Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanks Colin, not sure of the wood,
I picked up a couple of logs in the area that I tried out the Lavvu and tarps. They had been there for a while so yes it could be ash, as there were a few Ash trees about, and as I have just looked up spalted, spalted ash is what it could be. I still have a couple of lengths if you would like one?

By the same token, I've got tons (literally) of Beech if anyone wants any (let me know the aprox diameter and length you need and I'll see if I can manage that)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks Colin, not sure of the wood,
I picked up a couple of logs in the area that I tried out the Lavvu and tarps. They had been there for a while so yes it could be ash, as there were a few Ash trees about, and as I have just looked up spalted, spalted ash is what it could be. I still have a couple of lengths if you would like one?

Cheers Mike, I'd like a piece if you can spare it.

By the same token, I've got tons (literally) of Beech if anyone wants any (let me know the aprox diameter and length you need and I'll see if I can manage that)

Only if you can spare a bit. :) Kuksa size? Cheers Si.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Very hard to carve is beech.

its is if you keep cutting fingers... lol

I'll have a new toy to handle soon... from Mr Budd of the Parish :),

Also want to turn a new handle for my Archery rake on the pole lathe at the next meet :)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thinks the same... can I have a bit for a Kuksa as well.. think its best to have a slice and spilt it in so you only use the heart wood.. that's if i remember right :)

I can bring you a suitable piece on Saturday... gives us something to do when all's set up etc.

Thinking of bringing a decent sized bit for Toby to make a spoon (if he wants to)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Finally got my Polish Lavvu set up today. Not as roomy as my tarp, but good enough. Seems good and sturdy, should keep the elements off.

That looks a nice hiddy hole for the winter.. :)

How long is that sleep mat Colin?

I can see a Polish Lavuu town growing at Price wood :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You don't have to set it up in a circular way. Pull the ends out slightly and tilt the pole then set up as an oval. You should gain an extra foot.

Yeah.. did wonder if it could be done... I would like to be able to close it up for really cold weather, and heat it as well :).. one of my next projects... a tent stove :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE