Stove advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
Now I know using a stove isnt very bushcrafty! but when you are at the top of a snowy mountain, there sometimes isnt much choice :lmao:

so im thinking of either a simple pocketrocket, or the more expensive but sufficient JetBoil Pcs

Does anyone have any experience of the two? how did they perform?

cheers, Bunn

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Remember that all liquid gas stoves suffer in the cold, output drops dramatically as the temperature falls.

This weekend in Brecon, it took a small gas stove around 10 mins to boil a half litre of water for a brew, my Nova boiled a litre in around 4 mins. Don't rule out liquid fuel stoves as a stove option, they perform better, burn hotter, and are cheaper to run

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
Any idea where I can get one at a good price? I dont mind paying £60 like they go for in the shops, or 50 on ebay, but cheaper is always good :rolleyes:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
for a well build liquid stove, go for optimus or primus.

If you want the option to burn both liquid aswell as gascannisters, go for the primus multi fuel stove or omnifuel. Both are good stoves.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
MSR ultralight stoves are great, i have the dragonfly - ebay brand new for £50, with repair kit etc, not bootle tho.
its one of those things that youre bloody glad you bought when you need it!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
MSR Dragonfly roars like a harrier jump jet - I absolutely love mine and it would be my weapon of choice every time. A mate of mine took a Jetboil up Ben Nevis last year and nearly left it there he was so unimpressed with it. It seems that the fuel cans need to be kept warm to get reliable performance in lower temps. It is also worth keeping a watchful eye on the new rival system by MSR that if memory serves is due to launch very soon. Check out this link for more info and a comparisson to the jetboil. I must confess to being a bit of an MSR fan owning both the Dragonfly and Pocket Rocket both of which I absolutely cannot fault

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Gotta echo what everyone else here is saying about gas cannister stoves and low temperatures... You get to the stage where you're holding the gas cannister over the stove trying to warm it up enough to get a brew going, thinking "this is not a good idea..."

Plus you end up with a cupboard full of mostly-empty gas cannisters - too empty to be worth carrying, too full to throw out... About the only time I could imagine firing up my old Epigas Alpine would be if the gas went off in the house.

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Tried jetboil (it was free with a trail credit card!!) at the weekend whilst off canoeing. very impressed. made my noodles hot enough to burn my tounge! Would suspect that it will always be better at lower levels/higher tempretature - just because of the problems gas will always face in these adverse conditions.

I have a MSR whisperlite which I love (must find the fuel bottle sometime!) & if MSR are bringing our a version of the jetboil, I would be interested in giving that a go - they do make very good stoves

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to agree, but I also know I love my little catalytic gas stove. It's very fast, windproof, incredibly stable, easily adjusted heat output and no mucky pots. If I'm not going high (like *that* happens much :rolleyes: ) the gas isn't an issue, it's safe in a tent and unlike the liquid stuff it can't leak over my kit either.
Horses for courses I reckon.

Cheers,
Toddy

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I just re-read the first post and thought I had better summarise :D In short ditch the cannister stove for brewing up on top of a snowy mountain and go for a nice liquid fuel stove (run on panel wipe as opposed to overpriced coleman fuel ;) ) Oh yeah and make sure it has the letters M S R stamped on it somewhere :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Toddy said:
I have to agree, but I also know I love my little catalytic gas stove. It's very fast, windproof, incredibly stable, easily adjusted heat output and no mucky pots. If I'm not going high (like *that* happens much :rolleyes: ) the gas isn't an issue, it's safe in a tent and unlike the liquid stuff it can't leak over my kit either.
Horses for courses I reckon.

Cheers,
Toddy
Which one have you got Toddy?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
never had a problem with my old gogas alpinist gas stove. Certainly beat my friend's Whisperlite the other week in the lakes. And with a small canister its a lot lighter. Nevr had problem in Scottish winters (do we still get tehm) either.

Also sometimes use an old Optimus R8

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Hi Bunnerz,

I recommend the MSR stoves, either the Whisperlite 600 or the Dragonfly. I have the Whisperlite and used to use it for mountaineering all the time. It is a solid bit of kit and is field serviceable, you have to buy the kit separately.

A mate got me a gallon of aviation gas some time ago and the whisperlite went better than ever. I have read somewhere that automotive panel wipe is white gasoline without the £40 per gallon price tag of Coleman fuel.

Initially you seem to have to buy the stove and then the extras, service kit, fuel bottle etc. but it is all worth it in the long run. It is also worth mentioning that you also get a really good wind shield with the stove.

I am with Squidders regarding the cookware, I have the XPD Cookset and a Stowaway pan, both are excellent.

It is also worth mentining that MSR make a triangular base plate to attach to the stove to prevent it burning it's way through snow. I use mine to provide a stable base by packing it with stones etc.

Forget gas go with petrol, you know it makes sense. :D

Stewey. :D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
in the end, what matters is you knowledge of your gear, what i can and can't do. Every type of stove has it's place.

Certain gascannisters ( the iso butane) will work at colder temperatures, although liquid seems to do best with attitude and cold. Although a liquid fuel stove can fail too. I heard people having the hightech liquid fuel stove fail, when there are to high.

I'm kind of suprised to read so many positive feedback about MSR, there stoves seams to be build of lesser quality materials the primus or optimus stoves. And most importly primus and optimus uses a alluminium pump, way strong, durable and safer.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the great thing about the cooking kit i've got is that the whole lot (excluding fuel) fits into the pot i use, with a days tea and porridge in there too...
good and compact, doesnt break, or fail and is as light as i can expect.

ha ha, the harrier jump jet bit is about right tho!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE