Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
So can I get this right

Every meet we tie up tarps all round the outside edge... roll them up, and leave the ones we dont need rolled up, so for example this weekend we had half of the shelter open.. so we would of put twice the amount of tarps up and rolled them up that we did not need.

I was of the impression we were talking about a more permanent shelter, to be left in place.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I thought the plan was to leave the structure standing and remove the tarps, if we don't they wont last long.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
the sides where kept together and rolled/foled if I remember right in one length.

I still think a removable roof would be good , but with the loggy frame may be a pain to keep removing it.. my feeling is wait and see how it goes togther

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have used a similar frame and tarp before, what we did was tie a rope to 2 corners and the middle of one side, thro the ropes over the ridge beam and pull it over and tie off, it worked very well, just need to make sure that we make sure that the poles are smooth.

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
On Sunday were the sides separated or kept together?

We took them down, kept them joined together and they are folded concertina style to make putting up easier next time

However, if the roof were left up would it not weather and/or be more prone to damage whilst we are not there?

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
However, if the roof were left up would it not weather or be prone to damage more whilst we are not there?
Had a DD XL outside from late May right up until the storm in October... seems perfectly fine to me. And that tarp didn't have the benefit of trees to reduce its direct exposure to the elements (especially sunlight).

Not saying that just because my DD is no worse for wear that all tarps would be fine... just saying that they can be a lot tougher than people might think :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They sure are, that's the style I want to get, probably get another ragim @45# next though and save up to get a proper nice one once I reach a stable poundage. But if something nice comes along at the right price at the right time, who knows. I did miss out on a Bear recently on the nfas website.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Carl will be proud: I just picked up a titanium frying pan today.
I didn't know it was titanium when I bought it (wasn't my motivating factor)... I bought it because it has a really well-designed folding handle that can actually be locked in place (unlike other pans which flop about when you try to pick them up).

It's made by Primus, apparently. Weighs next to nothing (which is a pleasant bonus) and set me back just £15. It's also big enough to lay two boil-in-the-bag pouches in at once (or one of the meals + a rice packet) which is also a bit of a bonus if I'm feeling lazy.

Looking forward to getting it sooted up now (Saturday just can't get here quick enough far as I'm concerned) :)

Speaking of Saturday... I'll be doing a camp fire stir fry with meat courtesy of one of my cockerels I'll be dispatching and "field dressing" on-site. Offer's still open if anyone wants to join me for Saturday day and night. It's free and will certainly be fun!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
You got a link to the pan Simon

Bought it from a camping store in Ipswich, but I believe this is exactly the same pan on Amazon (more expensive because the store in Ipswich gives me a hefty discount for being a pretty damned loyal customer of theirs)

Also just noticed that the pan's outer is made from hard anodized Aluminium, and it's the non-stick interior that is made from Titanium (according to Amazon's specs). Doesn't bother me either way... it's light as a feather and the handle setup is spot on :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Wasnt action outdoors was it?

Indeed it was. They've been good to me, so when they have an item in stock that I'm after... I buy it from them directly rather than ordering online. In almost every case, the price I've paid them has beaten the online price (especially once you factor in the shipping cost). I know some of the guys in this group have different opinions of them, but as I say... they've been good to me.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just got RM's Outdoor Survival Handbook land on the doormat today, unwrapped it.....just got to learn to open a book and read now..... As you know I would rather be doing things.....

then I can join in MoT's Year long Challenge. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE