Stopping smoking, anyone with me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I am well over 7 months without my pipe and its getting that I don't recall the last time I had my pipe out for a looksee. Not Smoking dosn't really bother me...

Except, for a few weeks quite recently, I was getting bothered from time to time, by a horrible sensation of burnt , stale cigarettes. It was almost a taste sensation, but not quite.
I thought at first that I was just picking up wafts from next door, but the times were all wrong and so I looked into it on the web, and wished I hadn't.

The causes of this phantom smoke, would seem to be many and all of them needing total organ removal or something, by bunches of surgeons with heaps of bright shiny equipment, just waiting and itching to start ripping out at many pulsating appendages as they think they can get away with.

Right at the end of this depressing reading, I came across a reference to the effect of certain brand of pesto which contain infected pine nuts.
As a pesto addict, I let it go, sharpish and I havent had that smoke thing since.

Very odd indeed. Life is so full of strange things, aint it just

Ceeg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I'm still on the e-cig, haven't had a real cig since July :)

I've been slowly cutting down the nicotine in the e-liquid & am now on ultra low. Have just got to take the final leap now & pack in the e-cig. I'm getting there.

The money I've saved has gone on Cuben fibre goodies :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I gave up in October of last year after 50 yrs. of it, rolling baccy, the pipe and cigars; lost count of how many serious attempts to quit ended in failure, and me feeling dreadful about not succeeding. But it worked this time,
lasted just short of 7 months and I felt really made up apart from the one big fly in the ointment - I put on just over four stone in weight, and couldn't get into any of my clothes, despite having made absolutely sure that I was eating less than before and only good healthy fare......................

This has to be seen in the light of two factors; firstly I've been around 10 stone 7 since I was eighteen and used to have to run about in the shower to get wet so my weight gain was in the region of 40%, and no-one can tell me that's healthy - I felt awful, and my body was totally strange to me in so many ways, I felt as though I'd become someone else and I hated it intensely...............

The second thing I had to consider was the fact that I've had six operations on my right knee in order to try and stave off a complete replacement for as long as possible, and the extra weight has wrecked all that; I'm now on the list for the full replacement and worried sick about the ramifications for my walking and weight-carrying abilities. Trouble is, I'm middway through a set of procedures on both hands and the leg man won't touch
me 'till that's all done. So I'm looking at another two years before my leg will be pain free and usable again.

This is not a moan, there wouldn't be any point to that, just a report of the facts and yet another illustration of the law of unintended consequences; had I not given up, none of this would've happened.

I'm now back on the roll-ups and the weight is slowly coming off again...............but who knows what the future will bring?...............................atb mac

Jan 12, 2014
United States
I am well over 7 months without my pipe and its getting that I don't recall the last time I had my pipe out for a looksee. Not Smoking dosn't really bother me...

Except, for a few weeks quite recently, I was getting bothered from time to time, by a horrible sensation of burnt , stale cigarettes. It was almost a taste sensation, but not quite.
I thought at first that I was just picking up wafts from next door, but the times were all wrong and so I looked into it on the web, and wished I hadn't.

The causes of this phantom smoke, would seem to be many and all of them needing total organ removal or something, by bunches of surgeons with heaps of bright shiny equipment, just waiting and itching to start ripping out at many pulsating appendages as they think they can get away with.

Right at the end of this depressing reading, I came across a reference to the effect of certain brand of pesto which contain infected pine nuts.
As a pesto addict, I let it go, sharpish and I havent had that smoke thing since.

Very odd indeed. Life is so full of strange things, aint it just

Ceeg
really life is full of strange things. when i was in a addiction then i felt some horrible things which make me always mysterious. but now i am a man. so we have to give up if we want a happy life.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Haven't had a real cig since July and haven't touched the ecig for two months.

I think it's now safe to say, I've quit :)

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
5 years +
Method...A book on how to quit, read it, thought what a load of c rap, but never smoked again, cant abide the smell of em now, I can smell a smoker approaching in the woods from 100 yards away, even if he aint smoking !!! Freaky..

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
well i have been without my pipe for 9 days,i dont want to quit completely,as said a smoke around the fire or fishing still seems apealing,all things in moderation i think.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I'd love to join in, but i'm currently getting back on track with healthy eating and exercising.
If i stop smoking I know full well i'll eat everything in sight and then smoke because i'm stressed that i just ruined my healthy diet.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I quit back in October 2013 After smoking far too many roll-ups everyday for 40+ years. I have used the chewing gum and I can say I found the experience very easy. My partner still smokes and only now is the smell and taste from her habit starting to annoy me. Food, well flavors, taste returning is a real eyeopener.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'd love to join in, but i'm currently getting back on track with healthy eating and exercising.
If i stop smoking I know full well i'll eat everything in sight and then smoke because i'm stressed that i just ruined my healthy diet.

Ah, if you're concerned that that's going to be an issue I'd look into oral fixations ;) IIRC nicotine's an appetite suppressant, but a big part of kicking the habit is dealing with the _need_ we can develop for the something in the hand and / or hand to mouth motion which come with smoking ;) . In order to break this bit of the cycle some people take up crossword puzzles , sudoku etc ~ so you keep the hands busy and can (carefully) rattle the end in your teeth when you get stuck ;) .

Coming up four years for me :D

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
i feel your pain mate, i'm on the E-Cigs and they seem to be working well at the moment although i do crave a proper roll up !

Been quit a week so far and I'm finding it ok ish. Nearly a had a few mishaps. But seemed to have stopped the cravings. :) have noticed my taste buds are working better already. Just my lungs with intermittent bursts like my capillaries have unblocked them selves :/ weird twinges? Haven't quit smoking before but been told that will go after a few weeks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Best of luck to you mate... Smoked for 3 years quit for 2 on and off (ie at work but not home) for a year before picking it up again, now packed in 6 days ago and feeling better for it! So nice to be able to breathe when I wake up as opposed to coughing up stale smoke!

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
All those who quit deserve a round of applause :35::35:
What you have done is one of the hardest things you will ever do, and you need to know its a powerful thing you have done.
I quit around twenty years ago, 60 a day habit to nothing, cold turkey. Even now, 20 years later, when I get a whiff of cigerette smoke I go weak at the knee's.
I am also a retired alcoholic, I quit before the smokes. I spent time in detox to clear me out. During my time in there I spoke to other drunks, heroin and cocain addicts and all the other lost souls who end up in such a place. And they all had the same thing to say, the hardest drug to get off, Nicotine, and its the only legel one we were dealing with. With the other drugs you can change your enviroment to help you escape its power, move away from influences, change friends etc. cigarettes are every bloody where, you walk down the street and get hit by the smell and fire off the receptors in your brain.
The only advise I can offer to people getting off any addiction, drugs, alcohol, chocolate (yes many things are addictive to different folks) is you need to really want to do it. You brain is a very powerfull device and you are in charge of it. After getting that want in your head, then use whatever is around that will work for you to keep control, the 12 step program, friends, the local church group, whatever, but don't feel it's something you have to do alone. That's why I like the OP's original idea with this post.

You clever sods deserve a :notworthygoodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE