Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Ready.
aqe5aze3.jpg

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Definitely going to be late! It's 4:15 AM now, my kids have kept me up all night... I'm going to bed right now but I'm going to be at least a couple of hours late. On a good note I have offset some prep time between bouts of screaming kids!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ok mate no problem , we like an easy laid back approch, lol we are there to have fun.

Paul will tell you I am the one that watches the clock until I get to site, lol

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I regret to say that I cant make it, I fell over last night and banged my chest and cant breathe properly, wife is taking me to the vets for the once over.
I truly am gutted I am missing this, would be good to put names to faces and play with my toys.

Cheers

Chris

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's a shame Tagnut, hope every things OK mate take care see you at the next one....

Keep an eye on the page... if all goes well and Alan is interested I am thinking about one early March... depends on my flat move....

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well what a great night out , good to meet you guys, some good conversations and some great ideas shared,

I arrived at 11:30 to find Kev and Carl already there, shortly after Dave arrived, and we walked around the site looking to fin a dry place to pitch we found one it was boggier the was first thought, soon Carl and myself had our Tarps and Hammocks set up, Kev and Dave had their tents, pitched, we set up a group shelter, Wood was collected and a fire was started, Kettle went on, Paul, Nick and Simon followed another two Hammocks went up and Nick set up his tend, on a dry patch he found.

Kev got his rabbit Cooker out, and demo'd it with an onion and a potato, Great bit of work there Kev. down se sat to a cuppa, and the chat began, About 4 oclock I got to starting to full the Dutch oven with the mixed veg, Beef, mixed herbs ect, and put it on to cook Hanging over the fire, this lead to more chat, I let it to cook slowly for about 2 hrs, then made some Herb Dumplings dropped them in , about 45 mins later took the D/O off the heat and everyone tucked in, followed up with Apple Pie's and custard,

Kev Brought out the Brandy we all drunk a swig to his new born Grandson, later that night Dave gave us the biggest laugh we had all weekend...... He had brought a hot water bottle..... not only that it was a Bunny Rabbit water bottle..... we made the most of the fun to be had....

as the night wore on the group slipped to bed.

This morning we woke up got a fire going, the pack up began, and the guys started to slip away, its great to meet such a nice bunch of people and share ideas..

I forgot a camera, but there were a few pics taken so watch out for them

Thank you guys, for coming, I have had a work with Alan at the camp site and I've arranged for another meet on the 2nd March, hopefully we will have more space to camp next time,

Oh and weather wise we just had everything, Sun, Wind, Hail, Rain, and the water droplets on the Tarps were frozen about 11 last night so a Sub Zero Night as well....

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Had a great time and looking forward to the next.

About to wash the mud off my ground tarp (ordered a proper ground sheet for next time... spare the expensive tarp for doing what tarps do best: keeping me dry and out of the wind)

Got some great advice and tips from you guys, too, so got some new gear to get in and a few techniques to practise.

The only thing I'd have changed is the mud.... that aside, was a really good night :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Thoroughly enjoyed the company over the weekend, the best thing for me after meeting new friends was seeing everyone's kit and different setups, first time seeing the Snugpak top and underquilt, and the jetboil and whitebox stove Carl what a beeeutiful knife.
Learned some things, passed on some knowledge, ate well.
My UK Hammocks UQ performed well, warm all night wearing only fleece, leggings and shirt with my army doss bag thrown on top. When packing up I had a brainwave, I flipped the UQ inside the DD Frontline hammock and carefully pulled the snakeskin over the whole lot. That will make setting up a lot quicker next time.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Sorry I couldn't make it. I thought about going straight from work but glad I didn't commit becasue it ended up being a long day...

Roman - I'd not store the down in the snake skins all the time. Okay for tear-down but if you store down compressed you'll end up knocking out it's ability to 'loft' as well in the future. It's not a bad idea to do this with anything with 'lofting' insulation - synthetic or down.

Ideally the down should be loosly stored (e.g. for the UQ, in the net bag they supply) or even more ideal is layed flat. Good hiding places would be a loft (if dry/not damp), top of a wardrobe, under a bed (if you don't have a dog/cats!). Some people hang them up in wardrobes but I always thing there's to much chance the down will tend to drop down the item. I keep my UQ, sleeping bags, etc. stored loose in net bags in the bottom of the 'gear wardrobe'.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
He knows not to store it compressed (he remarked on that at the time he was doing it). It's just a clever way of packing for transport (where it'd be compressed anyway), especially if you repack it in the snakeskin before you set off on an overnighter (easier and much faster setup)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Broomstickize, Always happy to receive good advice in the well meaning intent, and if Big Stu had not made the same remark a couple of months back I would most likely have made that mistake. So thanks even if it's too late for me, someone else may read it.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Thanks for invting us dudes. Remember all welcome next week at Norwich
Took some brill photos that I'll get on when the computer is running better;)
Glad I'm off work this week as I can hardly walk today (I ws struggling Sat and Sun to be honest) and can't make a fist with my right hand (now then!!!!) as the joints are so swollen but...tyg
Ready for the next one with 1/4 of the gear this time he he :bigok:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE