Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Stu... you're going to need to bring a wedge on Saturday as I'm not going to be able to cleanly split this piece for the Kuksas (too big to baton, and I dare not axe it or it might not split cleanly... and I would like to get two out of the one piece if possible).

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
ON a different note...

My little girl has gone up to collage this year... only seem a few months ago... (well you know what I mean if you have little ones..) since i looked out over Ipswich from the maternity ward in Ipswich, holding her in my arms with mixed feelings.. Proudness...feeling what the hell has happened... Sh** I've got to grow up here.. but with the biggest smile on my chops...

She and all of my kids make me smile and cry, and are the best thing in life that I have...

Tonight I went to a school presentation as my #2 Daughter had got and tutors award..again one of the proud moments, an other big smile, and tears in my eye's..as the head teacher read the citation from her teachers I then went back to the house to drop her off as her mum had to go to a meeting straight from the school.. sat chatting for a few mins..

I asked the Oldest how she was getting on at College, she said.. shes doing well and likes the subjects.. and did art today, and had a life subject... I said oh yeah anything good... "yes, he was very muscly, and had a pierced Pen** and nipples, he was quite a big man".. well I nearly choaked... my little girl has grown up... again she made me smile and laugh.....

Kids eh....

I know not buchcrafty... but it made me smile and shows how things change....and brings home how quick kids grow up, with out you noticing :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu... you're going to need to bring a wedge on Saturday as I'm not going to be able to cleanly split this piece for the Kuksas (too big to baton, and I dare not axe it or it might not split cleanly... and I would like to get two out of the one piece if possible).

OK mate its in the disco.....:)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
ON a different note...

My little girl has gone up to collage this year... only seem a few months ago... (well you know what I mean if you have little ones..) since i looked out over Ipswich from the maternity ward in Ipswich, holding her in my arms with mixed feelings.. Proudness...feeling what the hell has happened... Sh** I've got to grow up here.. but with the biggest smile on my chops...

She and all of my kids make me smile and cry, and are the best thing in life that I have...

Tonight I went to a school presentation as my #2 Daughter had got and tutors award..again one of the proud moments, an other big smile, and tears in my eye's..as the head teacher read the citation from her teachers I then went back to the house to drop her off as her mum had to go to a meeting straight from the school.. sat chatting for a few mins..

I asked the Oldest how she was getting on at College, she said.. shes doing well and likes the subjects.. and did art today, and had a life subject... I said oh yeah anything good... "yes, he was very muscly, and had a pierced Pen** and nipples, he was quite a big man".. well I nearly choaked... my little girl has grown up... again she made me smile and laugh.....

Kids eh....

They seem to grow up so fast now, blink and you miss it........ I've been spending too much time at work over the last three years...... now things are calming down and I can spend more weekends at home with the family............... oh but then I go out in the woods all weekend, When they are a bit older hopefully I can bring them with me.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
They seem to grow up so fast now, blink and you miss it........ I've been spending too much time at work over the last three years...... now things are calming down and I can spend more weekends at home with the family............... oh but then I go out in the woods all weekend, When they are a bit older hopefully I can bring them with me.

Yeah, I know from being separated and only seeing my kids at weekends, used to see them every weekend until about a year ago.... Dads do need Dad time away from work and need a break as do mums..

It just sort of said to me how short is our life really against time... the last 17 years has gone quicker then I would of liked.. but has been worth it ...I've had some really good times and some really bad over the last few years, a number of you will know how much my life has changed in the last few years, enjoy everything in life, especially the times with the kids and family.

Life passes with time, your've only "one life live it" :).

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Is the one I've ordered "better"? I don't even know what the differences are supposed to be... I just read that the XLC was the "latest version" so I figured I'd grab that to benefit from any experience-gained improvements they might've made.

Glad to hear the material's arrived (OD Green is okay) :)

The XLC is like mine a foot longer than standard with removable bug net and also has solid replacement top.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm also looking to make an Ammo box stove, only bits left to get before I start is something for the chimney; any suggestions!.

The box is the small one L:30CM, W:15CM, H:18CM;

Get some 3" diameter steel pipe (don't forget to burn it off if it's galvanized, but I'd suggest doing an open-air burn in run anyway)

Funnily enough I'm right this moment CAD designing a portable biomass heater!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
One of those little ammo can stoves would be ideal in my shed, just to thaw it out enough to work in during the winter.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What I'm thinking for this portable biomass stove to make a shoddy prototype is three bean tins, one of those larger soup tins, a decent size paint can, and some 50/50 mix plaster of Paris to sand.

Bean tin in the front (horizontal) coupling to a bean tin in the center of the paint tin (vertical, cut to cap around the outer bean tin). Third bean tin inserted into the back (horizontal) for exhaust. The larger soup tin is cut to fit over the vertical bean tin. The cavity between the soup tin and the bean tin inside it is filled with the 50/50 plaster/sand mix... then the paint tin lid is sealed on to complete the reburn chamber.

The front tin is the fuel chamber, the rear tin is the exhaust, and the vertical section is the reburn chamber.... pretty straight-forward design prototyped without exacting measurements. Could pipe the exhaust (which I would hope to be mostly just steam and CO2, though without exacting measurements some wood gas would probably remain) to the outside of a shelter.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
mine will be a few months away, yet, I need to get the canvas tent sorted first.... I am still thinking about a Bell or Baker tent... not sure which one yet..

I like the Baker more.. it seems to be more flexible to me and with added sides and front to the canopy with french lacing down the sides, seems to fit in with what I want.. and would give an admin living area just using the back bit for sleep, during warmer weather just take down the sides and front :)

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Get some 3" diameter steel pipe (don't forget to burn it off if it's galvanized, but I'd suggest doing an open-air burn in run anyway)

Funnily enough I'm right this moment CAD designing a portable biomass heater!

Any idea on where to source 3" pipe?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great find Colin, I wish the charity shops I go in had useful stuff in them, very really do I get anything usefull

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Toby and Stu,

I'm wondering if you guys would like me to do a group meal. I ask because I've just diced up some venison, wood pigeon breast, wild boar (which I very rarely get) and pheasant breast... thrown in a load of diced veggies (carrot, onion, peppers, spuds) and the amount I've made is far more than I alone could eat on Saturday.

If you want a group meal, I can throw the lot in a gallon Ziploc and bring a bigger pan to cook it up in... if not, I'll freeze the rest and just portion out for me.

Let me know ASAP please :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE