Strange artifact

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
It looks certainly old to me,and i wouldn't be surprised if it's an oil-lamp.
Take it to a museum and let them shine a light on it.

Theo

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
State archeologist (I didn't even know we had a state archeologist until now) says it's a 17th or 18th century ink well.

How it ended up in a river is anyone's guess. Perhaps the river changed course and washed away a cabin, or perhaps Indians threw it there after an attack, as they were in the habit of destroying whatever they couldn't use.

We're going to hike back there when the snow melts to see if we can find anything else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Interesting :cool: Not what I was expecting I admit, but there you go.
Thanks for letting us know :)
Is 17th or 18th century early for European settlement in your part of the world ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:) Well........ technically it could be perceived that it was European colonisation that was causing the indigenous folks trouble, iimmc.
Not being judgemental, just conscious that our certain past was their very uncertain future.

Did you find out what the inkwell was made from ? and are they common finds ?

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was right!
That has to be a first for me! :)
I would love that kind of thing on my shelves - you are very lucky to have found it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you have serpentine or soapstone John ?
They both carve easily and would make one of these very tidily with a pocket knife and a file.

cheers,
M

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
State archeologist (I didn't even know we had a state archeologist until now) says it's a 17th or 18th century ink well....

I wouldn't take their word for that, not unless they can show you a similar example which is known to be an ink well. It just seems very complex to be a pot for dipping your pen in. I still think it has something to do with cord.
If it was me I'd look for a second opinion, or at least ask to see a similar specimen.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do you have serpentine or soapstone John ?
They both carve easily and would make one of these very tidily with a pocket knife and a file.

cheers,
M

It is more about the finding of an interesting artifact than the making :)
I have carved several items (inc small memorial stones for my parents) from Old Red Sandstone using no more than a penknife and old files :)

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Well it does look about the right size for an inkwell, but having 5 holes is quite unusual. Most (old) inkwells only have one ? But then I'm no expert.

If you do go back for a look at the area, check out the local rocks and see if it may have been fashioned from local material, or bought in from somewhere else. If its local rock, it suggest it was made by someone living in the area. .... In fact if you can identify the type of rock it is made from it may suggest where it came from. I'll guess that it was probably made by someone locally, I don't think it is the sort of thing which would have been carried a long way (but please prove me wrong).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well it does look about the right size for an inkwell, but having 5 holes is quite unusual. Most (old) inkwells only have one ? But then I'm no expert.

If you do go back for a look at the area, check out the local rocks and see if it may have been fashioned from local material, or bought in from somewhere else. If its local rock, it suggest it was made by someone living in the area. .... In fact if you can identify the type of rock it is made from it may suggest where it came from. I'll guess that it was probably made by someone locally, I don't think it is the sort of thing which would have been carried a long way (but please prove me wrong).

I tend to agree with you but here in the Southeast the evidence suggests that the Indian nations had pretty lengthy trade routes even in the pre-Columbian period. It seems that coastal stone for tool and decorative use was prized by the inland peoples. I don't know about the nations in the New Hampshire and Northeast area but I would think they did as well.

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Did some Googling and found pics of ceramic inkwells with similar designs.

I'm no geologist, and didn't think to ask the state archeologist, but it looked like our local igneous rock. We are "the Granite state". (We actually have more Schist than Granite, but who wants to be "the Schist state"?)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend who insists he's going to his grave wearing a Sutton Hoo helm, a Roman gladius, a Scottish sgian dubh, a Brown Bess Musket by his side and old fashioned British army hobnail boots on his feet :rolleyes:
Gonna be a bit of a bugger sorting that one out, let alone the titanium jaw pins for crowns and the artificial heart valve :D

Isn't archaeology fun :approve:

cheers,
M

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
Haha, I've already told my lady that I want to be buried with as random a selection of items as possible in order to cause confusion to future archaeologists.

Now I just have to hope all internet records are corrupted and lost before then so they won't realise what we're up to!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE