springers, PCP's and Co2's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm currently looking at springers myself, something to get me into air rifle shooting and tbh the BSA Supersport has taken my eye, it appears to be a nice rifle and ranges in price from £170 - £260 new. also has an adjustable trigger and parts are easy to source if ever needed.

btw whats with all the lasers on air rifles atm? when would you possibly want to use a laser when shooting?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
For range finding. The laser is mounted on a 'stick' so there's a large angle between what you see through the scope and where the dot of the laser falls. With a graduated reticule in the scope you can, with the right set up and lots of practice, get the range down to feet in about a second. With a PCP and a bipod that means you should never miss unless it's blowing a gale.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
More powerful lasers are becoming increasingly necessary for urban hunting, particularly since tree rats became Jedis - they can easily deflect a lead pellet...

Attachments

• saber.jpg
    saber.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 161

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i noticed the weihrauchhw57 didnt get a mention....

oops - forgot that one.

never used it myself though. it is good I take it then? - despite the pop up breech? - I heard tales of this falling out back when it was first released.

the hw90 is worth a mention too. damn nice gun - no twangy noises, because of the gas ram - and much cheaper than a theoben.

andy

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
yes i loved the 57,dont think you would get on with it if you like the heavier models,i remember something about looking to make sure there is a haulcartrage mark on the weihrauch rifles:confused: think there was some dogy imports or something.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
yes i loved the 57,dont think you would get on with it if you like the heavier models,i remember something about looking to make sure there is a haulcartrage mark on the weihrauch rifles:confused: think there was some dogy imports or something.

yup - the hull cartridge stamp is on the rifle just where the barrel meets the body of the stock.

any gunsmith should be able to point this out.

yes there was a thing with chinese copies coming in but I don't know how much of an issue this is these days.

andy

leon-1

the gun in question was a weihrauch hw35, secong hand. I also had my eye on the BSA lightning.

I owned a Weihrauch HW35 for over ten years, they're a very good rifle, lighter in weight than the HW80 which makes it nicer to carry for longer periods.

Don't worry about accuracy of the rifle, you'll probably find that it's accuracy is better than yours.

Learn to shoot with a springer, it'll teach you a lot more than learning with PCP. You will become more aware that you probably won't get a chance at a follow up shot so you will be more carefull with your shot placement. You will probably wish to stalk closer as well, so as to get a cleaner shot.

None of these are bad things, just be aware you only need to be so far away and don't try to overcook it.

I now have two air-arms rifles, the first a springer (Air Arms Pro-Sport) and the second a PCP (S410TDR), both are very accurate and both have enough power for taking bunnies.

If your stability and hold of the rifle is good then you'll find that your accuracy will be good as well.

If your friend says that he can group better with a PCP he should be informed that's because he doesn't have to change position every time he cocks the rifle.

It's harder to group with a spring gun than with a PCP because you have to change your postion every time you cock the rifle. You may change eye relief, shoulder position, position of your elbows, grip on the pistol grip and any number of factors. If you group well with a springer then fair play to you.

When hunting you are more likely to be firing one shot from one position, grouping doesn't come into it. It's the initial accuracy of the first shot fired and spring guns are just as good at that as PCP's are.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
sorry is that a pop at me?

Sorry, certainly wasn't a pop at you but I can see how it could be read as one. :eek:

It was aimed at the OPs mate who obviously claims to be an expert but seems to lack real experience.

attachment.php
rofl.gif

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just wed night we had 4 different rifles out, an old old gun that i don't know the name of, an airsporter (with a cut down stock for my boy) a vulcan and a S410 @25yds there was nothing in it between them except for the airsporter which the guy before me had changed springs, now it's got a bit too much kick and that throws it out unless you're very careful it's definitely harder to group them but it's doable, the other springers were harder when standing than the PCP but that's a practice with that rifle issue.
My HW100 is easier to reload than the s410 so there's even less movement there whihc can also make a difference.
I can only agree with the other comments (from people i know are much more experienced than me) that a good springer is a good rifle and you'll be fine if you practice:D

I have and use both a springer and a logun s16s, they both kill and with the logun and 1 extra mag` i have 32 shots, the air does decrease so power drops off but only after about 25 shots. I like the logun but on the down side going out for a days shooting with it can be hard work as it`s very heavy and better used in a hide, the springer is best for roaming/stalking. The other thing i have found is the scope you choose can make a big difference to how accurate your shot is, a parallax scope is great so worth investing in(my opinion). practice is the answer.
One thing to note from going out target/competition shooting with friends is that with the logun at 50yds 10 of 10 shots will hit a shot gun cartridge brass end, a lot of my friends with springers struggle to do that, so they prefer it if i leave the logun in it`s case.
22092008316.jpg

Last edited:

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
Yeah, what everyone else says. Headshots at 40yds no problem with a spring rifle. Never used one of these new gen air rifles, but it sounds like they must be great. I'd not spend the extra though.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
same ranges in accuracy though? thinking along the lines of recoil???

5'11'' 14st.....

Springers are just as accurate as pcps and capable of the same grouping at all ranges. Power is equal. The difference comes from the shooter.

Springers recoil, which effects accuracy only if you do not hold them correctly, And by that i mean if you grip the front end when shooting you are doing wrong, let the front end sit on the palm and when you fire it will do its own thing. This is a must for good accuracy as it will do the same thing ( jump up and back a bit) every time. Hold it tight and you introduce other forces which cause it to move inconsistenty.

Springers require a bit more skill to shoot as well as a pcp, but can easily shoot as well as a pcp. If your learning to shoot, use a springer, get good with that and PCP's are a doddle. Get a pcp and get used to that and you will never master a springer. Same with the calibers, .177 is better for inexperienced shooters as its easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges, but is by no means more accurate at longer ranges than .22.

So if you see someone dropping rabbits at all sorts of ranges with a .22 springer, then you know you are looking at a very good and experienced shooter. If on the other hand they shoot .177 pcps then don't take what they say as gospel as they have the easy peasy option which does not require anywhere near as much ability. ( not putting down .177 pcp shooters here, just stating facts). A lot of .177 pcp shooters nowadays have only had .177 pcp's and cant comment on either springers or other calibres.

:)

i`ve never tried shooting .177, it`s always been .22 for me, both springer and logun are .22. I have heard that .177 is very accurate but i use what i`m used to, started off with a .22 BSA Meteor as a kid and that was a great gun, moved on as i got older through various makes but always .22 with a good scope mounted on it, over 50yds hand held the weight of the logun isn`t really a problem and 2nd,3rd, to 8th shot is OK, it`s then you need to flip the mag` for your next 8 shots and by this time the weight of the gun + the bi pod does start to tell on your arm a bit, then i shift to sitting, dropping the legs on the bi pod and just start shooting again.The air bottle is easy to re-charge, just screws off as it`s also the rifle butt, i fill from a divers air cylinder 15ltr 232bar and i get around 15 charges from it so it`s cheap enough and as long as it`s in test any dive shop will re-charge the cylinder for about £3.00.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
i`ve never tried shooting .177, it`s always been .22 for me, both springer and logun are .22. I have heard that .177 is very accurate but i use what i`m used to, started off with a .22 BSA Meteor as a kid and that was a great gun, moved on as i got older through various makes but always .22 with a good scope mounted on it, over 50yds hand held the weight of the logun isn`t really a problem and 2nd,3rd, to 8th shot is OK, it`s then you need to flip the mag` for your next 8 shots and by this time the weight of the gun + the bi pod does start to tell on your arm a bit, then i shift to sitting, dropping the legs on the bi pod and just start shooting again.The air bottle is easy to re-charge, just screws off as it`s also the rifle butt, i fill from a divers air cylinder 15ltr 232bar and i get around 15 charges from it so it`s cheap enough and as long as it`s in test any dive shop will re-charge the cylinder for about £3.00.

We have a dive shop just behind our house, when i had rapid bottles to fill, they did them for 50p each. £2 for a normal ( 3l 300bar) bottle.

I had a logun mk2 for a bit in .177, didn't get on with it, mag jammed up even with accupells and it was wayyyyy too long for woodland shoots. Nice and steady though for longer range field work.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
This makes me want an air rifle even more! Anyone recommend a good beginner level sort of one?

Springer of course, and under £200?

I'm just looking at the BSA Supersport, it ranges from £170-£200 brand new and initially kicks out at 11.5flbs which is more then enough for hunting.
available in .177 or .22.
combined with a decent scope i'm going to have a rifle i'm happy with i reckon.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm just looking at the BSA Supersport, it ranges from £170-£200 brand new and initially kicks out at 11.5flbs which is more then enough for hunting.
available in .177 or .22.
combined with a decent scope i'm going to have a rifle i'm happy with i reckon.

Supersports are decent entry level rifles. They are powerful and quite consistent, which leads to good accuracy. You will get a fair bit of twang and they are jumpy things but learn to hold it right and it will do its job all day long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE