Steve Irwin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I tend to agree with JD. Its a shame that Steve Irwin isn't quite cold and people are already sharpening their knives. No disrespect to Jack.

People often face choices about their lives direction and choose to alter that direction when they have a family. I have many friends that stopped chasing summits in the greater ranges when they had responsibilities. I think Steve felt he had a greater responsibility to the wildlife around him. He was also a top class self publicist like Alision Hargreaves and fully dependant on their dangerous jobs to pay the mortage.

I wonder how much the TV work paid for his wildlife park and conservation efforts.

Although his methods where often extreme he lived a life consistant with his beliefs.

b1k3rwaif

Nov 1, 2005
HERTS
SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung by a stingray in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media. (Watch scenes of Irwin, known for his his enthusiasm, support for conservation -- 2:49)

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then 1-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo. (Full story)

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
falling rain said:
I'd say 'selfish' is the wrong word to use here Jack. He was a fantastic character and did an awful lot for conservation. As I've said the guy did 'push it' a little sometimes with extremely potentially dangerous animals. (here's Steve handling an Inland Taipan which comes in at No 1 in the most venomous snakes chart picture number 8) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/5311848.stm Lots of people in dangerous proffesions have young families, but is a firefighter or trawlerman etc etc 'selfish'? It was his job and his family all knew it. 'Selfish' isn't a suitable word for the guy. He was evidently a very caring person to go to lenths he did for the wildlife on our planet.................just maybe he shouldn't have tried to interact quite so closely with them................but who's perfect :(

Except in respect of his young family I don't think 'selfish' is quite the word I'd have chosen, either. But Steve Irwin cannot be compared to the likes of firemen, soldiers, miners, lifeboatmen, etc., etc. These people generally do their level best to minimise the risks involved in their inherently dangerous occupations, but who will still come a cropper from time-to-time. Mr Irwin flagrantly courted danger and sailed close to the wind in order to boost audience figures. I can't have been the only person on the planet to have said (many times) that one day he'd take just one risk too many. It gives me no satisfaction whatsoever to have been proved right.

Burnt Ash

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thats a damn shame,I liked watching his shows,he was very entertaining.I guess your luck can only hold for so long.RIP.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
None taken guys.

Sometimes I just like to question my own thoughts as I do everyone else's and I like to lay my thoughts out as sometimes I think we as a nation get to involved in other peoples lives.

We all have our hero's, it is just that not many become TV stars.........

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Jack said:
None taken guys.

Sometimes I just like to question my own thoughts as I do everyone else's and I like to lay my thoughts out as sometimes I think we as a nation get to involved in other peoples lives.

We all have our hero's, it is just that not many become TV stars.........

Cool :cool: :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Some Quotes from RM on the BBC News website:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5313078.stm

"UK wilderness expert Ray Mears said that Mr Irwin's death was a tragedy and that his thoughts were with his family, but that the incident served as a warning that "some things in nature should be left alone".

"He clearly took a lot of risks and television encouraged him to do that," Mr Mears said. "The voyeurism we are seeing on television has a cost and it's that cost Steve Irwin's family are paying today."

I'm not sure I'm with Ray 100% on that one.

I think it works both ways - Steve did the crazy stuff he did on the TV (and in real life) to get a certain amount of attention, which would obviously get him and his zoo more publicity.

But obviously, the same TV shows brought his work and the animals featured in it to the attention of more public than would have otherwise been the case.

I'd like to think that the awareness he brought and the good conservation work he has done far far outweighs his desire to be famous or make pots of money in the zoo business.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Never mind all the pontificating about whether what Steve did was good, bad or whatever, he was a good bloke who brought a great deal of enjoyment to a great many people and managed to do a good bit for conservation too.

Deepest condolences to his wife and kids, Terri, Bindi Sue and Bob.

Yeoman

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
great bloke, very motivating. I can remember saying to my brotehr a couple of years ago would be great to see him and Ray mears together, they'd make the perfect team. Then I saw this on BBC news:

UK wilderness expert Ray Mears said that Mr Irwin's death was a tragedy and that his thoughts were with his family, but that the incident served as a warning that "some things in nature should be left alone". "He clearly took a lot of risks and television encouraged him to do that," Mr Mears said. "The voyeurism we are seeing on television has a cost and it's that cost Steve Irwin's family are paying today."

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
I'm sure RM will come in for some stick for saying that, It's a shame, he's had his own fair share of misery lately I gather. Another sad day.

joeyd

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2006
exeter
I think that irrispective of whether he took too many risks or not...........the world would be a sadder place without people like him around.

I suppose that given the choice i would rather die doing something i loved as opposed to wasting away in an old folks home.....but 44 is no age to go

Joey

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
A terrible loss to the world. He brought so much enjoyment to kids and adults with his programs.
A great man and a great loss.
Thoughts are now with Terri and the kids.
Pete.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
IT is a sad day for Australia and the world Steve Irwin did so much for
conservation in oz he will be greatly missed.

An expert on sting rays has said ther have been 30 deths recorded from the knife
like barb on the tail of the sting ray.( SCT news )

Rob.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Steve'o is solely reponsible for my love of lizards . He was a great man . I know there are people that think he shouldnt irritate the wildlife , but he was bringing it to the masses so he could save more of the wildlife , after all who would watch an hour of tv with nothing but the odd leaf springing back up where the snakes had gone on their way ? Completely unlike mr Mears who seems to be very "in it for the money".

Found this video tribute and thought it an apt thing to post

To a Great man

Pumbaa

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Burnt Ash said:
Except in respect of his young family I don't think 'selfish' is quite the word I'd have chosen, either. But Steve Irwin cannot be compared to the likes of firemen, soldiers, miners, lifeboatmen, etc., etc. These people generally do their level best to minimise the risks involved in their inherently dangerous occupations, but who will still come a cropper from time-to-time. Mr Irwin flagrantly courted danger and sailed close to the wind in order to boost audience figures. I can't have been the only person on the planet to have said (many times) that one day he'd take just one risk too many. It gives me no satisfaction whatsoever to have been proved right.

Burnt Ash

By the very act of joining one of these professions you are courting danger. As a fireman you can't expect to spend your time rescuing pussy cats from trees. As a trawlerman you can't expect calm seas every trip. If you join the army it's reasonable to expect to be sent to a war zone like Iraq sometime in your career. You choose your career and take your chances nobody made you do it. And yes you're right of course, you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that one day he'd take just one risk too many. I'm glad that you get no satisfaction from your amazing prediction

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
falling rain said:
By the very act of joining one of these professions you are courting danger. As a fireman you can't expect to spend your time rescuing pussy cats from trees. As a trawlerman you can't expect calm seas every trip. If you join the army it's reasonable to expect to be sent to a war zone like Iraq sometime in your career. You choose your career and take your chances nobody made you do it. And yes you're right of course, you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that one day he'd take just one risk too many. I'm glad that you get no satisfaction from your amazing prediction

Well, thank you for the sarcastic comment, but you obtusely miss my point completely. When working in occupations that involve real hazards and potential danger, you do not wilfully narrow the margins of error and safety just to show off; impress your mates down the pub; or boost viewing figures amongst voyeuristic TV audiences. I've worked in a dangerous profession. Lethal hazards were ever present and things could get very dangerous at times. In that industry (in that country) we had ca. 800 workplace fatalities a year. Anyone who took foolhardy risks or who ignored safety protocols would be heavily censured by both colleagues and employers.

Frankly, I think Irwin should have been prosecuted for that idiot stunt he pulled with his infant son dangling from one arm while he fed chooks to a 13 foot croc. (picture in today's Daily Telegraph). Great bloke? Responsible parent?

I have been inspired by better naturalists than Irwin and as dedicated conservationists as he. They didn't seem to find such antics neccessary. And yes, even some of them have died in the course of their work. **** happens. It's still a tragedy that he was killed and I do feel truly sorry for his wife and kids.

Burnt Ash

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Ok guys fair play on whether you liked Irwin or not, but this is a tribute thread.

IMHO perhpas we should leave an autospy of his life/career to another thread and not whilst the death of someone, who is clearly respected by many, is still as raw!

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE