Sub Zero Crew (Fahrenheit not Centigrade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks useful too, and there is an English translation which is helpful as well.

What? You mean everyone in the world does not understand Swedish? Strange world we have these days...

Can you print off maps from there or is it an order service for paper copies?

I *think* you can screen-grab bits, and perhaps also download GIS source files for smaller sections, but it was years since I had the need for that, so I have no idea what the current policy is.

I have similar problems with timing but I can at least take the time off.

I just lose a lot of money if I do it in term time.

I can take the time off, but a week would cost me 25% of that months pay. During breaks I can get away free of charge, so to say.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Count me in as a definite maybe!

1. udamiano
2. Teepee
3. Wayland
4. Lennart
5. Imagedude
6. Ted W

I'd go for the train option, and the forest hut with days/nights out in shelters as I pleased, so I'd want to be free to cut wood and make fire - but it's good to have a warm dry place to get back to if things turn bad! Not bothered where in the snowy North we go, particularly - the markt would only be one interesting day for me - so if Forestwalker has contacts we can use, why not? And I fully understand this is an individual journey I'm undertaking on my own volition and at my own risk!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Ted

udamiano

On a new journey
so been doing a little bit of research.

It seems that there are two possible options for the Brits intending to go

1. Fly to Stockholm, then catch the sleeper train to Jokkmokk there is one change (onto the local line, I think this is at Gallivare)
2. Fly to Lulea (London Airports) can catch a local train to Jokkmokk

Lulea is about 50 miles SE of Jokkmokk, but I'm unsure of the local train station (if there is one) or prices

Stockholm will probably be cheaper as its a larger more international airports (there are 3), which services a larger number of carries and flights. I used the 'Arlanda' airport as this has a number of flights from the UK from many off our international airports (Manchester,Liverpool, Birmingham,etc)
The sleeper train costs about £400 return if you want a single private cabin with all the trimmings

For those who really do like to fly.. a third option if you don't mind the cost

you can get an internal flight from Arlanda to Gallivare for about SEK 3698.00 then you would need to get to Jokkmokk either by train or bus ? (about 73Km)

Jokkmokk airport is approx 17Km from the town centre.

I've emailed Jokkmokk's tourist office to enquire as to any other options for international flights and exchanges

There is a campsite situated just on the outskirts of the town for those hardy souls who wish to camp. I've emailed them to ask about season opening, and rough costs and facilities although from what i did see, it looked pretty much top notch on that score

Any more info, Ill post over the time between now and going

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
So Bob, are you happy to take full responsibility for Drew and other inexperienced peoples safety on such an event? I know I'm not.

We were fortunate not to face extreme conditions on the Arctic course that has just run. There I would agree with the statement made above but had the conditions been -30°C or colder, like the temperatures faced at this years Jokkmokk Market things could have been very different.

I'm afraid I think attendance of a professionally run course or similar experience such as military training, should be a minimum requirement for people joining this project.

i agree wayland and that is why i stated my interest but said i would have leave out untill i had the required skills and equipment

drew

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Unfortunately it comes down to responsibility.

We are not a business, nor are we a constituted club or society and we are therefore not insured or indemnified.

Everyone attending has to do so on their own responsibility.

Of course we will look out for each other, as any reasonable person would, but if people start losing fingers or toes from frost bite we can't afford for them to come after us for some kind of compensation because they didn't know what they were getting into.

This is a meet up and nothing more.

In order to facilitate this meet up we may be able to organise some group discounts for travelling and the like but that implies no responsibility.

We recommend that people attending make sensible preparations of their own such as taking a relevant course or gaining prior experience in this kind of environment. We may advise them or even make suggestions about the type of equipment that would be wise to take to such a meet up but it is down to individuals to take such measures and precautions themselves.

There is nothing to stop anybody booking into a hotel or a camp site on their own and meeting us there. However, if they want to join us in organization of group discounts etc. we will probably ask whether they have some experience and suitable equipment.

As someone said above, watching people die of hypothermia is not on our wish list.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Who decides that?

You do, attendees should be confident that they will be comfortable regardless of weather conditions and will be able to cope without needing the help of others. Are you thinking of simply going to the market or staying longer and doing exciting stuff?

where-the-magic-happens.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your going a month a so earlier next year so are likely to experience proper Arctic weather, do you think you now have enough experience to be there without an experienced guide/tutor?

udamiano

On a new journey
Your going a month a so earlier next year so are likely to experience proper Arctic weather, do you think you now have enough experience to be there without an experienced guide/tutor?

Simply Yes, I've both .

The expected weather conditions will be about -30 - -40 degrees Celsius not including the windchill for those interested. and a couple of metres of snow fall

As noted above, any individual undertakes this purely under their own choice, This has only been advertised in the context of a group meet, that just happens to be within the arctic circle, and as thus any individual must make their own decision as to their suitability to attend, In the same way you would do so, on any other meet. As Wayland and myself have pointed out This is not being offered as any sort of course, any member who attends does so under the understanding that NO liability is accepted by ANY member attending for any other member attending, So If unsure as to whether, or not the appropriate experience exists, I would suggest the case would be no. It has also been pointed out that anyone is more than capable of supplying their own transport, accommodation, and merely attending on their own, without meeting others.

I will be taking amble equipment and supplies conclusive to the area that I'm staying, and will also have appropriate emergency and contingency plans for the worst case scenarios, with the equipment to support.
I would strongly advise others to make similar plans, and have appropriate equipment to support this environment. Any member of this meet is NOT liable or responsible for any other member, or their suitability, or equipment, It is just a few like minded people who happen to be traveling to the same place, at the same time, and have decided to travel together.

Thank you however for your concern, which should be noted.

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
You do, attendees should be confident that they will be comfortable regardless of weather conditions and will be able to cope without needing the help of others. Are you thinking of simply going to the market or staying longer and doing exciting stuff?

where-the-magic-happens.jpg

Ow yes, Ive got a whole list of fun stuff, that i want to do, while I'm there :cool: and it keeps getting bigger. definitely going to be like a fat kid in a sweet shop :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE