Strange artifact

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
A friend of mine found this in a river in New Hampshire. We can't figure out what it is. All five holes meet, and the inside is more or less hollow. My gut feeling is that it can't be ancient, but it was a long way from civilization. My only idea is that it may have been some kind of oil lamp, with wicks in the small holes and the large center hole being for filling. There are no traces of oil or soot, but that could be because it had been under water for a long time.

artifact.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's an easily carvable stone, it could be a net weight. Certainly a complex bit of carving though.

It'd be interesting to find out :)

cheers,
M

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
What ever it is someone has taken a fair bit of time making it ,hope you find out what it is,and let us all know

Cheers

Jason

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
That's a fascinating object. Obviously a lot of work has gone into it. Having the holes meet in the middle must be intentional and could be to create a reservoir, or could be to thread something ? It seems quite small, so as a lamp it wouldn't last too long esp if it had multiple wicks ? It its "modern" it could be an ink well ?
It appears to have a flat base, and looks fairly deep for its width, so it I assume it will sit and be stable. The two sets of lines, around the top, forming rectangles seem to be purely decorative which suggests that the object is for personal use, perhaps indoors, rather that a hard working utilitarian object ? No one would go to that detail unless it was to be seen and appreciated for a long period of time.
I'm not familiar your (part of the world) indigenous materials, art and styling, but I'd suggest contacting a local historic group, archeologist or museum for a comment. Just send them the photo and see what they have to say.

I'd be fascinated to know if you ever get an explanation.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd say it is of ritual significance...... but might get in trouble from Mary

is it involved in rope making? to feed 4 lines into a larger cord/rope?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
SWMBO suggests that it could be a part of something like the multi-piped hookah's that you sometimes see from the middle east. maybe a tobacco burner in the large central hole with pipes for the smokers from the four smaller holes. it'd nicely tick the box of "ritual significance"!

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE