Suffolk Bushcraft Group

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Ceryni if you make it to the monthly meet in January you can have a look at what I have to move on, but they are all big ones, I think that they are all over 4lb up to 6 or7.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A few months ago there was a nice one made by someone on here, which was very nice, I may borrow a few details from it, untill I design it I am not totally sure what it will look like. Also need a stand for my anvil.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Plenty of good axes out there at that size for less then Half the money, and even less. Mike has a nice small one, one option is to cut down on weight of the head and have a longer Helve, to be honest most the time you use an axe its for splitting more then felling, and a light hatchet is enough for most uses.

I've got a nice 2 1/2lb Kent Pattern Ewell, its a lovely Axe but way tooo heavy for putting in a sack with all the gear.. I tend to go for the lighter 1 to 1 1/2lb for carrying in a sack, and use Gluts for anything that needs splitting thats larger.

Oh I wasn't planning on buying a gransfors, because I know I can pick something up that does the job for £4. I'm just really impatient when it comes to sourcing materials. I've been trying to get some lengths of planed/sawn hardwood for about a year now and it's frying my brain.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats good news bud.. I ve seen peeps buy an expensive toy, then they see one that does the job in real life, and they are shocked how well a cheap one can do the same.

I am not saying that GB are no good by the way.. :)

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, nice work stu, may i ask what did you use to make your ball balls :confused::eek:. with regards to axes its not the head or the handle thats important it's the hand that yields it, but a good piece of steel old or new will retain its edge better.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I do have the gransfors sfa and wildlife hatchet, one was a gift the other I bought witha kelly kettle for £10from the car boot, would I pay full retail for them, no, but I will never sell them. Thet are by no means the only axes I have , they just seem to accumulate around me following me home from the car boot:)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just plucked, gutted and cleaned both birds. Got one in the freezer in a gallon Ziploc for Xmas dinner, the other in the oven right now with veggies for a small roast tonight :)

I got a muntjac today, too. Landlord's keeping it in the meat locker for me (my freezers are way too small for it)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi, nice work stu, may i ask what did you use to make your ball balls :confused::eek:. with regards to axes its not the head or the handle thats important it's the hand that yields it, but a good piece of steel old or new will retain its edge better.

Thank you Bud

Just normal knitting wool Bud :)

did a quick write up here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116400

I''l totally agree about what your've just said about axes most people think its just a case of pick one up and sling it about..... there's only one other part been missed here, that's most important... the sharpening of them, and which way you choice to do it.. :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just got back from The Range.. the new Arrows fly well, so looks like I got the right set up now arrow wise is just the numpty holding the bow :)....

Only got two good one out of the Four now... one I hit the nock off.. not big prob' i'll just replace it:), the other one has been claimed by the arrow goddess of the woods, and she will not let me have it back...

Think Perris will get another visit for some more bits....:)

Hope you feeling better now Chris

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just plucked, gutted and cleaned both birds. Got one in the freezer in a gallon Ziploc for Xmas dinner, the other in the oven right now with veggies for a small roast tonight :)

I got a muntjac today, too. Landlord's keeping it in the meat locker for me (my freezers are way too small for it)

Nice.. how did you bag that muntjac Simon.. I got to the woods at about 9:30 this morning and had a chance to stalk a couple of Roe.. which was nice :). yes I had my bow saw them while walking between targets... no I did not take a shot...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yeah, lucky you..:).. what did he lend ya... anything nice:)

.308... and it beats the pants off mine! Accuracy and power over ranges vastly exceeding my lil' fox rifle!
Methinks I'll be adding a .308 to my present arsenal of one :p

EDIT: My rifle is a .222 and isn't legal in England for use in deer hunting (so my Landlord tells me) which is why I borrowed his.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
.308... and it beats the pants off mine! Accuracy and power over ranges vastly exceeding my lil' fox rifle!
Methinks I'll be adding a .308 to my present arsenal of one :p

EDIT: My rifle is a .222 and isn't legal in England for use in deer hunting (so my Landlord tells me) which is why I borrowed his.

yeah think his right there, I may be wrong, think min is a .270, but think a .22/2, is ok in Scotland.. (for some reason.. don't know where I got that but think its right, lol), but I think it has to loaded in a certain way, again I may be wrong, or the law may have changed since i used to shoot.. think its from the Deer act of 1963 ish......???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE