Notes on the Minimal Gear ethos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
As someone in the process of changing my camping regime from the luxury of 4wd Colorado mountain trout-fishing excursions to more minimal Suffolk bushcraft minor-backpack adventures, I'm struck by the number of YouTube videos, forum discussions and blog recommendations that connect very minimal gear with the notion that you needn't plan your adventure because you are prepared for anything. And while that may be true for the more advanced and experienced Jeremiah Johnson types, it has certainly not been my experience or even the subject of my fantastical musings. Minimal gear requires careful planning, and must often lead to a mismatch between actual outdoor conditions, enjoying the outdoors and our ability to deal with it. Consider the various "five C" recommendations which suggest that cutting tools, cordage, cover, and a few other alphabetical suggestions can somehow substitute for common sense. Where's the first aid kit? Where's the bum wipe, spare shorts, socks, sleeping mat, and ground cloth that allows our bedrolls and sleeping bags to remain dry, and in fact, our enjoyment to flourish? Nowhere, I say. So the challenge for me is not how much gear to remove and which skills to learn, but instead to plan a trip and pack accordingly, with nothing extra or missing, but still be functional if the Bad Thing happens, which of course, has never happened to me precisely because I plan and pack accordingly.

During this newfound love of bushcraft-style camping, my first outing a few weeks ago found my enormous and outrageously functional, highly recommended yellow North Face duffel packed to its limit and weighing a small ton, much more than I would have preferred, but I knew beforehand that I wouldn't have to lug it very far, if at all. I packed and packed and re-packed, making sure that I had enough cord to put up my tarp; that my food was matched with both my mess kit and the number of meals, snacks and coffee I would actually have time to consume; that I didn't necessarily bring gear that I knew might be carried by others in the group (like a saw or bigger axe); and that if it rained hard that I would have the ability to dry-myself (micro-fibre towel) and change into something fresh. I anticipated, and prepared for the varying and still-bizarre British weather conditions with a rain-jacket, a thick fleece, a base layer that I wore the entire time, and a flannel shirt for the daytime. I was perfectly prepared, and enjoyed my weekend. I enjoyed it very much, thank you. I didn't pull out my SAK or headlamp once; never had to make char cloth in my tobacco tin; and was very happy to have brought that little glass bottle of whisky instead of the much larger bottle I had considered bringing. And now, as I try to whittle down the amount of gear I'm bringing and watching YouTube videos and thinking and reading and musing over gear that "I now must have," I've spent the last week re-packing and re-thinking a much smaller rucksack, a painstakingly restored surplus Italian Alpini Rucksack that I fell head over heels for while watching alonewolverine1984's YouTube video detailing her 5-day load-out. She's able to build a four bedroom condominium with a Mora, Laplander and Wetterling hatchet, and enjoys doing so, but as far as I can tell she has no need to change her underpants, which doesn't sound like a nice week in the woods to me. But still, I bought one of those packs and began culling my gear.

I've removed much of my redundant, extra-super emergency gear, like the second groundcloth to go between my the bottom of my bivy and the admittedly muddy ground. Instead I packed one. I've removed a great deal of my firestarting kit, because I had enough tinder, fatwood, Vasoline cotton balls and spare ferro rods to set myself on fire if a cigarette ash planned a hasty escape. I only used half my cooking fuel, and have rethought the relationship between my menu and mess kit. I've cut down on the amount of cordage (though it weighs very little) because paracord is cheap, knots are easy, and using up the long length I now carry only gives me the excuse to grab more of it after it's been cut up into smaller lengths, in far more interesting colours. I still must find room for a lightweight plate and cup (don't get me started on how I view the functionality of a single-wall coffee cup) and have managed to pack my little Italian rucksack to the brim, and saved a great deal of weight. I'm ready for the trip I have planned, which includes going with others whose primary kit is a perfect backup to my primary kit. Having friends along is the best emergency gear you can pack.

It's critical to note that I am not suggesting that planning and gear can substitute for skills. Education is the single most important thing to bring, and I've often responded to the "what's the one thing you would bring to a deserted island" question with "an encyclopedia," but my camping enjoyment comes not only from actually being in the woods, but to imagining and planning being in the woods. I certainly spend far more time thinking reading and considering it then being outside. But modernity doesn't always permit long and frequent camping trips; my world is far too complicated for that, so I get to pack and repack and consider and read and enjoy doing so. My next two-day adventure in Suffolk will be packed into my little rucksack, with a Czech Army bedroll and thick fleece strapped underneath it. I don't recommend my approach to everyone, but it works for me. That's not quite accurate; it might work for me.

This little diatribe began as I was considering purchasing more stuff, specifically a single-walled cup (ridiculous) and/or a Kuplika set (very cool), and a Laplander saw (I bought one), some stormproof matches (wow!), a new wool shirt (impossible to find at a decent price), and a host of other stuff that I simply don't need. Frankly, I love that part of the camping process, the consideration part, because thinking about it is almost like actually being outdoors, so I figured that I'd write about it and put it up here. I love camping, and have so for decades, and find this shift to bushcraft similar to when I transitioned to flyfishing after a lifetime of Bass and saltwater fishing. This bushcraft stuff is fun, and I have every intention of getting better at it. Perhaps I'll become some kind of Jack London / Jack Kerouac mashup (I still stashed a pencil and notepad in my rucksack); perhaps I'll get caught in a torrential downpour and go back to my extra-tough over-packed duffel; perhaps I'll become an outdoor chef and make BBQ ribs over a fire like my friend Jimmy used to do when we camped on the bank of the Platte River and stalked huge trout like fiends. He would paint sauce over those ribs for hours while messing with the coals and telling us all to "stay away from [his] fire!" I miss those ribs. But more than likely I'll continue to enjoy this forum and all its attendant opinions and go out every month in Suffolk with a cool group of guys and chop wood and make dinner and sip whisky and argue savagely about the value of GB axes. Maybe I'll start lying about fish too. That's a damn fine weekend.

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Interesting. I can relate to the video you refer to; I to have seen this and the first thing I wanted to do was go and purchase one of those rucksacks. Thankfully there were none at what I deem a reasonable price, otherwise I would have got one, but do I need it? No - I already have at least five bags that cover many situations; more than I hope to ever be in. You make good points.

Haggis

Nomad
Good read,,, I enjoyed it very much.

I'm a collector of things, sometimes to the point of being a hoarder of things, but when I go into the bush, I sometimes amaze myself at how small my kit actually is. A friend of mine, several years ago, on a week-end outing, during a torrential downpour, and sheltered under a light film plastic "drop cloth" I'd rummaged from my kit, remarked, "You don't seem to bring anything along, but you have something in your pack for every situation". I want things in my pack that serve as many functions as possible, and I want as few things in my pack as possible. What isn't in there, I can't lose in the bush, and what isn't in there weighs nothing. My absolute favorite day/overnight kit is a haversack, shell bag, or any of a dozen nicknames (my second favorite is fast becoming a Frost River Knapsack). Such a possibles pouch over my shoulder, add a very small hatchet and knife to my belt, and I feel like I'm King of the World.

rg598

Native
You make a good point. I know the type of videos you are talking about (5 Cs, 10 essentials, etc) which lead people to think that this is all they need for the woods. Of course, that is not how the videos are intended, but many people who spend a lot of imaginary time in the woods, interpret them that way, and insist that they are prepared for any trip because they have a knife and a bandanna.

Actual trips into the woods require careful gear selection and planning. You need the right number of calories per day, the right gear for the terrain and weather you will encounter.

That being said, I am a big fan of minimizing my base gear. I've managed to reduce the weight of my winter gear to under 7kg, which in turn let's me bring the mission specific gear I may need for different trips like crampons, show shoes, rifle, etc. And yeah, I'm one of those guys that sticks to one pair of underwear. :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
You make a good point. I know the type of videos you are talking about (5 Cs, 10 essentials, etc) which lead people to think that this is all they need for the woods. Of course, that is not how the videos are intended, but many people who spend a lot of imaginary time in the woods, interpret them that way, and insist that they are prepared for any trip because they have a knife and a bandanna.

Actual trips into the woods require careful gear selection and planning. You need the right number of calories per day, the right gear for the terrain and weather you will encounter.

That being said, I am a big fan of minimizing my base gear. I've managed to reduce the weight of my winter gear to under 7kg, which in turn let's me bring the mission specific gear I may need for different trips like crampons, show shoes, rifle, etc. And yeah, I'm one of those guys that sticks to one pair of underwear. :)

I like underwear, and always have a clean pair.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I constantly read that lack of underwear reduces the risk of "monkey-butt". (I hope I'm allowed to say that, if not, just delete the post and send me a nice PM. )

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
the fine balance between enough gear, enough knowledge and enough enjoyment is critical! as dear old uncle ray says, "if you are roughing it, you are doing it wrong!"

sounds like you are living the dream anyway buddy! when i take people out into the jungle, the people who know the least, learn the most! simples...

so once youve got it all down to a tee and just go out and live in the woods with only a razor blade for company and an oil skin to keep the wind off your privates.... you might well be the bush god... but it probably wont be half as much fun as getting it wrong once in a while, getting wet, laughing about it in the pub later and then trying something different next time!

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."

Helen Keller

p.s the end of your post made me smile! thanks for sharing! hopefully getting back to the uk in august! woo!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I'm starting to see a pattern here. Perhaps this is actually why the Scots, to cut down on excess weight, in a land of of waist high thistles, wore kilts sans under garments?

whilst working in tanzania last year i got hold of one of those massive masaai tartan cloths. it is windproof, exceptionally warm, light rain proof (i.e runs off for a bit) and its big enough that if i lie flat on the floor then it covers my whole body with room to spare! the locals wore them EVERYWHERE as you quite often ended up sleeping out, even in the larger towns and they were ideal.

now im back in Peru where i belong and the poncho is very similar. its just very heavy duty due to the cold in the andes. it is waterproof in solid rain. and it is big enough to sleep in!

the scotts underwear or no, with their big kilts would have had the same thing....

so all the older generations had walk around bedding! geniuses!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

its funny though as teenager I'd regularly spend nights out with what would basically have been considered the 5 C's and some food without any bother, wasn't the comfort i want these days but it was easily doable.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
its funny though as teenager I'd regularly spend nights out with what would basically have been considered the 5 C's and some food without any bother, wasn't the comfort i want these days but it was easily doable.

now is that because you were "harder" as a kid or just didnt know you could actually be more comfortable?

i was the reverse i think... started off with tonnes of crap and then the military beat it out of me....

Haggis

Nomad
I like the idea of "walk around bedding". It would seem that a dense wool poncho paired with a silnylon poncho/tarp would be an almost perfect sleep shelter combination.

Seriously, if the couples on "Naked and Afraid", having no measurable skill set and a oversized knife, can survive 21 days in the bush, surely those with some level of bush wisdom and a well thought out minimal kit can live quite nicely for the same length of time.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I like the idea of "walk around bedding". It would seem that a dense wool poncho paired with a silnylon poncho/tarp would be an almost perfect sleep shelter combination.

Seriously, if the couples on "Naked and Afraid", having no measurable skill set and a oversized knife, can survive 21 days in the bush, surely those with some level of bush wisdom and a well thought out minimal kit can live quite nicely for the same length of time.

it really is great actually!!!! i got struck for about 5 hours from midnight till dawn waiting for a bus last year and i had a rolled up poncho over my shoulder and just folded myself into it and went to sleep... very VERY handy! as for the masaai one it stopped me getting bitten by mosquitoes as it had a tight weave!!!

mmmm i work in tv every now and then and am always skeptical... i just looked at their website and it had a video on how to run away from boa constrictors at night.... why would you EVER need to run away from a boa constrictor.... hahahah

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire

Ross: I've read your blog. Almost all of it. Most of it twice, and have found your approach to the outdoors very similar to mine. It's nice to meet you.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
now is that because you were "harder" as a kid or just didnt know you could actually be more comfortable?

i was the reverse i think... started off with tonnes of crap and then the military beat it out of me....

young and foolish :D

these days I like my comforts

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
now im back in Peru where i belong and the poncho is very similar. its just very heavy duty due to the cold in the andes. it is waterproof in solid rain. and it is big enough to sleep in!

so all the older generations had walk around bedding! geniuses!

that sounds like a great idea

I assume they are alpaca wool?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE