Sub Zero Crew (Fahrenheit not Centigrade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
How about a plan B for the Advanced Arctic course?

It appears we have more than enough people to do some sort of trip in Norway in the week of 10-16 march 2012. Should for some as yet unknown reason the course not go through as planned, perhaps we can meet for a snow shoe trip or some other snow adventure (perhaps backcountry skiing)?
Of course we all hope the course will run, but it can't hurt to be prepared, can it? ;)

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Hope you guys have fun.

Have to agree with grey owl if you've not spent at least a few weeks in those temperatures you may find it very very diificult to just set up camp, you can't really get away with making a less than perfect job and firewood demands are unbelievably high compared to Britain. Moving is incredibly difficult.

If you south of the cairngorms you'll probably find it especially difficult to adapt.

Though you are going in march when it's not anywhere near as good as it could be.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
How about a plan B for the Advanced Arctic course?

It appears we have more than enough people to do some sort of trip in Norway in the week of 10-16 march 2012. Should for some as yet unknown reason the course not go through as planned, perhaps we can meet for a snow shoe trip or some other snow adventure (perhaps backcountry skiing)?
Of course we all hope the course will run, but it can't hurt to be prepared, can it?

Despite Woody's warnings, I'm sure I'm going to book soon and will be going to Norway anyhow so I'm in for planning a backup trip.

Hope you guys have fun.

Have to agree with grey owl if you've not spent at least a few weeks in those temperatures you may find it very very diificult to just set up camp, you can't really get away with making a less than perfect job and firewood demands are unbelievably high compared to Britain. Moving is incredibly difficult.

If you south of the cairngorms you'll probably find it especially difficult to adapt....

With the onset of autumn and winter this year bringing unusually high temps, Its going to be even more of a struggle I think. I'm noticing that I'm not feeling as warm outside as the last few years, as I've not spent anywhere near as much tme outside in the cold. As soon as the temps drop, I'm making big efforts to sleep ouside as often as possible and do as many trips up north to the snow as I can to try to acclimatise again.

I was reading a blog about working in the antarctic recently. Every year when the staff are rotated, the overwintered staff are outside in minimal clothing in the antarctic summer watching the new guys get off the plane dressed like michelin man and complaining of how cold they feel. 6 months in the antarctic winter and they have adapted, wearing minimal clothing at -30 odd the following summer. I'm contsantly surprised at the bodies ability to adapt to its environment.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
I've heard similar stories, i have a friend from california who finds it cold constantly here, i had trouble acclimatising when i moved back and forth from canada to Scotland where i found it horrendously cold over there.

Most folk in Britain don't even have winter clothes preferring just an extra layer.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
In our house we try to go without central heating the whole year. Not only good for your bank account but also for the internal thermostat. My wife used to be cold all the time, but after living with me for 10 years and giving birth to our daughter, she walks around in a T-shirt when I would like to put on a sweater.

After having suffered from very cold hands on top of the Nadelhorn in the Alps some years ago, I find I need to take care of my hands more as they now become painful from the cold sooner than before.

Perhaps a workshop with the Dutch iceman would be good preparation ;)

Teepee, we could start thinking of the plan B and see who else is up for it.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
You guys better post 100 pics each, i think my col weather time is over now due to being old lol, my 40 years in Canada were great but please pay head to my warning, get as many overnights as possible, it will prepare you better, if your an office jockey your better staying at home cooking the dinner and looking after the bairns :p

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In our house we try to go without central heating the whole year. Not only good for your bank account but also for the internal thermostat. My wife used to be cold all the time, but after living with me for 10 years and giving birth to our daughter, she walks around in a T-shirt when I would like to put on a sweater.

After having suffered from very cold hands on top of the Nadelhorn in the Alps some years ago, I find I need to take care of my hands more as they now become painful from the cold sooner than before.

Perhaps a workshop with the Dutch iceman would be good preparation ;)

Teepee, we could start thinking of the plan B and see who else is up for it.

The Iceman is something else, seen him on TV over here. He must be half Penguin. I'm agog at what he does.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Northern-Lights-over-Camp-Quinzhee.jpg

Time to start thinking about this now.

How about a trip to the Jokkmokk Winter Market?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are a whole load of events at the Museum running up to the market proper, take a look at the schedule.

I could spend a week there with no problem but if you include the every day camp routines and just going off for a walk from time to time I'm sure most of us could fill the time.

I enjoy exercising my mind more than body these days.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
There are a whole load of events at the Museum running up to the market proper, take a look at the schedule.

I did, it looks like an interesting way for Christian basket weavers to kill a wet Tuesday afternoon. The same guff seems to get repeated every day, however, watching the video on their homepage between 38 and 40 seconds in I may be seeing something of interest to me. Roll me a fat one Ingrid.

forestwalker

I could spend a week there with no problem but if you include the every day camp routines and just going off for a walk from time to time I'm sure most of us could fill the time.

I enjoy exercising my mind more than body these days.

You should be able to find a site with buss traffic along a road, then you could take the buss, jump off and head out into the woods a km or two. Would save you the long road haul that ate Waylands pulk.

My suggestion -- Ånn -- would be further south, but that would most likely mean a bit milder winter (no real risk of -40, which is possible in Jokkmokk). On the other hand Jokkmokk is more "true north", so by that standard it is a better pick. If picking Ånn, then you could reach Östersund by train or plane, and use local transport to Ånn (buss). If you go to Jokkmokk the best option is either flight direct to Kiruna, or night-train from Stockholm to Kiruna

If you want tundra there is e.g. Lannavaara (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lannavaara), which is NE of Kiruna. Small village (pop 92 says wikipedia) with a small grocery store, one can rent small self service cottages or go out into the wild and camp. Not as much to do culturally as Jokkmokk (but there is some, including gold panning in summer, an old church, etc). I'm sure we could get a talk from some of the older Sami, as well as buying crafts directly from the maker. If we arrange access to a fixed lavu or a hut we would have better base to work from, and some safety margin.

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
Yes Im up for it, sounds very interesting, and it will be good to get back to the north, I've missed it over the last couple of years.

February 2013 if I got the dates correct ?

Anyone heard any news about the ferry being put back on yet. I would be happy to drive over, and that would certainly increase our range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE