Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have shot one or two and to say their flight is loopy is an understatement, the points are at least 150 grn and as you have seen a lot wider than the shafts which are 5/16. I think I will experiment with 3 , after all they don't owe me anything.

Yeah there was a step between the shaft and the Pile, worth a try as you say they are a good price, and worth a go it will be interesting how it goes :)

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ozzy, do you have other heads of a lower weight, yes too much weight up front will make the arrows have a lower spine poundage same goes for to light a head can stiffen the arrow up.
Also if they are over 28in every inch over that you go down in 3 to 5 lb, you could put some tape around the string so that the arrows nock better?
We have a party Saturday night so not sure yet if I will make it to the shoot, I am working on it.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi Everyone, have been watching and reading with interest sorry to butt in, but I'm getting things ready to start coming out regularly now things at home and work have settled down a bit. (typical its winter).

The group has grown since I last came out so I looking forward to meeting everyone.

I just sorting my kit today and making sure everything fits where I want it etc and seeing how much it all weighs and although I have been using Tacties to mod my every day bag in to my camping pack but I would rather get hold of some Black Hawk Speed Clips, Does anyone know where in the uk I can get them please?

Thanks

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Here I am too much time on the WWW... watching TV.... hope that Leather dye drys soon....

On a day like this I should be out in the woods...... I am putting together a nice sheath and dangler.. well I hope its nice when its finished... it is for Mike.. hope you like it bud :) ...

Thanks for that Stu, I'm sure I will like it if its anything like the axe sheath.
Was told yesterday that we have a job the weekend of the christmas meet, I have said I'm not available but if work comes up where I normally work of a weekend I might be in trouble, as there are only 3 of us and its a bit thin to spread us all about, lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am glad that you agreed with me Steve, lol, it means that I've learnt something about tuning the arrow.. :).. I am hopefully going to get some 11/32's next week, I am going to get some of them Top hat adapters then have a play with pile weights, and sort out my arrow length as I still think I need to take an inch off my arrows..

I eventually want to tune these to broad heads so I can find my best arrows for Hunting next year'ish..lol

It would be good if you did make the shoot, no doubt we would have a giggle.. lol

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi Everyone, have been watching and reading with interest sorry to butt in, but I'm getting things ready to start coming out regularly now things at home and work have settled down a bit. (typical its winter).

The group has grown since I last came out so I looking forward to meeting everyone.

I just sorting my kit today and making sure everything fits where I want it etc and seeing how much it all weighs and although I have been using Tacties to mod my every day bag in to my camping pack but I would rather get hold of some Black Hawk Speed Clips, Does anyone know where in the uk I can get them please?

Thanks

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261337047451
I think that's what you are looking for, loads on eBay. Paul

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Thanks

Hi Toby good to see your still about, I am not a Tactile.. person.... well some girls would say I am, but not in the way you mean..lol.

It'll be good to see you out , and having fun as you can poberly see we have a great site now, with loads of potential.

Hope to catch up soon

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks for that Stu, I'm sure I will like it if its anything like the axe sheath.
Was told yesterday that we have a job the weekend of the christmas meet, I have said I'm not available but if work comes up where I normally work of a weekend I might be in trouble, as there are only 3 of us and its a bit thin to spread us all about, lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Thats no prob Mike, If I remember right you did not want a Ferro Rod holder, am I right?.

In some ways work is a pain when its there, but a pain when its not, you cant win when Self Employed, I had 12 years of it, lol... hope to see you at the Dec meet :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Hi Toby good to see your still about, I am not a Tactile.. person.... well some girls would say I am, but not in the way you mean..lol.

It'll be good to see you out , and having fun as you can poberly see we have a great site now, with loads of potential.

Hope to catch up soon

Hi Stu, yup still about, cant wait to get out again, getting all my kit sorted today, just ordered a sleep mat then gonna try it out in Rendlesham soon even if its just for the day and I want to try a new tarp set up i've seen on youtube. Look forward to catching up soon.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cromm I do have a the piles to replace them, I will do 3 tomorrow morning to see what they are like, if they work then the rest will follow. Good idea of taping the string. I know putting lighter piles on and shortening the shafts would make them stiffer but as these only cost £30 delivered from china I doubt that they have been spined, I might be surprised though.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi Paul, Thankyou, they are the kiddies yes, just wondered if they were sold in the UK?

If these guys https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/ cant help no one can.
Stu, had a great night out, testing my new winter stove I bought as it heats up the liquid gas as it goes
zebyve2a.jpg
you can use both camping gas and the cheap cartridge type both inverted. Worked great. The mod to the Swedish mess tin set was good too although I did find I had to push the trangia into the ground to lower it.
3usa3yru.jpg
yqeme4em.jpg
couldn't believe how light my pack was to walk with compared qith my usual mountain of kit. Slowly getting there. Bet you boys are getting excited, I tried talking the wife into moving her birthday but she's not having it, even offered her my spare hammock lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi Stu, yup still about, cant wait to get out again, getting all my kit sorted today, just ordered a sleep mat then gonna try it out in Rendlesham soon even if its just for the day and I want to try a new tarp set up i've seen on youtube. Look forward to catching up soon.

Give me a shout if you want some company on your testing trip.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ozzy sounds good, just a side note I dont think you can use arrows with vanes on like your other arrows in the AFB class. I think it is feather fletching s only.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
your right there steve they have to be natural fetching taken from the NFAS

"American Flatbow (AFB)
A one-piece bow, of any draw-weight, may be used where the braced limbs curve in one
direction only from the handle riser to the string nock. When braced the string must not come
into contact with the face of either limb except at the nock grooves. The limb cross-section
may vary from oval to rectangular.

The handle may incorporate a cut-away of less than centre-cut to provide an arrow-shelf and
the shelf may have a protective cover.

The bowstring may be of different colours as long as the coloured strands run continuously
and evenly throughout the string's length, but the centre serving must be of one colour. One
nocking position is permitted (which may be indicated by nocking points both above and below
the arrow).

Brush buttons and silencers are permitted but no other knots or attachments (in addition to the
sting serving) that could be used for sighting or location purposes are allowed. No additional
vibration dampeners are allowed on or in the handle section or limbs of the bow.
One anchor point must be maintained throughout the shoot. The "Mediterranean" loose only
is permitted. No draw-checks of any kind are permitted.

No internal or external stabilisers are allowed.

No form of release aid is permitted.

No deliberate marks can be added to the bow that can be used for aiming.

Arrows shafts must be of wood, fletched with natural feather.

No archer may refer to any memoranda which could in any manner be a means of improving
his or her score. "

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE