Stove advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
PC2K said:
in the end, what matters is you knowledge of your gear, what i can and can't do. Every type of stove has it's place.

Certain gascannisters ( the iso butane) will work at colder temperatures, although liquid seems to do best with attitude and cold. Although a liquid fuel stove can fail too. I heard people having the hightech liquid fuel stove fail, when there are to high.

I'm kind of suprised to read so many positive feedback about MSR, there stoves seams to be build of lesser quality materials the primus or optimus stoves. And most importly primus and optimus uses a alluminium pump, way strong, durable and safer.

I agree, the MSR stoves are good when they work, but the build quality is just not as good as the Primus or Optimus stoves, and the MSR pump is well known for failing.

A Trangia setup is not fast (whats all the rush about anyway), but it works everytime and will never fail so long as you have fuel. You can always buy a Nova at a later date as your funding improves and match it with the Trangia. This is the route I would take if looking for a primary stove setup (remember, the model 25 is the big set, the model 27 the small set when buying online or you could end up with the wrong size for your needs).

Thats the larger Trangia and a 1 litre fuel bottle

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
:wow1: thanks for all the advice :You_Rock_

to make things more simple for me... :lmao:

...if you could use one stove, which would it be? Im after something light, small and quick :cool:

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
On impulse I bought the jetboil! i saw it through that link chass_brookes put on here for just £40 or so! had to do it. That will do me for most of my trips, and may invest in a trangia in the next few weeks as a back up for when it is too cold for the gas.

Thanks for all the advice, has definatly given me some stuff to think about :)

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
what do you mean by altitude? 1000m 2000m?
I have had nothing but problems with stoves since I came back to europe. I used a small (tiny) little gas burner in Asia in all weathers (except deep cold) down to minus 10 at altitudes up to 3000m. It was absolutely perfect.
Europe: Bought a primus which is very very tempremental and just stops burning occasionally. Then I bought a trangia which I can respect but don't like mostly because it's heavy and smelly.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
jerv said:
what do you mean by altitude? 1000m 2000m?
I have had nothing but problems with stoves since I came back to europe. I used a small (tiny) little gas burner in Asia in all weathers (except deep cold) down to minus 10 at altitudes up to 3000m. It was absolutely perfect.
Europe: Bought a primus which is very very tempremental and just stops burning occasionally. Then I bought a trangia which I can respect but don't like mostly because it's heavy and smelly.

Which Primus, gas or liquid fuel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE