Stone Age bits and pieces...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I read somewhere that language to do with Reindeer was definatley non Saami.

its only recently that Tarandus has been studied seriously, -was it true they were domesticated twice?
I listened to a talk on reindeer genetics by a Russian lady last year. Can't remember all the details but the reindeer was domesticated at least twice and separately in Fennoscandia (by the Saami) and in Western Russia.

I don't know if there have been more domestication events, but not impossible.

There is genetic evidence for wild reindeer being brought into the bloodlines, but I have no clue if that might have been accidental or on purpose.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I understand that the present semi tame reindeer descents from Norwegian fell reindeer population. Apparently fairly lately 1500? It is different from the forest reindeer that lives on the Taiga.

In northern Russia the domestication was independent like in Mongolia.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Cool or something to the effect. :thumbsup: How well in general do we know what ancient tools were used for?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Reverse-engineer this. What are the resulting useful goods for food, shelter and clothing? What are the tools used for these purposes in other cultures? What are the techniques? They are not extinct here.
Those principal methods and the tools are still in wide use here. In fact, there's been a very healthy resurgence of interest in reviving all the "old ways."
Hilary Stewart's book "Cedar" and our museum collections have been rich sources. John Fenna's replications are a bright window on the past.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
They apply 'use or wear analysis' - experiential archaeology - make a tool, use it in the manner you think the Lithic people used it, study the wear and compare to your find. Does it match? yes: probable same or similar use; no: make another one, try it on a different task.

It is believed to be reasonably accurate :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A quick change of era ...
Iron Age knife
Made for work ... at my own expense!
Blade by Dave Budd - an Archeologist and blade smith of high repute. Carbon steel cutting edge fire welded onto an Iron back (Iron Age style) dipped into coffee to highten the difference in metals. Handle is Oak from an old chest of drawers, oiled and waxed, sheath veg tan leather dipped in hot beeswax, artificial sinew stitching.
It cuts brilliantly!DSCI0002 (1).JPGDSCI0003 (1).JPGDSCI0004 (1).JPGDSCI0005.JPGDSCI0006.JPGDSCI0007.JPG
That is a shadow on the edge - not a ding! I must sort out my indoor photography!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hafted some of my spears/javelins - not sure of the woods (from my general "seasoned poles" collection in the shed) but the heads are glued in with pine resin/beeswax/charcoal dust glue, whipped in with rawhide thongs and then waterproofed with the glue mix.
I also made a bone knife/dagger in the same manner.
DSCI0002 (1).JPGDSCI0001 (2).JPGDSCI0003 (1).JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is for work - but great fun!
I am glad that I landed the job at Castell Henllys as it gives focus to my twin pleasures of, 1 - making stuff and 2 - prehistory ... so far I figure I have personally invested over a grand and many manhours into my job, making costume and making/buying props and costume.
I think that my manager appreciates my commitment! :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I need a job like that.

I emailed Stonehenge about volunteering for their ExArch department; they turned me down, in spite of the fact I do have some experience in that field.

I am sulking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good looking tools. Easy to use.

A couple of winters ago, I used a 2lb hammer to forge a copper knife blade. My striking accuracy is an embarrassment. I'm certain that it's as work-hardened as any other blade from the Chalcolithic. BUT try as I might, I can't get enough of an edge to cut up a peach.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I shafted and fletch three of my arrow heads - one each of stone, bone and antler.
I used found feathers, pine resin and beeswax glue and artificial sinew on more mystery wood. No charcoal dust in the glue this time to see how it went ... I prefer it with the charcoal!
OK - I will never get awards for my fletching but I put the arrows over my bow and they flew as straight as any arrow I have ever loosed... which is not saying too much either!DSCI0001 (3).JPGDSCI0002 (2).JPG

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Looks awesome John, some craftsmanship you have there!

I saw a video the other day, on a channel called hunt primitive on YouTube. He recommended using some kind of charred plant fibre over any other charcoal

Reactions: John Fenna

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE