Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It would depend on which dictionary you use....:)

If you use the Oxford then you will get a different meaning for Primer to most other dictionary's, that I believe are lead and mostly Non English based due to that most words, due to the ever decreasing size of the world mainly due to the internet..and the growth of technology... all which have had an ever going influence on the bastardisation of our language.. you have only got to use spell checker even if its set to UK English to see the effect.

I would say a Yank term not English... OK we do use the word Primary in front of School for the first School to be attended... but I think you will find that in English "Primary" and "Prime" have different definition's

I would of thought its come from the place that most of the other rubbish comes from..... the US

There are a few good thing that do come from the US... and one of the is NOT MUCKKY D's

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It would depend on which dictionary you use....:)

If you use the Oxford then you will get a different meaning for Primer to most other dictionary's, that I believe are lead and mostly Non English based due to that most words, due to the ever decreasing size of the world mainly due to the internet..and the growth of technology... all which have had an ever going influence on the bastardisation of our language.. you have only got to use spell checker even if its set to UK English to see the effect.

I would say a Yank term not English... OK we do use the word Primary in front of School for the first School to be attended... but I think you will find that in English "Primary" and "Prime" have different definition's

I would of thought its come from the place that most of the other rubbish comes from..... the US

Primary and Prime have the same meaning here as they do in the US (initial, first, beginning etc)

Since the modern contextual definition comes from the Latin "prima" meaning "first" and with Latin itself being an homogenization of different languages up to and including the roman occupation of our land, it is very-much a legitimate part of the English language. It certainly doesn't come from America (though I will grant you that they have bastardized the English language more than any other colony, and whenever I see the option for "English" with an American flag, I die a little inside)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Here I am too much time on the WWW... watching TV.... hope that Leather dye drys soon....

On a day like this I should be out in the woods...... I am putting together a nice sheath and dangler.. well I hope its nice when its finished... it is for Mike.. hope you like it bud :) ...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Primary and Prime have the same meaning here as they do in the US (initial, first, beginning etc)

I have not looked to see where it derives from, and like many words that have the same beginning, are and will be used differently, but I would of thought that they would of the ending of the word "ary" as such would show it would mean some thing slightly different the just the "e" on the end.. its just my simple view.. but hey ho..

Or there is no real need from it apart for looking cleaver. :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
You might the Snape circular walk (the "North Walk" as it's sometimes called by locals). It's not the biggest walk in the world, but has a good overnight camping potential in a woodland once you get over the marshes (don't worry, the walkway is on top of a kind of levy, so you won't be trudging through mud up to your neck). I've spent a few nights in that woodland and it's been very quiet. There's no hunting permitted there, so no beaters/shooters to think about. Not seen any signs of chavs boozing it up in there either (probably because it's quite a ways from anywhere)

Thanks Simon I will look into that. Just weighed my "ultralight" bergan ready for a night out, lol its 29lb but then that is an army one with 2ltr of water attached. Been looking at the roll top rucksacks they weigh 1lb! Going to modify the hammock to be able to remove the bug net as I don't need it now with the hammock sock. Saw a superb mod to the Swedish Army mess tin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PMoUqDHJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Just done it to mine.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanks Simon I will look into that. Just weighed my "ultralight" bergan ready for a night out, lol its 29lb but then that is an army one with 2ltr of water attached. Been looking at the roll top rucksacks they weigh 1lb! Going to modify the hammock to be able to remove the bug net as I don't need it now with the hammock sock. Saw a superb mod to the Swedish Army mess tin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PMoUqDHJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Just done it to mine.

The Mrs and I are making some "ultralight" hammocks that're more than strong enough to hold even the heftiest man, but so small when folded down you could fit it in your pocket (actually, you can fit 4 of them in your pocket if you're wearing combat pants).
I can make you one if you're interested :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
The Mrs and I are making some "ultralight" hammocks that're more than strong enough to hold even the heftiest man, but so small when folded down you could fit it in your pocket (actually, you can fit 4 of them in your pocket if you're wearing combat pants).
I can make you one if you're interested :)

If you can work a footbox into it I'd definitely be up for it, that's my next mission

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Chris, Steve, I am going to book on to the shoot next Sunday over at Oakwood.. :).. Are you Coming ? if so we should see if we can shoot together ?

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am gutted I cant make it, I will have to see if she can swap something around. If only a set of grand parents lived that way instead of 1/2m away from each other the other side of Stowmarket

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am gutted I cant make it, I will have to see if she can swap something around. If only a set of grand parents lived that way instead of 1/2m away from each other the other side of Stowmarket

That's a shame...

You could always invite them for Sunday lunch , leave them the ingredients then if your luck you may have a Roast for you on your return.. :)... LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE