Splinter removal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I was out walking today when I brushed pass a bush and ended up with a thorn in my finger, I got most of it out but a little stayed put, till I got home. I remeber when I was a young lad my mum had a yellow paste which helped removal, but alias not available now. Apart from a needle or tweezers what else works in the field.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:( sounds like a blackthorn/sloe, expect a red finger for a couple of days!

my mum always said removing splinters/stitches/sticky plasters, infact anything you are trying to remove, is always easier after a bath (skin is softer).
you could improvise with warm damp cloths, or keeping a hand immersed in warm water.

you could use a plant like Dock leaf to make a warm poultice which may help soften the area.

sometimes it is easier to do away with tradition and use a needle or shape blade to cut a larger hole then the evacuation is easier (but obviously much more prone to infection) perhaps not a good idea if clean items are not available.

Of course there is the :( :D grin and bear it way, within a few hours of there being an alien body in your finger the bodies defences are set to kill it., often the splinter will be eaten, or moved by your body's defences.
I think it's fairly common knowledge about people finding bits of metal glass etc in strange parts of their body ages after they've had an accident.

the body is amazing and will sort it out if we dont;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There is a substance on the market called `Drawing paste`

I got some a few years back, why dont you have a word with your chemist?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In season, bittersweet draws out splinters and skelfs. Meadowsweet roots can be dug up, pounded (chewed if you can stand the germolene taste :yuck: ) and poulticed on the festery bit.........works quite well under a plaster of bich polypore :) :)

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
make a poultice of tablet soap and unrefined sugar, it has to be soft enough to spread on a plaster or bandage leave on for three days. it will draw the woody thorn out. I was forever getting spiked as a Kid and it never failed to draw out the stubborn thorns.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Hot water, or at least as hot as you can handle and soaking the affected part in it until the skin is softened usually pushes the foreign object out towards the surface of the skin, then with the aid of a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers you should be able to pull it out. You can also use the point of a needle or even the point of a safety pin to gently brush the end of the splinter if it is poking out above the surface of the skin, gently brushing it side to side this often helps to ease it out far enough to get hold of with the tweezers for extraction.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know tweezers are "out" but silver gripper tweezers are an essential part of my keyring kit - one of those "how did I survive without them" articles!

Red

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I just did one on my finger tip which has festered 2 or 3 days and had worked its way up a bit. (this thread reminded me:lmao: ) I just cut a tiny slot with the tip of the mora knife and it burst open, a small amount of thick pus emerged and the splinter as well. I find sometimes you just have to leave them to there own devices, you can pick about with needles etc but some splinters (I think this one was oak, I get splinters all the time and often forget I have them) are very clingy and stubborn and it makes it worse. A mate of mine used to get lots of metal splinters in his hands. He swore by a simple remedy-soak your hands in hot water for a few minutes (or wait till you had a bath) then rub olive oil onto the hands. They pop out over the next few hours 9the splinters, not your hand's :lmao: )

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I usually manage with the tweezers or needle from my Victorinox SwissCard, handy little piece of kit. anything that doesn't come out I usually just forget and it works its own way out!

Smoggy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I try to leave the digging out option for last. A good one is to remove the thin green outer skin from an onion (just below the brown papery skin) and wrap it round the splinter area. After a few hours it will draw out the splinter. ;)

I get a lot of splinters and bramble thorns due to my weekday tarty computer hands combined with real work at the weekends :rolleyes:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
you could try Osmosis, like the North American Red Indians, before going to battle! to make them fit and slimmer, same principle. or get one of your sealed frezeer bag and rap it tight around your finger and go into the shower and pour very hot water onto the bag for about 15/ 20 mins and it will draw the splinter from your hands. Have ago and let us know how you get on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I recently had a 1/3" splinter in the side of my right hand - a pig to try and get at, never mind remove.
It went septic and puss filled so Greg had a go at it but could not find the splinter.
Back home I sterilised a pair of nail clippers (I can use those left handed OK, wheras a knife or needle defeats my monodexterity....) and nipped away at the flesh...before I reached blood I found the end of the wood. SAK tweezers did the rest...

pwb

Although it doesn't remove a splinter as such :rolleyes: .
I'm sure I heard somewhere, how a potassium permanganate solution can be used to locate a difficult to see splinter/thorn by colouring it so it stands out.
Whilst also acting as an antiseptic.

Pete.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was out walking today when I brushed pass a bush and ended up with a thorn in my finger, I got most of it out but a little stayed put, till I got home. I remeber when I was a young lad my mum had a yellow paste which helped removal, but alias not available now. Apart from a needle or tweezers what else works in the field.

My Nan had a waxed cardboard pot of something she called "Black Jack" which was great for drawing splinters and the like.

I wish I knew what it actually was?

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Haven't tried it myself but I have heard about a vacuum method to get splinters out.

Basically, fill a bottle with hot water, empty it out and immediately press the opening over the area with the splinter in. As the air in the bottle cools it contracts and creates a partial vacuum and sucks the splinter out.

Don't know how well it works in reality but it might be worth a go (although if it is in a finger, it might be a bit difficult to find a bottle with a small enough neck)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE