Steve Irwin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I have to agree, there's a bloke dead and I for one feel sorry for his family and I will miss seeing his big smiling face. What's the point in pulling him apart? Some people will say that we court danger and we deserve to die when we should have been tucked up in our armchairs watching tv......So what.

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
I feel a genuine loss, as if it was one of my own family. I hope everyones thoughts will help Terri and the children through thier grief. That man was irreplaceable and despite what people may want to say of his antics on screen, he has done more for conservation than many will appreciate, often pouring his own money, earned during filming, back into conservation. Here was a man who lived his life to the full! Who amongst us can say that? We often see stingrays when diving off sharm el shiekh and know the risk of getting too close, but when they are buried in the sand with only thier eyes protruding, only a healthy distance from the sea floor can save you from the defence God gave them when you don`t even know it`s there. God bless you Steve. :sadwavey:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Tony said:
Yeah, I have to agree, there's a bloke dead and I for one feel sorry for his family and I will miss seeing his big smiling face. What's the point in pulling him apart? Some people will say that we court danger and we deserve to die when we should have been tucked up in our armchairs watching tv......So what.

I agree Tony. I liked the bloke too and he made me smile which is a great gift to have. It really is a massive shame and another 'altogether nice bloke' has left the world.
Burnt ash fair comment...................everyone has their own opinion and you of course you have yours. No intention of offence :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
None taken at all, it just seems a bad time to bring things like that up, I agree with most of them, he knew what the score was, as did his wife etc When it gets to crunch time though, I doubt it's a lot of comfort for them.

I just get sad when people die like that, when they still have a lot more to give. They seem to be good people at heart and the world needs as many of them as it can get.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
he was truly a great man and i for one loved watching his programs, condolences to his family, apparently they are asking his family if they should show the documentry he was making, i think that steve would like it to be seen and he wouldnt want to die for nothing
leon

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Apparently Steve was doing nothing to provoke the Ray in any way, just swam over it and was percieved as a threat.

I guess it would just be like one of us going to work one day and being hit by a bus as we crossed the road to the office.

LS

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's a dreadful shame for his family, but I think he has left a huge legacy, with people not yet born switched on to nature through re-runs of his programmes.

As long as there are TV screens, he'll be making a mark somewhere.

As a thought, after all the danger he put himself through, a freak accident.... makes you think about the short time we all have here. Make the most of it.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Personally I could not stand him on telly and some of his methods could be discussed till the cows come home, like antagonising dangerous animals into making them strike out, but I am sure he had the conservation side of things as a priority and he used his enthusiasm to good effect into bringing it to our (or those who watched his shows) attention. Sorry about his death though,I hope his conservation work will still continue to good effect in his name...............

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
steve irwin had said in the past that if he was killed on film he wanted it shown.
also it seems he's been offered a state funeral.
a sad loss to the world.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Im not being harsh or anything - but I think - I THINK - hes a fool. He left two children fatherless.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
He may have left two children Fatherless but so do hundreds of others who die from accidents every year, this accident was just that, an ACCIDENT, he did not provoke the Ray!

As for the State Funeral, his Father has said thanks but no thanks.

LS

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
A sad day indeed. Fate calls time on us all when it decides to and when it does I don't think we could ask more than to be doing somthing we love at time.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah maybe so from car crashes etc. But this was self inflicted, he knew the risks involved and he was an adrenaline junky. The ray must have been provoked in some way - perhaps because he grabbed it and pulled it out of the water. I dont feel sorry for him, hes just stupid, its his family that are going to suffer.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sharp88 said:
Yeah maybe so from car crashes etc. But this was self inflicted, he knew the risks involved and he was an adrenaline junky. The ray must have been provoked in some way - perhaps because he grabbed it and pulled it out of the water. I dont feel sorry for him, hes just stupid, its his family that are going to suffer.
that was a bit harsh dont you think
leon

Reactions: scanker

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah ok maybe so, that was harsh. I got into a bit of a rant there.

You cant say he hasnt pushed it on more than one occaision though.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
sharp88 said:

Well when they show the actually footage of his death then you will see what happened, he was filming for his daughters show, not his!

Respectfully suggest you try and keep up with the news.

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
sharp88 said:
Yeah but its still self inflicted if you pick it up.

Stainton, who had viewed the footage, described the experience of watching it as "terrible," the Associated Press (AP) reported.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," he told reporters.

Get your facts before you slag off the dead.

LS

http://outside.away.com/outside/news/20060906_1.html

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Sharp88,

As already stated previously mate, this a tribute thread, whatever you or I think of him personally :D

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE