Sub £100 automatic watch recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are good watches. Not superbly accurate - they tend to lose or gain a couple of minutes a week. Thats doesn't stress me hugely to be honest. The luminous feature is fine, they run well. I got a Seiko divers off Rapidboy and its similar in accuracy terms.

My old one was given to my friends son who has worn it on three tours to Afghanistan and still likes it Thats good enough in my book.

+1 on what Red said.

I have a chunky automatic Seiko divers watch - looses exactly 2 mins every week. Just adjust it with the pips every weekend.

But it's tough as old boots, and I love it, best £100 odd I ever spent. Had it for about 5 or 6 years now, never take it off, and the glass (crystal) isn't even scratched.

Look good on Nato straps too if you fancy a change now and then.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
+1 for the Seiko too, my first I bought myself as an 18th birthday prezzie, still works and keeps time perfectly but the metal strap is kaput and I've gone off of the metal strap. Also managed to bent the winder/adjuster when I dropped it. Replaced it last year for the green on you link to in the OP . Doesn't keep perfect time, depends if I leave it off or on for too long, but only mins a week and can be solved by remembering to take it off at night. Glass as ever highly scratch resistant and the green face strap is rather natty. Though as I bought my best mate one at the same time we could sometimes be mistaken for special forces... luckily the grey hair and expanding waistlines make up for the matching watches and weather beaten look. Have had some posh watches but these are reliable, cost effective, don't have to be sent away to be re-gassed and sealed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Cheers for the link, I've retired old faithful due to the bent winder, I know I could have it repaired but I fancied a new colour face and thought the old lass deserved a rest. Will maybe get her all kitted out and fixed up when the cash is a bit more plentiful. If only Rolex watches like the one in your pick were the same price.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I accidentally dropped a Seiko 5 auto 15' down a tank. It landed face down in half an inch of sea water and cracked the glass. The local jeweller reckoned it would cost more to repair than it was worth and suggested I carry on using it whilst it kept good time. It kept good time for another 8 years during which time the dial turned green and it fogged-up periodically. One day it stopped for good, so I committed it to the deep and bought another. At the moment I have a Timex Expedition which must be about due to run out of battery. When it does I hope I have the 60 quid spare to replace it with a Seiko. If not, it'll be another Timex.

Cheers for the link, I've retired old faithful due to the bent winder, I know I could have it repaired but I fancied a new colour face and thought the old lass deserved a rest. Will maybe get her all kitted out and fixed up when the cash is a bit more plentiful. If only Rolex watches like the one in your pick were the same price.

That's not my watch (I wish), just a shot I found.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Another +1 for Seiko's - I have had them since my dad got me one when I was 10yrs old :) Using the monster diver at the mo, built like a tank with great lume !! The only ones I would steer away from is the seiko 5 range as they are the budget, bottom end of the seiko range :(

On a side issue, is that you'll find that the TAG battery replacement includes a tank test and re-issue of a depth certificate from TAG to guarantee it's waterproof to a certain depth :) Well worth doing !!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE