stoneage jewlery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The simplest ones are wooden beads made from elder or willow.
Cut off a branch as thick as your middle finger, cut it into short lengths and poke out the centre pithy core. Depending on how much work you do to these hollow tubes, you can make some beautiful beads.
Usually I take the bark off and then soak the beads in dyestuff. The willow bark boiled up will make a dye that will darken the wood. If you add some rust from iron, it'll make an almost black dye.
Wayland decorates wood with carved designs, and then colour contrasts those.

Tiny cowrie shells can be bored and threaded onto fine cordage.
Leather pieces can be dampened and designs stamped on.
Claws, tusks and feathers can be tied and pitched over the cord to secure them.
Antler and bone both carve well and have been used for millenia.
Some trees have bark that carves very well, indeed I have a beautiful leaf pendant that Neil-1 made from bark. It's lightweight and smooth and a favourite of mine :D

We know of raw copper and gold that was just beaten into flat sheets and then coiled up into cone shapes, these were stitched onto clothing or made into earrings. Not much raw copper or gold lying around now though.

Have fun :D

cheers,
M

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Dont forget Jet and Shale.Both materials were used widely in prehistoric bling!Oh, and amber.The ones i own and have seen in books, museums ect have all been perforated from both sides rather than being drilled just from one side.This type of drilling leaves an hourglass shaped hole.

Last edited:
Tht is some cool info i might have a bash at tht. ive wanted to play with naural dye or making my own paint( ot tht im some grate artist i just think it would be cool.
The simplest ones are wooden beads made from elder or willow.
Cut off a branch as thick as your middle finger, cut it into short lengths and poke out the centre pithy core. Depending on how much work you do to these hollow tubes, you can make some beautiful beads.
Usually I take the bark off and then soak the beads in dyestuff. The willow bark boiled up will make a dye that will darken the wood. If you add some rust from iron, it'll make an almost black dye.
Wayland decorates wood with carved designs, and then colour contrasts those.

Tiny cowrie shells can be bored and threaded onto fine cordage.
Leather pieces can be dampened and designs stamped on.
Claws, tusks and feathers can be tied and pitched over the cord to secure them.
Antler and bone both carve well and have been used for millenia.
Some trees have bark that carves very well, indeed I have a beautiful leaf pendant that Neil-1 made from bark. It's lightweight and smooth and a favourite of mine :D

We know of raw copper and gold that was just beaten into flat sheets and then coiled up into cone shapes, these were stitched onto clothing or made into earrings. Not much raw copper or gold lying around now though.

Have fun :D

cheers,
M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fossils too. Our ancestors used to use ammonite fossils and carve a head onto them. They are known as snake stones and were carried right up until the middle ages as it was believed they prevented the carrier or wearer from getting bitten by snakes.

loan9727b_m.jpg

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
I had a go at making a tiny Viking style axe head and a Thor's hammer out of bone, it was slow work with just hand tools (files, sand paper and a junior hacksaw).
They came out "OK", but I could do better and maybe try my hand at scrimshawing some knot work onto the items too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE