Suffolk Bushcraft Group

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Stu what time do they start to set up the targets? I have permission to help out as long as I am home for her to go to work at 1

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I know this is cheating a bit, but ive got loads of Hickory hammer handles at work so ive just split one in half to make a handle for my knife..... I have a lump of walnut but thought this might be easier. Dont know if hickory is anygood for the job or for carving but i can bring some saturday if anyone wants some, i reckon i could make a nice little spoon out of one of the offcuts?? but then im no expert so might be a bad idea?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Beauty of the PLCE side pouches is you can keep one pouch loaded for tree dwelling, another loaded for ground dwelling, and just swap them over whenever you need to.

I just can't get comfortable on the ground. I was out in the tent the night before last, and even though the ground was absolutely flat.... I was so uncomfortable I barely got a few hours' sleep.

I tend to take all my kit out every time and repack, look for damage and wear, some times like this occasion I was lazy when I got home, only unpacked the kit I had used.. and had not used the hammock so it did not get unpacked.... along with some of the other kit..

I must admit I did have trouble sleeping on the deck the first couple of times as its been about twenty years since I used to always do it, but now find it no problem, Even at the Boone it was ok with out any mat under me. in a way I think its the only way to do it if your going light weight, its also quicker if you dont use a camp bed... and with the bed roll even better...

One of my other projects i will do is a Canvas Bedroll :).

My feeling is the Hammock will evently be for wet ground areas.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know this is cheating a bit, but ive got loads of Hickory hammer handles at work so ive just split one in half to make a handle for my knife..... I have a lump of walnut but thought this might be easier. Dont know if hickory is anygood for the job or for carving but i can bring some saturday if anyone wants some, i reckon i could make a nice little spoon out of one of the offcuts?? but then im no expert so might be a bad idea?

Its not realy cheating mate, it just a pice of wood with knife scales in it, you just have to remove the bits around them to revel the scales.. :).. I have some ready made axe handles for the next three axes I am refubing, I'll be selling them :)..

The thing is to know how to make the things from scratch.. be it new or scrap.

Dam,,, this thread is moving quick... :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just thougth Chris... did you say you got some lathe gouges?... would it be posible to borrow a couple on teh pole lathe at the next meet please... I want to make my rake handle.. :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Of course I have the tools to use on the pole lathe, silly question really. I will bring them for the crimbo meet

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Finished another Beech spoon today (had already carved it, just needed to sand and finish). The Mrs wanted one after she saw the last one I made... so... happy wife, happy life :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Finished another Beech spoon today (had already carved it, just needed to sand and finish). The Mrs wanted one after she saw the last one I made... so... happy wife, happy life :)

Slippery slope..... lol, I've made loads of spoons for my Girl friends..never get them back...think they used them in their coldrons... lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu, what should I use to stick the handle on my knife? araldite or similar? or just rely on the rivets?

I always use the Rivets and Epoxy them as well :) dont forget to use a liner as well.. its a nice little addition to looks... and also give a base for teh handles to glue to as well :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
OH yeah sorry, yeah if you use something like leather/felt/rubber ect if its softer it evens out any lumps and dips in the handle and the Tang of the knife... I use leather and felt.. my last one was leather and green felt , this gave a nice green and brown line between the tang and handle,

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The way I do it is stick the leather/felt to the back of the handle before you put them on to then tang, then clamp up, when that has has gone off, I drip Superglue on the felt and leather which soaks it up, let it stand for a couple of days as its soaked in then you can sand off and the polish it :)...this also stops the leather felt soak up moisture in use :)...

I then finish of with a few coats of bees wax and buff it up :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Yeah I planned to beeswax it after. The I was going to speak to this guy I know who might be able to show me how to make a nice leather sheath (wink) and a dangler :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE