New member Truli

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2024
Ireland
I was researching Polish lavvu tents, that's how I found BCUK, and after reading an interview here would like to know if anybody has same interest /could advise me please :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Truli :)

There's quite a few folks here who enjoy their Polish lavvu's so you should get plenty of info, just post a thread asking what you need to know. :)

Reactions: Truli Lea

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hi, Welcome.
Yep, I have a polish Army Lavvu too.
I got it in the days when they cost pennies. These days I use the ponchos more than I use the lavvu.

Feb 4, 2024
Ireland
I was researching Polish lavvu tents, that's how I found BCUK, and after reading an interview here would like to know if anybody has same interest /could advise me

Hi, Welcome.
Yep, I have a polish Army Lavvu too.
I got it in the days when they cost pennies. These days I use the ponchos more than I use the lavvu.
Hi that's interesting much more hardcore than me :) did you need to waterproof the ponchos ?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi thankyou so much. I have been onto the site you mentioned (excellent) any idea what size would I need for a 2man ? (1,2 or 3)
All the Polish Laavus are designed to be two man shelters, in reality they are bloody uncomfortable used that way. With the extension panel you get an extra 1.5 m between the poncho halves, which makes even the size one a more comfortable two man tent. Another tip to gain more usable space , is to ditch the centre poles and use a bipod to support the tent.
I would say a size three is best for size, but they are getting asrare as hens teeth and very expensive.
A photo of my setup using one poncho and the extension panel. There is even a campbed in there.
IMG_0789.JPG

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I think I have the small size and basically the sides will be resting on my face and feet in standard configuration but it's possible to set it up with a more oval footprint to alleviate this. Ultimately I added sides to make it more of a bell tent and now it's relatively enormous.

Feb 4, 2024
Ireland
Hi and welcome
Hi thankyou :)
All the Polish Laavus are designed to be two man shelters, in reality they are bloody uncomfortable used that way. With the extension panel you get an extra 1.5 m between the poncho halves, which makes even the size one a more comfortable two man tent. Another tip to gain more usable space , is to ditch the centre poles and use a bipod to support the tent.
I would say a size three is best for size, but they are getting asrare as hens teeth and very expensive.
A photo of my setup using one poncho and the extension panel. There is even a campbed in there.
View attachment 85478
Thanks so much. Your set up looks sorted:) what's a bi pod? Is that when there can be a line supporting the roof by lifting top of tent suspended right out and tied to trees if you no what I mean ?I think I would agree with you there too on the extension panel,thanks. What do you use for a ground sheet? I noticed they are available but same price almost as the ponchos?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi thankyou :)

Thanks so much. Your set up looks sorted:) what's a bi pod? Is that when there can be a line supporting the roof by lifting top of tent suspended right out and tied to trees if you no what I mean ?I think I would agree with you there too on the extension panel,thanks. What do you use for a ground sheet? I noticed they are available but same price almost as the ponchos?
A bipod uses two poles a tripod three. Either works well, you can use hiking poles, or whatever you have around.
My ground sheet is a cheap plastic tarp.IMG_20201113_122056.jpg
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_20200307_113536.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE