Stand Up paddleboard Advice??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not bushcraft but it is as much a valid form of outdoors transport as canoes that several on here use. I am getting obsesssed with the idea of getting an inflatable one but really know very little about them. We used to have a family membership of a sailing club in our village (on an estuary) and my son and partner went on a training course using the club ones. !0 feet and 12 feet for taller / heavier people I think they had. no idea of the brand or what is good / bad about them. Fot some reason I didn't take part.

Anyway, our van can not carry my kayaks or a canoe so I can't get back on the water, about 20 minutes from the southern end of Windermere so I really fancy getting out on it. This lead me to considering inflatable SUPs. Anyone know much about them? I am 90kg ish and 196cmm tall and am lookking for something that I can learn on but progress quickly to more. I am an experienced kayaker (whitewater up to and including grade 5) and have done a bit of surfing in my kayak too. I am guessing that I could pick SUPing up quickly. Watching and listening to my son's class I have a good idea how to do it. So I am thinking of less of an out and out beginner board and more of an intermediate one perhaps that I could still learn on but move on to decent trips later.

Any other advice? I am really thinking that inflatable for storage and transporting in the van makes a lot of sense and SUPs are generally cheaper than good inflatable canoes. I have seen many at about £300-400 but I think only the cheapo Seyvlor canoes are that price. I do not think they are nice paddling but the SUP would be. I hope someone on here knows a bit about SUPs and can help

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Have you asked the question on the Song Of The Paddle forum? Always found them helpful when I did a bit of paddling a few years ago. Blacks had deals on SUPs and as it's nearly the end of summer you may get yourself a bargain.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Yeah, go for an inflatable, I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone even on te river use a hard board now.

Red paddle co or Jobe are making the best boards out there atm. They’re a little more pricey though. Mind you, I do have a friend who is an instructor and he uses one from tescos!:lmao:

Size wise depending what you wish to do you may want a smaller board or a longer board. If you’re into moving water or freestyle shorter, for the sea touring you’ll want a longer one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It'll be estuary in calmer conditions but probably lakes mostly. Windermere or perhaps Coniston. Also for son to use if he wants (11 years old now).

Reactions: FerlasDave

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah, go for an inflatable, I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone even on te river use a hard board now.

Red paddle co or Jobe are making the best boards out there atm. They’re a little more pricey though. Mind you, I do have a friend who is an instructor and he uses one from tescos!:lmao:

Size wise depending what you wish to do you may want a smaller board or a longer board. If you’re into moving water or freestyle shorter, for the sea touring you’ll want a longer one.
I had one of my hardboards out the other week on a canal. Only because I wanted the lightest option left after other family members had picked from the fleet! :D

I would disagree on Red and Jobe being the best. They’re certainly good brands but plenty of brands up there with them. Red seems to have a cult like status from early innovation on construction but actually different folk I know will fight to use other boards first rather than being left with the Reds now.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had one of my hardboards out the other week on a canal. Only because I wanted the lightest option left after other family members had picked from the fleet! :D

I would disagree on Red and Jobe being the best. They’re certainly good brands but plenty of brands up there with them. Red seems to have a cult like status from early innovation on construction but actually different folk I know will fight to use other boards first rather than being left with the Reds now.
Which have taken over those brands? Any recommendations over the RED ones? I have seen starboard being considered good.

Must admit I didn't quite like the look of the REDs I have seen online. They seem very wide, thick and bulky with their very rounded noses. I am not looking at a surf style with a pointed nose but the RED ones I saw online looked a little too much the other way. Can't imagine it would be fun punching your way along with a fat, rounded nose somehow.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
:swordfight: They’re definitely the best, just not affordable. A lot of folk just try and look for something different so they can be ahead of the trend. IMHO of course :beerchug:

Depends which model you go for. Something like the Voyager is nice and slim. I think it’s a good choice for cutting through chop, I’m like you I don’t like anything too tug-boat like.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Seen an ex hire (summer 2023) Jobe YArra 10-6 package for £350. I think new £700 but the same shop has it reduced to £450 new. It seems the SUPBOARDER website has it with mostly pros and only minor cons except for too much plastic packaging when new. They said the pump supplied is a rebranded market leader pump so very much top notch. The rucksack is a drybag, The board is very, very stiff for an iSUP. It also comes with a carbon / glass paddle that the website said is certainly better than other midrange iSUPs come with. Often you need to upgrade the paddle pretty soon but maybe not with this.

I am tempted!! 10-6 is up to 120kg rider weight but they said sweet spot is 65-105kg. Great for me at 90kg. Should be a good allrounder. I think I will be contacting them to hire a board for a couple of hours. Perhaps I can try one of these. I think they mostly run RED but must have tried at least a few Jobe Yarra boards to have then ready to sell used. There are some RED for sale but only 9-6 and 10-4. I have read that what they have I would probably be better off with the 10-8 version but they are sold out and way out of my price range new.

I've got 2. A good bit of experience now and with helping to teach sea scouts.
I'll try and remember which boards the centre was using.

I've got an Aqua planet 10'6 All Round Max and a Gul 10'6, (maybe 10'7?)
Gul were useless in purchase and customer support, long and angry story. I wouldn't recommend them, but I slightly prefer it as a board. It's slightly thinner, which is good and the main fin is adjustable. The rucksack is better too. But it's not as quick to pack away.
SUPS and you, standing, catch the wind like a sail. You really notice a thicker board. Much like a canoe.

Forget Red. All style over substance. There's so much competition now, but to be fair I've not used one. I'm sure they're good. They are the Mercedes of boards.
I don't drive a Merc.

Aqua Planet are based in Bath and you can actually talk to a human over the phone!
Brilliant boards, good value, well made. The rucksack could be better, but it works fine. It's not fallen apart yet.
I'm using ours on holiday now, abroad in the sea. Inflates in 10-15 mins. It packs away real quick. We've had it 2 years(?) Love it used it a lot. Used both a lot actually. No issues at all with build quality. I try and look after my kit and rinse and dry after use.

I bought the canoe seat for the AP this year. I don't love it, not like a kayak or sit on really, but you can get some speed up with 2 blades (not offset which is odd, but fine really).
Overnighted with my son and both boards on rivers last year. Pretty cool.
Depends what you want to do with it.
I'd be tempted by a touring board for over nights if I had the money.
The All Round is great fun in the sea and works great on rivers too.
As with everything, there's pros and cons.

You're more exposed on a board than in a canoe, so you need to be prepared clothing/ kit-wise in case you go in.
I came from a canoe background so you'll pick it up in no time. It's great fun and a really good all round work out (one of my reasons for buying one).
Kids love mucking about in the sea/rivers too.

Happy to chat more, drop me a pm if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE