Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ash bow stave would tickle me pink. Can never find wood anywhere that I can take.

I'd love a wild food skill share aug/sept

A wild food skill share is on the list, but one thing that has to be realised the group is not a course for skills... and skill share are only about an hour or so long, and very loosely run, and run by the attenders of the group and not instructors.

The idea of the skill share are not just to take wood away,

There is only a finite amount of wood we can take form a wood, and the regular attenders of the group would be the first to be allowed to take any from the woods, we have a ban on green wood cutting for a reason, even then it would only be in small amounts, any wood cut, would be used for group use on site for a while to come, until I can secure full and consistent use of the woodland.

Something like a bow making skill share would be in a few years time and is a long way down the road....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Don't see why we couldn't knock something like that up for the next meet.

Thats my thought about it, when I saw it a year or so a go... and why I kept the image..., we should be able to get wood from what I have got permission to cut, all that's needed then is a post hole digger and its the either lashed together or nailed/screwed/bolted...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The coppicing would not be a problem, I will have to use the chainsaw for the larger stuff if people have loppers and bill hooks bring them along for snedding.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The coppicing would not be a problem, I will have to use the chainsaw for the larger stuff if people have loppers and bill hooks bring them along for snedding.

Ok bud, thank you for that I'll put that on to the main Feb thread... as only cardedsaw operators can use the saw..

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If we make it to the size of the tarps we already have that would be the easiest solution, lash the frame together so we wont need any joints just post holes for the a frame.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If we make it to the size of the tarps we already have that would be the easiest solution, lash the frame together so we wont need any joints just post holes for the a frame.

thats waht I was thinking, gives a nice wall hight, nice roof apex hight as well, and easy to move if need be :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think the key will be to make it quickly next meet and give it a go. The only snag I can see it we will loose the amount of area covered, as the big tarps at the mo are pretty flat, raising the ridge will bring the sides in, giving less covered area

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Don't see it as being much different to the ridge height that we had last weekend, but if it is then, for the average attendance, 12"x12" would be big enough.

We may need an extension at Christmas, but I think the local planning officer should pass that!!!

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Tbh the main reason is price, paracord is soo expensive if you want the option of not having to take everything apart afterwards, I would use para on a tarp as I will leave it on the tarp, but for lashing tripods etc I will leave it if I can get away with it, or just cut the cord

I dont but a know a couple of guys that do.. saying that its only tared Nylon/polypropyne line, what draws you to it, because one of the guys did say once he'd used it he would not bother with any more..

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mariner-tarred-twisted-nylon-twine---bank-line-13991-p.asp

As I said, an ash bow stave would tickle me pink. I wasn't expecting to take any with me. Precisely why it's such a pain in the **** in this country. I can't even get go out and buy lengths of 1x2 hardwoods in the UK for CBG making. I've been using scrap as best I can but there's only so much you can do with an old table leg.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Going back to the shelter, I remembered seeing this earlier last year and thought that this design would be quite good, I especially like the addition of the range at the back and the rustic shelving, which is something we could, over time accommodate, in any design.

Woodland Shelter.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE