Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter REDUCED

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I hope Spyderco continues to make the Bushcraft model, with another wood perhaps. The Spalted Maple is really fantastic looking but more difficult than some others. I personally like curly birch in a unstained finish.

As far as the little hole on the blade, I figured out a potential use for it! You could use it to help tie the blade to a pole securely for use as a spear in a survival situation...well, you could!! Cheers!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If they ordered stabilised and got normal wood, why didn't they pursue their losses through the courts and then make the knives with the correct materials? I thought that was the American way!

Can't open the link jd, I'm not a member of that forum.

They did, but the wood supplier only needs to make good for the wood they sold to Spyderco, not the finished product.

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
I've been told that it arrived in the letter box this morning. Won't be home until tomorrow evening, but can't wait to see it and see how bad the damage is or isn't.

M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I see. I'd ask them, but I can't be bothered to be honest! I'm jut surprised that a major knife making company either got duped or tried to sell a product knowingly made with defective parts.

They didn't get duped or try to deceive us. The supplier of the wood supplied something not up to the standard that Spyderco requested. It was only apparent after they were made. Spyderco have a great customer service ethic and it was only after the scales started cracking that the problem came to light. They then had to recall the lot that had been distributed worldwide.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I heard they had been packaged in linseed oil before shipping, so surely they knew about this before hand? If it was stabilised, there would be no need to package them with oil and wax all over the handle as the wood is stabilised, as the name suggests and therefore wouldn't benefit from being covered in more oil and wax. I think they may have suspected a problem before they were shipped.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They had a couple of returns and the wood supplier told them to treat the ones that had not been shipped with linseed oil, which they did. The suppliers still failed to tell them the wood was not stabilised. The problem was not solved so they recalled them all and refunded those already bought. No scandal or hidden agendas, just poor wood that was not as intended. Hence the bargain we now have at our feet.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I hope Spyderco hammer the wood supplier in court then, although I suppose Spyderco now have a better understanding of wood stabilisation and won't fall foul again! I still cannot get over the hole though! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
All Spyderco can get off the wood supplier is compensation for the wood, or depending on their contractual agreement.. new wood. Doesn't help the old stock. I think Martyn confirmed that Spyderco had taken them up on it.

The hole is just a trademark, it doesn't affect the use in anyway. All Spydies have the Spydie hole, again it is down to legal reasons why they use the hole as they took a large knifemaker to court over using a hole in their designs. They won the case and so to back up further infractions, need to add the trademark hole on all of their knives. Doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
My guess on why they were made with wood that was not stabilized is that they were made in Taiwan. Spyderco probably never saw the actual wood until the finshed knives arrived in the USA. Just a guess though.

Shame about the wood, the knives would be real beauties if the wood was top quality. I like the way mine turned out with crack repairs, polish and tung oil. Very suited for some real use in the bush.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
My guess on why they were made with wood that was not stabilized is that they were made in Taiwan. Spyderco probably never saw the actual wood until the finshed knives arrived in the USA. Just a guess though.

Shame about the wood, the knives would be real beauties if the wood was top quality. I like the way mine turned out with crack repairs, polish and tung oil. Very suited for some real use in the bush.

I though the bushcrafter was made in Golden?

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney

My understanding is that the wood was sourced from a US supplier, and samples were viewed prior to purchase. The wood was also supposedly stabilised by the supplier. Have a look on british blades the whole sad saga is written up by the Spyderco Owner/Ceo?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE