Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
yeah think his right there, I may be wrong, think min is a .270, but think a .22/2, is ok in Scotland.. (for some reason.. don't know where I got that but think its right, lol), but I think it has to loaded in a certain way, again I may be wrong, or the law may have changed since i used to shoot.. think its from the Deer act of 1963 ish......???

.243 is the minimum deer hunting calibre in the rest of the UK, and .222 in Scotland.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
.243 is the minimum deer hunting calibre in the rest of the UK, and .222 in Scotland.

As I say I may be a bit rusty, as I have not shoot for about 25 years :(.. one day I may reapply for FAC..

Now you say that, don't you have to have approval to use that caliber for deer from the local police of something? because its expanding/soft lead...?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
As I say I may be a bit rusty, as I have not shoot for about 25 years :(.. one day I may reapply for FAC..

Now you say that, don't you have to have approval to use that caliber for deer from the local police of something? because its expanding/soft lead...?

That's actually a good question. I actually don't know what the limitations/restrictions are on my firearms license... and that'd be worth looking into (but I'll have to deal with that anyway to "upgrade" to the .308)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's actually a good question. I actually don't know what the limitations/restrictions are on my firearms license... and that'd be worth looking into (but I'll have to deal with that anyway to "upgrade" to the .308)

Just a thought bud.. its easy to fall fowl with out realising.. and as the say ignorance is no defense, as I say I may be wrong, its been a couple of decade's since i shot.. If I started again, I have to recheck myself.

the law may even say some thing silly like you can buy it but cant use it, lol......

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just a thought bud.. its easy to fall fowl with out realising.. and as the say ignorance is no defense, as I say I may be wrong, its been a couple of decade's since i shot.. If I started again, I have to recheck myself.

the law may even say some thing silly like you can buy it but cant use it, lol......

Well, my understanding is that there's restrictions on what calibre ammunition I'm allowed to keep in the gun locker here at my house. As far as I'm aware, I'm allowed to use any calibre I want if it's on private property.... again, I could be wrong.

I need to do some research on this, but that's okay as I'll need to research any additional requirements for owning a .308 and keeping it on my property. It is, after all, a substantially higher calibre rifle than I have presently!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Two slots, same calibre... though that may have been reduced to one slot since filing the variation when we moved to this new address in June (because the permission to shoot where my chickens are located is the same land and same permission as the land I'm allowed to hunt on)

Just to clarify: I was advised to file one slot for each permission even though the same rifle was to be used on both. I still don't understand why, since I only have the one rifle... but the application was approved, so it must've been the right advice....

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, I'd get a soap on a rope if I was you, coz if you get caught with 308 or 7.62 rifle or ammunition and its not on your licence you're get 5 years bed and breakfast and you're be glad you got the soap on a rope Lol.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi, I'd get a soap on a rope if I was you, coz if you get caught with 308 or 7.62 rifle or ammunition and its not on your licence you're get 5 years bed and breakfast and you're be glad you got the soap on a rope Lol.

I don't have a 308 or 7.62 rifle ammo, mate. I'm looking at filing a variation to get it on my license.

I've never shot a hunting rifle, or any other firearm. ever. And it's one of those things I am absolutely desperate to try. I* have only ever fired a single shot .223 cadet rifle in school, a .22 target and a 12 gauge at my uncles several years ago. Gave me arm ache when I was a scrawny 15 year old!
My mum apparently has an old hatchet head hangin around the garden all rusted up...I was thinking of refurbing that and putting a handle on it?
Does anyone have advice in regards to sharpening, everything I have been told either requires power tools that seem reckless to the temper, or overly complicated. Can I use hand files and sandpaper before moving onto a stone?

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Can you still use one tho?...does the owner or FAC holder have to be there..... its been a while since I had my FAC..

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Quick question for you (because I'm looking but not finding the answer).

FAC is valid for 5 years... but when you file a variation does that constitute a renewal of the license as well (meaning 5 years from the date of variation to renewal)? I'm thinking not, as variation costs less than renewal and I doubt they'd make it so easy ;)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Can you still use one tho?...does the owner or FAC holder have to be there..... its been a while since I had my FAC..

Good question... and I still haven't found an answer despite googling the hell out of it (they say ignorance is no defense but it sure as **** doesn't do anyone any favours when they don't tell you these things). The owner of the FAC for the .308 was indeed with me at the time... on his own property, both of us with the relevant hunting permit.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My mum apparently has an old hatchet head hangin around the garden all rusted up...I was thinking of refurbing that and putting a handle on it?
Does anyone have advice in regards to sharpening, everything I have been told either requires power tools that seem reckless to the temper, or overly complicated. Can I use hand files and sandpaper before moving onto a stone?

Axe refurb.. if its rusty, please don'e use sandpaper are acid to clean it off.. just use molassas.. it will eat the rust but not good metal.. ok can take 2 weeks to clean..... but I think gives a better job...

How much have you used an axe.. ???? and I mean safely... please take some sort of instruction from people that have and know how to...loads of nasty accidents can happen with them, I only say that as your asking for sharping advice, so I take it experience with sharps are not that deep.. I assume..

As far as sharpening goes, it can be done in a number of ways, if its that damaged the a file to start, the move to rough abrasive, the finer, then on to stropping..for that really sharp edge, saying that you only need that if your using it for a carver, if just for splitting then don't worry too much about stropping :)..

Again its easier to show and learn by being shown. its something that I normally do as a skill share at a meet :)... think the guys one here will agree there's a load to be learnt about axes/sharps, but its easy... then again its easy to go wrong badly...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE