Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just been thinking about food for the 2nd Feb,

How about Chilli Chicken, and dumplings in the Dutch Oven?

Then apple Pie and Custard.. ?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
How much does it cost for the overnighter?

Also just to let you know, Norwich is having a free self catering one on the 9/10th Feb. All welcome, just put your name on the list in the link

I aggred with him £5 per person per night, and we would do a deal on the logs, last time we paid £7 a wheel barrow full, and we went and filled the barrow, so it will be abotu the same.

Its a shame about the 9/10th I am seeing my kids that weekend so can not make it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Cheers dude.
I'll let you know nearer the time if thats OK. I have to have a 12v battery/mains or the car near. Is that a problem? Oh and I'm a ground lover not a tree hanger :lmao:

Sorry to take some time getting back, I been abit busy with Suffolk Rover Rescue/Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue, over the last few days, if the ground is not to wet he will let us take a car down to the tree area, it is a couple of hundred yards from the car park to the tree area, and there are 240v stands about, also a car battery could be carried to the area as its only grass, and there are barrows about.

Of course theres no problem being a ground dewler, Nick (Kimbiko) is also a ground lover, we do not discrimate on how people sleep.:D

The Idea of our meets is to turn up have good company, and of course if we have time practice any skills we would like to....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will contact Orchards, next week just to confirm details, how the campsite is, what facilitys are open to us.

So far List attending is
1.Stu
2.Paul aka Roman Soldier (I want to cook for myself to test kit but willing to help)
3.KIMBOKO aka Nick P Now comfirmed. Shift Changed.
4. Rumcelt

Plus Posibles
Kev Whitler + 1
Zeon98

I'll be bringing
Colman Lamp
Table
25ltr Water Carrier
8ltr Dutch Oven + Tripod
Griddle
Large Tarp for Group Shelter

As far as the group meal goes do we want to do it as per norm and each get items, or one person buys the cost split, I am still thinking of something differnt to a plain stew and thinking about may be a chickien chilli and dumplins, open to sugestions.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Looking forward to it. Hope I can make it. Should know tonight. Are there any facilities there like shower. Toliet etc. Dont care just depicts what I pack.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Count me in, I have just been given a weekend pass from the wife. I have a small dutch oven, kettle, skillet, griddle, toastie maker and a dirty great frying pan if needed. And I need to try out my new sleeping bag. Hope it wont be a problem bringing my tent

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
You can count me in (though I'll need time and place details since I don't know where "Orchards" is what with being new to this community and typically camping "stealth-style" or on private woodland)

I have a water purification system (instant) which would easily serve all of our fresh water needs (no boiling needed, gets rid of 99.99% of all harmful substances in water, including viruses)... I can also bring a guitar if anyone plays but doesn't want to bring their own (I can't play at the moment due to a recent accidental carving of my left middle finger which - while being outwardly healed - is still sore when pressing frets)

I'm a hammock guy (with a brand new DD Frontline I've yet to even take out the pack, this would be a good opportunity to try it out) though I carry everything I need to sleep in the trees or closer to the Earth if neccessary (though my bag isn't rated for winters... I'm fairly confident that I'd be plenty warm enough as I rarely feel the cold).

I'd be coming by motorbike (so long as there isn't too much ice on the roads)

As a luxury (and assuming it's allowed) I could bring a projector and a selection of movies. If you've never enjoyed an outdoor cinema, you don't know what you're missing :)

It's England in February, so I assume we're going to have wet ground. Do you think it might be worth bringing my tree stove setup?

P.S. Would anyone mind me filming some of the night for my YouTube channel?

Last edited:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
This meet is starting to sound great, movies, tree stove whatever that is, and new people, awesome. Stu I have a farmer mate interested, would your travel hammock be available? No problem if not.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
This meet is starting to sound great, movies, tree stove whatever that is, and new people, awesome. Stu I have a farmer mate interested, would your travel hammock be available? No problem if not.

A "tree stove" is a self-contained stove system which attaches (harmlessly) around a tree. It beats trying to maintain a fire on wet ground, and provides an off-ground table for food prep. Idea is that you can use it even when the ground is soaking wet (or frozen with snow, for that matter).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Some great news there, be good to meet you all, as Paul and I have said all are welcome and any sort of experience is welcome as well... just make sure your able to keep warm , lol.

Tree and Ground Dwellers welcome...:D

I am looking about a start time of Midday.

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

The charge he has agreed on £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site, last time it was £7 per barrow,

So far List attending is
1. Stu
2. Paul aka Roman Soldier (I want to cook for myself to test kit but willing to help)
3. KIMBOKO aka Nick P Now comfirmed. Shift Changed.
4. Rumcelt
5. Zeon98
6. Tagnut69
7. SJStuart

Plus Posibles
Kev Whitler + 1

I'll be bringing
Coleman Lamp
Table
25ltr Water Carrier
8ltr Dutch Oven + Tripod
Griddle
Large Tarp for Group Shelter

As far as the group meal goes do we want to do it as per norm and each get items, or one person buys the cost split, I am still thinking of something different to a plain stew and thinking about may be a chicken chilli and dumplings, open to suggestions.

There is a Toilet Block, that should be open and water is available from Taps on the site, I will ask for the full shower block to be open.

Of course pics and films being taken is ok....

Last edited:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
A "tree stove" is a self-contained stove system which attaches (harmlessly) around a tree. It beats trying to maintain a fire on wet ground, and provides an off-ground table for food prep. Idea is that you can use it even when the ground is soaking wet (or frozen with snow, for that matter).

looking forward to seeing that! you must have a goldwing with a trailer lol

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
So funny, I just informed my 19 year old daughter that someone called tagnut is coming, she still laughing 5 minutes on. Good handle lol she wonder if we'll get a klinker, winnet or klingon
No offence

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE