Sub Zero Crew (Fahrenheit not Centigrade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Ill do some research over the next week or so, and see what I can come up with.

LOL

No I was thinking something a bit more warmimg, something made from pears IIRC (after a couple though it all goes blank LOL) something I can possibly use as a fuel source in emergency :cool:

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This thread is about a group hang from HF that took off from Gallivare and went hauling on skis and slowshoes into Muddus, a national park near to Jokkmokk. I didn't go on it because of the course this year. Some nice pics of hauling, snowy hammocks and the area.

I'm in contact to see if its possible to hook up with them for this winter in that area.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
This thread is about a group hang from HF that took off from Gallivare and went hauling on skis and slowshoes into Muddus, a national park near to Jokkmokk. I didn't go on it because of the course this year. Some nice pics of hauling, snowy hammocks and the area.

I'm in contact to see if its possible to hook up with them for this winter in that area.

Pity only one of them took a tent, with more tents they wouldn't have to compromise their safety looking for a suitable place to camp...

We had to give up the ideas on reaching the safe house,
we decided to backtrack and look for a camp.

Did I ever mention how much I hate hammocks?:lmao:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can you ask those skiing sailors what type of Ski, boot and binding they were using?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I told them it was you asking.......

..happy to tell you they were Sorel Caripoo's, gaffer taped onto whittled railway sleepers....:p

I'll seriously ask them mate. I understand though that Icetrek bindings are still the best.

Last edited:

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
And yet another web based map service to help you plan your
adventures!

Ethics-Jokkmokkmap.jpg

Go to
http://gis.lst.se/lanskartor/

Choose Norrbotten county in the menu to the left and press
"Öppna tittskåp".

That's one of the maps provided by the County Administrative Board.

:)

Edit: This is cool because it changes map the more you zoom. At the
highest resolution in cities you get a map that's printed on to an aerial
photograp, that you can see if you look closely. That way you can even
see small clearings, some foot paths, telephone lines and such.

Last edited:

forestwalker

I'll seriously ask them mate. I understand though that Icetrek bindings are still the best.

I would suggest -- for bushcraft style winter travel -- either the Tegsnäs Epok (third from the top on the page) the Olskogens jägarbindning or the Berwin. I know the first two from personal experince as functional binding that will accomodate almost any boot (Olskogen has a metal part by the toe, so sorrels may or may not work, the Tegsnäs just has a strap around the front of the foot, and should work with anything). At least one of the pairs of skis used looked like either Olskogen or Tegsnäs.

I am given to understand that Icetrek is more of a polar binding, and also runs about 2-3 time what the somewhat expensive Berwin runs (the Olskogen and Tegsnäs both run about SEK 450-500 (UKP 45 or so). If you boots fit inside the Olskogen toe "iron" (actually aluminium) I think they give a slightly better "lock" then the Tegsnäs, but either one works brilliantly.

Incidentally, the trick when breaking trail for a pulk is for the rest of the group to go first, and break the trail with one extra skis width (every other person use the center and left track, the rest use the center and right). Then the pulk will fit, unless you have some extra wide abomination.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
And yet another web based map service to help you plan your
adventures!

Ethics-Jokkmokkmap.jpg

Go to
http://gis.lst.se/lanskartor/

Choose Norrbotten county in the menu to the left and press
"Öppna tittskåp".

That's one of the maps provided by the County Administrative Board.

:)

I love this forum.

I've been looking for something like that. I would never have found it on my own.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great stuff guys, thanks for the binding info and map. Thats saved some research time. :)

I'll check those links out.

forestwalker

I love this forum.

I've been looking for something like that. I would never have found it on my own.

You can also order maps from http://www.lantmateriet.se/ (at least I think you can even if you are located abroad). For communities and road distances http://kartor.eniro.se is fairly good (enter destination in the white field, press "Kartsök", zoom as you care to, under "vägbeskrivning" you can find the -- nominally -- best road route from somewhere else to where you are going).

As to joining the trip: depending on location and dates I'll join up (well, if you want it around here I can sort out locations and stuff for you as well). Tricky to take time off in the middle of the term when you are a teacher...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That looks useful too, and there is an English translation which is helpful as well.

Can you print off maps from there or is it an order service for paper copies?

I have similar problems with timing but I can at least take the time off.

I just lose a lot of money if I do it in term time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE