Star Wars

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I was eleven or twelve when the first Star Wars movie came out, just the right age to appreciate it, the second movie too, however I thought the third sucked, perhaps because I was thirteen and had more important things going on in my life, perhaps it was the teddy bears or perhaps because it didn't make sense that a bad guys who had all the ships and soldiers would suddenly just surrender.

Here is the second teaser for the new movie, based some decades after the ending of the 'Return of the Jedi'. Where it is suggested that the galaxy spanning empire didn't just fall over when the emperor died but instead a decades long war of attrition has continued.

[video=youtube;ngElkyQ6Rhs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=108&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs[/video]

My twelve year old self would be quite excited I think. :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yawn. One movie that slid by on special effects when that was cool. One below par follow up. All the rest should be buried in a shallow grave with all three hobbit travesties. There are just so many better films out there.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yawn. One movie that slid by on special effects when that was cool. One below par follow up. All the rest should be buried in a shallow grave with all three hobbit travesties. There are just so many better films out there.

Each to their own Hugh... each to their own :)

As for me, I can't wait to go see it :cool:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too, Im still 12, dont worry.

Who can fail to love Star Wars? Its got stunning visuals, naff acting and mythic grandeur.

(And what do Ewoks eat? Anyone who pops by to tea?)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The evening I was to be taken to see Star Wars sticks in my mind as I almost didn't get to go and also got a bit of a clout.
I'd been told we were going to see this new film and I was excited as trips to town were pretty exciting.
But snow and playing outside must've been a bigger draw in my wee head as on the walk home from school my mates and made an excellent slide on a steep brae and got caught up in some serious sliding fun in the snow.
Next thing I saw was my Dad stalking towards me with a scowl on his face and my stomach sank as I remember

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
-ed that I was supposed to rush home for my tea afore going to the pictures.
I got a skelp and dragged off. Being told that the only reason I was still going was that my brother had been promised and they couldn't get someone to look after me.
So no tea and still half frozen from the slide I sat and was pretty blown away by the movie.
I enjoyed the second one too but think that either I outgrew the story or Mr Lucas just got silly with Ewoks and Jarjar Binks. (Boy the later three movies are pretty under the counter racist).
Still think that of the Sci-fi films of the era that "Silent Running" and the latter "Outland" (1981) made more of an impact on me.
Still, look forward to seeing if they can rescue the series.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Loved Starwars as a boy, had my hopes shattered by the Pre-trilology. Looking forward to the next installments, Abrahms can't do a worse job than lucas so fingers crossed.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
All the Movies are different; you cannot view them with the same mindset.

Star wars is a SF version of a myth
Empire Strikes back is an action movie
Return of the Jedi is a greek tragedy
Phantom menace is a kids movie
The one after that whos name I cant recall is a political thriller
The last one is a moral tale of the Wheel of Fortune; the hero falls.

Get it?

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Can't wait for this! As a relative youngster on this forum (29) I do love the ewoks.

That said I was pretty young when phantom menace came out and I still hated it. Jarjar was definately racist.

The 3 prequels mostly sucked thanks to the fact that Haydon Christianson has the acting ability of a fence panel.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sadly disappointed by the latest Star wars, i went with two of my children(my eldest and youngest)and a friend and his eldest, they all loved it, personally speaking i thought not only did alot of the sets look poor,and considering its nearly 40 yrs later from the original the special effects are not much better, the story is virtually the same as the original,it had to much whoo's and hell yers and without giving to much away the mega powered bad guy (at the beginning) can suddenly be beaten by people with no training at all. Like i said earlier everyone else liked it, on the plus side and as i mentioned in a earlier post further up my eldest daughter and i also went to see spectre(both thought it was great) but i was routing for the bad guys..(and i do fancy the Hateful8 and the Revenant).

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was a massive Star Wars fan... loved it... my VHS copies are properly worn... but then when the new one was due out, I thought I better bring my kids up to speed.

Using the thingy apple box, got the original trilogy up and we all sat down to watch them... almost straight away I noticed extra bits, like lizards that weren't in the original... and the more I noticed... the more it spoiled the experience.

So I'm figuring if I wait maybe 20 to 30 years before watching this one... any added lizards or any other CGI they want to add in will be done by then, it won't spoil my viewing of it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sadly disappointed by the latest Star wars, i went with two of my children(my eldest and youngest)and a friend and his eldest, they all loved it, personally speaking i thought not only did alot of the sets look poor,and considering its nearly 40 yrs later from the original the special effects are not much better, the story is virtually the same as the original,it had to much whoo's and hell yers and without giving to much away the mega powered bad guy (at the beginning) can suddenly be beaten by people with no training at all. Like i said earlier everyone else liked it, on the plus side and as i mentioned in a earlier post further up my eldest daughter and i also went to see spectre(both thought it was great) but i was routing for the bad guys..(and i do fancy the Hateful8 and the Revenant).

I went to see it this morning and I wasn't as happy with it as I thought I would have been.

It was 'OK'.

I think part of the prblem for me was I had massive expectations and wasn' too surprised by some bits by watching too many trailers, etc - for the next I think I'll try avoid the trailers. :D

I found some of the new characters a bit lacking.

Overall a bit 'meh' for me.

Good to have more star wars though! :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was a massive Star Wars fan... loved it... my VHS copies are properly worn... but then when the new one was due out, I thought I better bring my kids up to speed.

Using the thingy apple box, got the original trilogy up and we all sat down to watch them... almost straight away I noticed extra bits, like lizards that weren't in the original... and the more I noticed... the more it spoiled the experience.

So I'm figuring if I wait maybe 20 to 30 years before watching this one... any added lizards or any other CGI they want to add in will be done by then, it won't spoil my viewing of it.

Don't get me started on the re-mastering!

Extra bits in I could cope with more. The sort of thing I was massively not impressed with was the edit at the end of Return of the Jedi where they change the 'ghost' of Anakin for Hayden Christiansen instead of the original bloke. Really annoyed me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE