Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter REDUCED

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Cool yer boots fella!
Most of us do and have supported or native makers!
Do you know anything of the history of this knife!?
C da C.

Obviously not, please enligten me as to how this is superior! I have a few knives from British makers and they all came with just two scales, one either side! If they had turned up smashed apart or cracked, I'd have sent them back and likely never used them again! How much does it cost to laser cut O1 and grind and heat treat it do you think? Seems like a lot of money for a mass produced defective knife!

The hole is a trade mark.
Chris.

I've got several holes in my body. Will Spyderco sue me? How can you trademark a hole? I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life!
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
No one said 'superior' ( apart from you. )
If these things don't float your boat that's cool.
As a collector and user it works for me.
Not sure I can be bothered going through it all but if you look you will find many threads and post about this knifes history.
C da C.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Obviously not, please enligten me as to how this is superior! I have a few knives from British makers and they all came with just two scales, one either side! If they had turned up smashed apart or cracked, I'd have sent them back and likely never used them again! How much does it cost to laser cut O1 and grind and heat treat it do you think? Seems like a lot of money for a mass produced defective knife!

Some top makers charge a lot more money than the cost of this knife as a second.I am happy to do some repairs to the handle in order to get a well made blade at a price like this (£75 including postage).

Some people cant afford the prices of high end custom knives.This offer gives some of those people the chance to own a good blade with just a little work from themselves.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
No one said 'superior' ( apart from you. ) Pedant! :rolleyes: What does that matter?
If these things don't float your boat that's cool.
As a collector and user it works for me.
Not sure I can be bothered going through it all but if you look you will find many threads and post about this knifes history.
C da C.

The fact remains, it is still a defective knife! So, the only reason to get one is money? I hope you get away with import and VAT, it could become just as expensive as a blade blank from a british maker!

Some top makers charge a lot more money than the cost of this knife as a second.I am happy to do some repairs to the handle in order to get a well made blade at a price like this (£75 including postage).

Some people cant afford the prices of high end custom knives.This offer gives some of those people the chance to own a good blade with just a little work from themselves.

I can see the reason if you collect Spyderco knives, that seems like a reason enough, but other than that I can't see the point.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi phill_ue
the best thing about knife preference it is all about choice if people like and appreciate what they have chosen to buy good luck to them, there are many people on the forum who have chosen cheap Moras as their main bushcraft knife not because it is all they can afford but it is their knife of choice
Those on the forum who have followed the development of this knife project have chosen of their own free will to choose to purchase one of the knives knowing its faults.
This has been their choice no one has hidden any facts about the knife or its problems in fact full marks to all involved.
The great thing is we are all able to choose the tools we use sometimes we make mistakes, but hopefully we learn from them and make a better choice next time.
I hope those who have purchased one are happy with their purchase and you are pleased with your choice of knife it is a tool you need to be happy with after all :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can see the reason if you collect Spyderco knives, that seems like a reason enough, but other than that I can't see the point.

I've marked it for you, can also be called the tip so don't get confused.

bushcraftnkydex004.gif

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Don't blame me, I didn't put u... oh wait... :eek:

I appreciate you taking full responsibility for my financial indiscretions; if you could just explain to my wife how it is your entire fault and how I am merely innocent of all charges we will call it quits!
Sod it I confess I just like shiny sharp stuff! Am I the only one?

PREPER……….. :)

:goodnight:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I appreciate you taking full responsibility for my financial indiscretions; if you could just explain to my wife how it is your entire fault and how I am merely innocent of all charges we will call it quits!
Sod it I confess I just like shiny sharp stuff! Am I the only one?

PREPER……….. :)

:goodnight:

I try not to get involved with other peoples wives mate. You loose far too many trousers making a quick exit.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I wouldn't have a glue, sometimes you have to heal the splits in a relationship!

PREPER..... :)

:twak:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
As far as supporting British makers, I have 8 knives made in the UK, all fantastic blades and all the makers or sellers have been fantastic to deal with.

Having said that, I am also supporting Spyderco on the Bushcraft knife project because we need more bushcraft knives made in the USA and perhaps less "tactical" blades that are not ideal for a camp/outdoor knife. Unless you plan to be attacked by Ninjas, a tactical knife is silly.

The Spyderco blade is not a second, only there are some cracks in the maple, easily repaired to make a good working knife for a fair price. I probably paid at least 3x as much for each of my quality British blades, with no complaints.

I will say though, the sheath with the Spyderco is completely unacceptable and I am replacing mine as soon as possible. It does not fit well in any of my other sheaths either, so I am needing a proper sheath.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi All
I arrived home from work today to be greeted by a parcel containing my Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter, I had been lucky and avoided custom charges
:D:lmao::D:lmao
I feel really sorry for Chris, Sal and all at BCUK who had input on this as it is a great knife, and as has already been mentioned the problem with the scales and the way it has been dealt with puts many other companies to shame.
The pictures below show the cracks, and shrinkage that has occured on what is a wonderfull piece of wood. Having dealt with cracks on wooden bowls I have turned it should not take me long to sort this out.
4420442376_8075044002.jpg

4420444866_b2906c28f0.jpg

4420444242_e4d896f9ab.jpg

I am looking forward to putting the knife through its paces
:):):)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Shame the wood cracked, it is a nice piece of wood. Why didn't they go for a stabilised/plasticised material? It would have limited this happening and they would have been top notch knives.

So long as they dropped the silly hole! :rolleyes:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Shame the wood cracked, it is a nice piece of wood. Why didn't they go for a stabilised/plasticised material? It would have limited this happening and they would have been top notch knives.

So long as they dropped the silly hole! :rolleyes:

They did, but somewhere in the 'foodchain' it went wrong and Spyderco ended up with unstabilised wood for the handle ...

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
If they ordered stabilised and got normal wood, why didn't they pursue their losses through the courts and then make the knives with the correct materials? I thought that was the American way!

Can't open the link jd, I'm not a member of that forum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE