning-lines/ that I had given to me.

Might be running a bit low on small cable ties but I could whip some up if anyone wants or just bung you some instructions and spare kit to make your own.

I'm using them on the tarp to keep it taught when it gets damp or just stretches out when pitched.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hey all,

Can't say that I can come to the next meet and introduce myself in person but I can offer something into the DIY pot if anyone's interested. I've made a bunch of self tensioning lines for my tarp and have loads of material left over. Basically a copy of these http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/self-tensioning-lines/ that I had given to me.

Might be running a bit low on small cable ties but I could whip some up if anyone wants or just bung you some instructions and spare kit to make your own.

I'm using them on the tarp to keep it taught when it gets damp or just stretches out when pitched.

Hi broomstick, I like the look of them, I have a new diy snakeskin for a tarp/hammock if you want to trade.

Paul

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE