Stopping smoking, anyone with me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been smoke free for about 5 years now. I still miss it from time to time, but dont want to go back to it at all. I used willpower, which for me worked because i really wanted to stop, i even used to carry my tobacco and papers around with me for about the first six weeks.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Good luck tried for years having smoked for 30 years . Tried patches ,e cigs, hypnosis, herbs, cold turkey but nothing worked . Finally went to the doctor who put me on a twenty week give it up programme using a drug called Champix. Last cig was Nov 17 2010. I can honestly say it was easy with no withdraw symptoms. Everyone is different but it has worked for me.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I gave up a 20 a day habit almost five and a half years ago now, went from a 30 year habit to zero over night with nothing more than a good supply of "Extra gum" and haven't looked at one since, they were £5 for 20 back then, and there were a few of us going for it, of the twelve I was the only one that succeeded.

Yes the weight has gone on a bit, but the smokes are well and truly a thing of the past, the biggest hurdle is the "Wanting to give up" not the folks (the wife never nagged me) who were nagging me to give up.

I also set myself "reward targets" when I had saved £800 I bought myself and the wife a new air rifle each, with scopes, mounts and a stirrup pump, then we saved for a holiday of a life time and went to New Zealand for a month, my Mortgage got paid of early, I got a better car, bought a bit of land for a small scale allotment, and have just fitted a new kitchen...

Might not all be down to quitting the ciggies, but it certainly helped a great deal.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Mate, I went from 20 odd a day B&H gold to 0 in 24hrs using e-cigs.

Just thought I would try them to cut down but didn't need another real ciggy. That was about a month or so ago. Give em ago it's like quitting but not lol, as you still get the sensation of smoking and the nicotine so no wanting to kill someone.

Best of luck bud I tried everything to no avail but the e-cigs worked with no effort as I didn't intend to actually give up lol.

Kev

a mate of mine's just done exactly the same thing, his job changed from back office to front of house and got the e-cig thingies so as not to smell of smoke at work. he's still got the un-opened twenty pack of mayfair that he got that morning, he simply didn't want them anymore.

i stopped smoking once about 7 years ago, i'd had a stint in hospital where obviously i couldn't smoke so figured that seeing as how i'd done the whole cold turkey thing already i might as well just carry on not smoking. about 9 months later i was out having a drink and a friend offered me a smoke, i took it without really thinking, smoked it, and have been smoking again ever since.

best of luck to anyone who's trying to stop

stuart

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
Gave up for 14 years and then started again when I was going through a divorce. Started back on cigars but smoked them like ciggies. Got up to 15 Hamlet a day and couldnt get up the stairs without breathing probs.
Been off them again for a year and a couple of stone heavier. What really convinced me was loosing my mother in law to lung cancer and seeing what she went through.
Stay strong, the cravings ease off. As others have said, dont be tempted for 'just one' because you've beaten it!

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
whilst being a smoker, quitting is one of the hardest things to do.

I realise each one of us responds differently, but i would WARN everyone to stay away from CHAMPIX.
If you are one of the many who's body chemistry doesn't get on with it, you will only learn this lesson ONCE.
Happy to share my personal experiences by PM (not open forum) but I would urge you to buy "Easyway" by Alan Carr and read it cover to cover. I can almost guarantee you can go cold turkey for two months easily but the rest of the battle is dealing with those demons long term. It's when you realise it was actually very easy to give up that you tell yourself a few around the camp fire will make no difference. Just re-visit the relevant chapters when this thought hits you.

I also have the book as an MP3 for my iphone which I found free on the net.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
whilst being a smoker, quitting is one of the hardest things to do.

I realise each one of us responds differently, but i would WARN everyone to stay away from CHAMPIX.
If you are one of the many who's body chemistry doesn't get on with it, you will only learn this lesson ONCE.
Happy to share my personal experiences by PM (not open forum) but I would urge you to buy "Easyway" by Alan Carr and read it cover to cover. I can almost guarantee you can go cold turkey for two months easily but the rest of the battle is dealing with those demons long term. It's when you realise it was actually very easy to give up that you tell yourself a few around the camp fire will make no difference. Just re-visit the relevant chapters when this thought hits you.

I also have the book as an MP3 for my iphone which I found free on the net.

I can imagine. My next door neighbours had a stint on CHAMPIX and nearly killed each other - literally. Changed from loverly placid people, to angst ridden depressives in about a week.

Thanks for the words of support guys, it does help, even though, perversely, it means i'm thinking about smoking everytime i add to this thread :)

I tried Champix, I was off my head so stopped!! In its defence I know several people that have used it successfully!

Seriously try the E-cigs bud, I can't rate them enough! Give it 48hrs on them then try a normal cig....you will wonder how the hell you smoked in the first place lol.

Just find an ecig brand and flavour you like. I use skycig and they are a steal ATM. No I don't work for them etc etc. yes you are still addicted to nicotine but you aren't takin in the other 4999 chemicals and carbon monoxide into your body! It's cheating really lol.

Kev

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Just been watching this. Making some planning and getting buy-in from the family to join you.

[video=youtube;Y-6NgtFGCPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6NgtFGCPk[/video]

Last edited:

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Smoked for 8 years, 35 rollies a day. Gave myself 2 nasty chest infections and ruined my teeth. I was prescribed Champix, but read the horror stories and just wound myself down over a few months to a point where I just had one a day. Then I went cold turkey completely.

Haven't smoked since September last year now and feel a lot fitter. The results are noticed within a few months.

Best piece of advice I could give you based around my experience is - 1. Think about your loved ones, because not only do you stink, but you'd be surprised how quickly people have developed cancer...very quickly indeed. Not to mention second hand smoke and making everything around you stink. 2. Replace the tobacco with something else. I found that I smoked more in the car than anywhere else and often chain smoked, so I put some sweet chilli crackers in there to replace the habit. It's never the same, but it helps. 3. If you're ill, quit then. I found that when I was incapacitated and not smoking as much, it was a good time to start to wind down and quit.

Best of luck to you.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I cut down for a month and then just went cold turkey , will power is the only thing that will keep you off the cigs ,8 months off them now and hope not to go back
Anyone quiting cigs good luck

Jason

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tell me about it. After stopping for 7 years, it was the pipe that got me back on it. Just a bowl or two when camping, then just finishing it off at home. Then just a smoke in the afternoon, then the morning. The missus moaned about the smell, so bought some cigs = in no time, back up to 20+ a day & £30 a week :yikes:

Problem was, i got cocky. I though just because i'd stopped for so long, i would be fine to have a few toots on the pipe. :nono:

Once an addict, always an addict. If i manage to stop, i'll not make the same mistake twice. I wont buy any more baccy...

..I'll just crib it off mates :)

I did 3 years and took it up again recently so feel your pain. Bloody lovely little white sticks they are damn them.
Quiting is for loosers anyway....:(

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
1 week without a fag. Not long I know, but feel quite chuffed :)

Keep going, for anyone else having a go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE