Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Stu, sorry you have had a crap weekend mate, but it could be worse, it could have happened next weekend!

I have just got back from trying out my set up last night with Simon. It was a good relaxing time, gona ditch some more kit I don't think I would ever need and need to pick up some figure nines to make my set up easier. I pitched an A frame, closed 1 end and was nice and snug last night in my arctic bag (good advice Stu thanks for that, it's the only sleeping bag I've ever had which I can actually get in comfortably and move around).

I really wanted to set up my tarp like the first one in this video on you tube (5 tarp shelter setups with a 3x3 tarp) but instead of a pole I wanted to hang the point from a ridge line from a tree, I couldn't get this to work but gonna give it ago again next time.

Oh....... also borrowed Simons crook knife and had a go at making my first spoon......

I had a good time and looking forward to getting out again.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
mu7y6a5a.jpg
uqypehed.jpg

Mine arrived this morning too, been out already, it's awesome! Love the one strap setup, super fast to deploy and pull down and that footbox makes a lot of difference. Going out tomorrow night as tonight it's number 1 sons 18th birthday party and I'm going as Indiana Jones lol.

Toby and I had to replace the structural ridgeline on the 1.1 XLC as it was WAY too short, making the hang excessively slack. We made an adjustable structural ridgeline out of Amsteel and it was all good to go hours before dark :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Yeah think its sorted now.. a cold start will prove it tomorrow... :)

Stu I've got one of those battery reconditioning charger thingies if your battery is not completely knacked. Your welcome to borrow it. It's an oximiser 900 which is meant to recover 90‰ of your battery. I've used it once on my van and it saved me £100.
Kevin showed me some routes he's done around Suffolk so I will probably start with them and then I plan to go Yorkshire moors as it seems the closest place with any Hills. My map reading is spot on so its just getting the time as we all know.
Lamboscat sounds like you had a good night out, it's always Good to test your kit out before trying to set up in front of everyone else but as I found out a few years back, everyone is very helpful from the minute you arrive. I made sure everyone knew I was pretty much a hammock virgin, saves having a cold miserable night on the floor wrapped up in ropes lol.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks for that Paul.. but the Battery is really dead... I've opened it up and taken a peek in and one of the Cells is shall we say DEAD.. looks like plates are falling apart... :(

I used to have a optimizer for the bike, very good bit of kit for de-sulpahting the plates on a battery.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Stu I've got one of those battery reconditioning charger thingies if your battery is not completely knacked. Your welcome to borrow it. It's an oximiser 900 which is meant to recover 90‰ of your battery. I've used it once on my van and it saved me £100.
Kevin showed me some routes he's done around Suffolk so I will probably start with them and then I plan to go Yorkshire moors as it seems the closest place with any Hills. My map reading is spot on so its just getting the time as we all know.
Lamboscat sounds like you had a good night out, it's always Good to test your kit out before trying to set up in front of everyone else but as I found out a few years back, everyone is very helpful from the minute you arrive. I made sure everyone knew I was pretty much a hammock virgin, saves having a cold miserable night on the floor wrapped up in ropes lol.

yeah luckily that's not happened yet LOL. Im still not sure weather to go back to hammock or stay on the ground yet, would really like to have another go at that tarp set up again sometime

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Toby/Simon

Glad you had a good time, mines been a quite weekend..... but hey ho...

Toby, the Jan meet should be a good one for Tarps bud as Simons leading on a Skill Share about tarps.. :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Thanks for that Paul.. but the Battery is really dead... I've opened it up and taken a peek in and one of the Cells is shall we say DEAD.. looks like plates are falling apart... :(

I used to have a optimizer for the bike, very good bit of kit for de-sulpahting the plates on a battery.

a good friend of mine is a distributor for Yuasa Batteries would you like me to get you a price

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

If it's a typical 12v car battery, I've got spares and you're welcome to one! They're all fully charged and desulphated (connected to pulse-charging optimizers) :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am going to see how this one performs over the next week... what with Christams coming I'd rather not spend any money unless I Have to...lol.

This ones one that we have been using down the Workshop fro jump starts ect so should be good Fingers crossed, but I may take you up on that offer Toby :)

Thank you for the offer Simon.. I'll see how this one goes :), one of the things is it needs to be a battery over 650 CCA so is a biggy...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Steve I am gutted I missed it yesterday, I tried to string my bow yesterday afternoon but could not even manage that, but on the upside we are not going in to Ipswich today:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I thougth It would be.. I always miss the good things...... well Patch started this moring :)... so OK there.. shame it had to be yesterday taht she throw a wobbly..

I di wonder about coming up and picking up teh shoot btu did not know if I could do that....

How did you do?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE