Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi guys, sorry tried to reply last night but my phone hates forums. Keeps closing the keyboard on me!

I am 21, I don't have a car or a means of transport.
I live in Hadleigh, a stones throw from Raydon, Suffolk
I like to make things, a lot. I might put some project posts up soonish.
I really need a camp out, I don't care if I'm cold! 3 nights (saw that meet up thread) is a bit much for me though, unless it means lifts there and back.
I can use public transport as well to get to places people might be able to give me a lift, can help with a bit of fuel monies too if needed.

I have very basic kit. I'm poor as hell, but I so far have gotten by with a standard tent, sleeping bag, mat and a hexi burner/messtins, and my trusty opinel! I tend to spend my money on nice wine (be nice to your liver, make those units nice units!) and train tickets to see my better half in Norwich when I'm in uni at Brighton; ain't she lucky.

Hoping to have refurbished a little axe too soon,
I'm yearning for a hammock and hoochie, I love hammocks, I sleep like a king in hammocks.

I graduate and plan to move norfolk side of border in late summer
I'm not a morning person.

Anything else you want to know about me? :D

I'd give you a lift but my Mrs has to bring me in at this time of year (I ride motorbikes, and this isn't really a good time of year for that... not to mention it's hard carrying that much gear on one).

If you can hook yourself up with a ride to the next meet, I can bring a spare DD Frontline hammock (with all its suspension stuff) for you to enjoy as well as a DD 3x3 (or even an XL if you'd prefer the extra length) tarp.

I don't think I can bodge a lift from anyone around here that isn't going. Google tells me 40 mins each way from home

If I can make it though, that would be excellent if I could borrow it, I'll bring a sleeping bag, and I assume a mat is advisable as well? for extra warmth at this time of year?
Once I know what sleeping arrangement suits me most, I'll just splash out and buy it! For now I'm still using a Euro hike tent I have used for about 10 years. survived through thick and thin haha. Bit heavy though. I want something small and light enough to throw in my bag without thinking about the weight too much. That way I can have axe, knives, saw, stove and cook set, food, clothes, extras and sleeping arrangement in a relatively small pack, around a 35-45litre osprey for 3 days to a week! :D

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I don't think I can bodge a lift from anyone around here that isn't going. Google tells me 40 mins each way from home

If I can make it though, that would be excellent if I could borrow it, I'll bring a sleeping bag, and I assume a mat is advisable as well? for extra warmth at this time of year?
Once I know what sleeping arrangement suits me most, I'll just splash out and buy it! For now I'm still using a Euro hike tent I have used for about 10 years. survived through thick and thin haha. Bit heavy though. I want something small and light enough to throw in my bag without thinking about the weight too much. That way I can have axe, knives, saw, stove and cook set, food, clothes, extras and sleeping arrangement in a relatively small pack, around a 35-45litre osprey for 3 days to a week! :D

Hi, I am out of the country in the next couple of months but if you need a lift to a meet in March (when I get back) then you're welcome.

The group is really friendly, if you can get over just bring your kit - as you've already seen, with a quick question, you'll find people are more than happy to help with gear, advice, sharing knowledge, etc.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Ceryni,

At the moment, I am going to be going past Hadleigh as I have to pop into my mum and dads, at Boxford to pick something up on the 2nd and will be popping in on the way back, not sure if it will be a definite until after Christmas.. :) on the way back. if thats any use...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been a busy bunny this morning.. now I got a quite Bow... :)

2013-12-21 13.07.33.jpg2013-12-21 13.07.44.jpg

Its mad a difference.. I think it has.. :), just need to get out and really try it... anyone fancy a visit up the club i the next day or two :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi, I am out of the country in the next couple of months but if you need a lift to a meet in March (when I get back) then you're welcome.

The group is really friendly, if you can get over just bring your kit - as you've already seen, with a quick question, you'll find people are more than happy to help with gear, advice, sharing knowledge, etc.

Chris, have a safe trip bud, look forward to seeing you in March :).

Hi Ceryni,

At the moment, I am going to be going past Hadleigh as I have to pop into my mum and dads, at Boxford to pick something up on the 2nd and will be popping in on the way back, not sure if it will be a definite until after Christmas.. :) on the way back. if thats any use...

Yes that is great but let me know if that's a definite, and I'll pack up my stuff. I've been told to visit my better half in Norwich because she's working new years eve, but should be able to run back for the 2nd easily enough
If I were to borrow a hammock, should I bring a warm mat to put inside it?

I'll let you know, I don't know exactly what I'm up to in march due to exams, and a canal boat holiday I'm going on with my better halves family.
Do we know the dates of this meet? Then I could plan.

I am hoping they fluff up a bit more, lol..
I've heard they fluff up after a few dozen shots because of the strain on them, they'll get a little smaller but turn fluffier than rabbit fur. ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yes that is great but let me know if that's a definite, and I'll pack up my stuff. I've been told to visit my better half in Norwich because she's working new years eve, but should be able to run back for the 2nd easily enough
If I were to borrow a hammock, should I bring a warm mat to put inside it?

I've heard they fluff up after a few dozen shots because of the strain on them, they'll get a little smaller but turn fluffier than rabbit fur. ;)

OK I'll let you know after Christmas has left us.. :)..

Yeah I saw Steve's ones that he had done on his Great Northern Bow, and they looked good, so hope mine will go the same way:).. I picked Mink as the Colour :).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have been Busy...

Four new Arrows as well...
Diameter 11/32" Port Orford Cedar.
Length Full..as you know I have quite a long Draw.
Spline #55 to#60
4" Shield Fetching's
125 grain Gas Pro Brass Bullets.

2013-12-21 15.55.38.jpg2013-12-21 15.55.53.jpg2013-12-21 15.56.07.jpg

I am going to try these out to see if they will shoot better :)..of course had to keep with the Orange and Yellow colour scheme :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Took the new slingshot out today and popped its cherry to provide some delicious meat for my family's Christmas dinner :)

DSC_0648.JPG

Do any of you bow guys (Stu, Chris etc) want any of the feathers for your fletchings?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Took the new slingshot out today and popped its cherry to provide some delicious meat for my family's Christmas dinner :)

Do any of you bow guys (Stu, Chris etc) want any of the feathers for your fletchings?

Brace of nice birds there..

thanks for the offer Simon, I am keeping away from natural fletchings as such it makes arrows so hard to find :). and coloured ones are so cheap to buy,

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I know I am the same in a way.. :).. it a nice Idea tho.. :)

What sort of distance did you plug them from, and what ammo did you use :)

Stainless shot (3/4" balls) from pretty damn close up to be honest. They weren't in the mood to run away so I just strolled up and let two shots fly one after the other. Instant and painless deaths (clean kills). Only downside of doing that with this weather is that their feathers are soaking wet, so we're leaving them until tomorrow to pluck to hopefully dry out a little.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Oh and I got a woodcock from a good 35-40 meters which I've given to the landlord's father as a sort-of gift (he's a lot like us, only a bit too infirm to spend winter nights in the forest)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE