Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The questions are really quite simple, a bit of common sense is all that's needed, don't forget your average American redneck can pass this thing.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am sure I have seen 1 or 2 states require some form of formal training for hunting specific to the tool used, cant rememner which ones though.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Dam PC keeps locking up.... I just found this on the website... I must admit it surprises me that there is so much of the US that has legislation ....

50 states, 10 Canadian provinces, three Northwest Territories, and Mexico. A separate bowhunter education course is required in many of the states and provinces to comply with the bowhunting laws and regulations in those jurisdictions.

The states and provinces requiring an IBEP course are:

Alaska
Connecticut
Idaho
Maine
Montana
Nebraska
New Brunswick
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Nova Scotia
Quebec
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
There you go I didn't know that, off the top of my head I would have said half of those. Lucky the parts of the USA that ive been asked to hunt in are not any of those ones. I know alot of them have a minimum bow weight and type of broadheads that can be used.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
There you go I didn't know that, off the top of my head I would have said half of those. Lucky the parts of the USA that ive been asked to hunt in are not any of those ones. I know alot of them have a minimum bow weight and type of broadheads that can be used.

Yeah I really surprised me... would of thought in the land of the gun/hunting most would just let you hunt.... we all live and learn... just got to get mine done may finish it this weekend..... then early next year look for the practical part...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It is surprising the length of the list, I guess we think of the us as still totally unregulated, but it looks like regulations are creeping in.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Just emailed a few friends in the USA and asked about the regs for bow hunters, and they all say that hunters ed is something you would do in school and nearly everyone does it in one form or another. But as archery is an all year activity you are on top of your game most of the year. The thing is you buy your licences/tags for a certain amount of animals and if you shoot more than that you go to jail for a long time, they do not play around at all. Also the guys I know hunt to fill the freezer. Not saying that there isn't bad hunters out there but on a whole if they like to do something they do it at the best they can.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have just found this on a forum about what to take... to the pratcial
Equipment requirements

"Just to make sure everybody knows ,
For the day you will need arrows with field points & broadheads ( at least three broad head tipped arrows please )
I'll also be bringing along our stock of v.p.a broad heads & sgt's plus some other bits & bobs of useful hunting kit for sale, so bring some spending money folks ;)"

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have just had conformation from Kevin that he is willing to run the Skill Share of Map Reading and Navigation for the February Meet.

Thank you Kevin for offering to do this :)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Been offline for a bit. I saw there was a shout out about first aid courses if people have been on them. I went on a day first aid course for canoeing last year and an wilderness first aid one a couple of years before. I'll probably do another one of the wilderness ones some time this year, as I'm now in charge of the climbing club.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE