Suffolk Bushcraft Group

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yeah.. did wonder if it could be done... I would like to be able to close it up for really cold weather, and heat it as well :).. one of my next projects... a tent stove :)

I'm going to try this, http://thechive.com/2013/11/07/so-this-is-a-nifty-little-way-to-heat-your-room-video/
Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation

How heavy are rhe polish tipi tents, I have been looking at them today thinking about getting one for my son.

I'll weigh it properly tomorrow, but I'd say it's 2 kilos.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm going to try this, http://thechive.com/2013/11/07/so-this-is-a-nifty-little-way-to-heat-your-room-video/
Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation

I'll weigh it properly tomorrow, but I'd say it's 2 kilos.

Suggestion: If you're going to try that out, either place a suitably-sized bolt through the hole in the outer pot, or take a bean tin, cut holes around it, put it over the hole on the outer pot, then place a heat-proof container over the top (such as an upside-down fast food foil container).
This prevents a jet of absurdly hot air from blasting straight up out of the outer pot, and instead disperses the heat horizontally (which is where you want it)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Suggestion: If you're going to try that out, either place a suitably-sized bolt through the hole in the outer pot, or take a bean tin, cut holes around it, put it over the hole on the outer pot, then place a heat-proof container over the top (such as an upside-down fast food foil container).
This prevents a jet of absurdly hot air from blasting straight up out of the outer pot, and instead disperses the heat horizontally (which is where you want it)

Good idea, cheers Si.:You_Rock_

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Stu if you are thinking of making a stove, the chap at Newbourne sell .50 ammo boxes for £14.49 delivered, no doubt he would do a good deal for you, and he is the cheapest on eBay.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
ujy8ujyr.jpg
ooh look what I bought! A warbonnet blackbird hammock been after one for ages. Can't wait for it to arrive. I do like these early Xmas presents I buy myself

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Good news about the delivery's :)

well I been digging in my kit... and looks like I may even be going back to the good old mess tins this weekend, and the Hexi is coming out as well... not used the Mess tins for about 30 years... :)...

I was going to bring a a small frying pan as I am preparing a sausage stirfry for sat night, yum yum.

Ive got a stinking blxxdy cold but that wont stop me coming out........... I'm drinking Echinacea by the gallon to get better LOL.

I presume we are meeting arround Midday when you have finnished setting up the Archery?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I was going to bring a a small frying pan as I am preparing a sausage stirfry for sat night, yum yum.

Ive got a stinking blxxdy cold but that wont stop me coming out........... I'm drinking Echinacea by the gallon to get better LOL.

I presume we are meeting arround Midday when you have finnished setting up the Archery?

Sounds like a plan... just need to know for sure as I'll be getting a lift in, and if we're using a different clearing to last time I don't want to be stood around waiting (attracting unwanted attention)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I can bring you a suitable piece on Saturday... gives us something to do when all's set up etc.

Thinking of bringing a decent sized bit for Toby to make a spoon (if he wants to)

Yes please, I would love to have a go. I will bring some kevlar gloves, we have them in stock at work LOL

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu if you are thinking of making a stove, the chap at Newbourne sell .50 ammo boxes for £14.49 delivered, no doubt he would do a good deal for you, and he is the cheapest on eBay.

:) thank you, One in stock already... just got to get my bum in gear :) had it a few years now... waiting for a canvas tent:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah it'll be late morning/miday I finish at the club :), not sure where I will park may leave the motor at the club and walk in.. or may just leave at the normal place.

I am all packed, food is in.. just got to take the sleeping bag of the hanger and thats all done :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Yeah it'll be late morning/miday I finish at the club :), not sure where I will park may leave the motor at the club and walk in.. or may just leave at the normal place.

I am all packed, food is in.. just got to take the sleeping bag of the hanger and thats all done :)

I'm also packed and good to go. Will be getting a lift to the top of that byway and walking in from there. Packing my typical gear, extra cordage in case Toby needs any, and given that I'm carting in lumps of wood as well will probably bring an additional bag just to make things easier. Hopefully will be swapping out the Frontline for the Warbonnet before Saturday, though.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll be using my hammock this weekend.. as its already in my rucksack and it only one night, still I must admit I do like the floor now I got back into it, I can see myself going back to floor full time, next year I hope to sort out a new rucksack and a few other items.. :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Mine hasn't arrived yet (hoping it'll arrive today or tomorrow). I've ordered the 1.1 XLC with both covers.

Ya bugga that's the one I wanted, oh well at least I can see yours before I upgrade next, your material for the sock should arrive tomorrow, could only get olive green. So I will start on it and try and get it to you for the Xmas meet.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'll be using my hammock this weekend.. as its already in my rucksack and it only one night, still I must admit I do like the floor now I got back into it, I can see myself going back to floor full time, next year I hope to sort out a new rucksack and a few other items.. :)

Beauty of the PLCE side pouches is you can keep one pouch loaded for tree dwelling, another loaded for ground dwelling, and just swap them over whenever you need to.

I just can't get comfortable on the ground. I was out in the tent the night before last, and even though the ground was absolutely flat.... I was so uncomfortable I barely got a few hours' sleep.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Ya bugga that's the one I wanted, oh well at least I can see yours before I upgrade next, your material for the sock should arrive tomorrow, could only get olive green. So I will start on it and try and get it to you for the Xmas meet.

Is the one I've ordered "better"? I don't even know what the differences are supposed to be... I just read that the XLC was the "latest version" so I figured I'd grab that to benefit from any experience-gained improvements they might've made.

Glad to hear the material's arrived (OD Green is okay) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE