Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Two questions.

1, how many hammocks could it take (I will go for the top one (bunk bed style) NOT same hammock just in case you ask!

2, will there be a noise limit (a believe Kev researched this)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I have a brand new 10x10 (meters, not feet) tarp here. It's a "lightweight" tarp still in its packaging, but I use a smaller version as a ground sheet and it's been pretty damned tough thus far.

Would that be an adequate size of tarp for the group shelter?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Box tarp configuration around my bike now that I don't have a garage anymore... but since I've added a "lean-to" for it to the side of the shed, the tarp remains in its packaging unused.

Ah, right. I remember you saying something about that. It would be a great size for a group shelter, roof and one wall in one.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Going back to the shelter, I remembered seeing this earlier last year and thought that this design would be quite good, I especially like the addition of the range at the back and the rustic shelving, which is something we could, over time accommodate, in any design.

View attachment 27766

thats quite a nice one, but the pitch is very steep and narrow, also having long legs woud they be a pain ad get in the way?, be nice to keep the foot print to roof coverage to head room height ratio to the max if you know what i mean, at least you know that with the box formed one you know what your getting with out worrying to much about angle of legs for height.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
the idea is to have them removable so if we dont need them we just dont need them and we can move them to where the weatheres coming from with out having rolls of tarps every where.. why keep reinventing things.....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
the idea is to have them removable so if we dont need them we just dont need them and we can move them to where the weatheres coming from with out having rolls of tarps every where.. why keep reinventing things.....

Who's reinventing things? Having drop tarps permanently fixed in place and simply rolling them up and tying them off at the point of attachment has been done for centuries... it's nothing new. It's also a damned site faster to set up the required walls when they're needed, and quicker to pack them away too.

Last edited:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Who's reinventing things? Having drop tarps permanently fixed in place and simply rolling them up and tying them off at the point of attachment has been done for centuries... it's nothing new. It's also a damned site faster to set up the required walls when they're needed, and quicker to pack them away too.

Good idea Simon, and nice of you to offer the group ;p

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
So can I get this right

Every meet we tie up tarps all round the outside edge... roll them up, and leave the ones we dont need rolled up, so for example this weekend we had half of the shelter open.. so we would of put twice the amount of tarps up and rolled them up that we did not need.

Being one of the ones that took the tarps down on the Sunday that where tired up on taking them down the cord was cold and wet and frozen...tied in many ways by different people, using many different knots and methods, I know that I would rather undo half the number of tarps then have to worry about taken down ones that were not needed.. think it was not short of six tarps were used in the end. I was not the only one commenting about hold and wet hands making it difficult,

I would sugget maybe finding a strapping method to secure the tarps to the poles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE