Spending months underground - Chilean miners to sit it out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure they could do anything Southey. You probably have to remember that they could have been running for the shelter as if their lives counted on it. Which it quite possibly did. I doubt they would have any tools with them even if they had the power to drive them. Then you have to remember that they could well be semi-skilled themselves. Althought experienced miners they are not trained structurally. Not to say they couldn't work out what was safe IF they had experience, but since safety is a big thing in such a dangerous occupation I am sure they have standard operating procedures. That probably means staying put. All I know is that rock is unpredictable, you just don't know how safe a mine could be. I'm no expert, its been about 18 years since I was taught the rudiments of mining engineering, so I can't be sure of the facts. I'd say that unblocking any tunnel is pointless. You might trigger another cave in or you might just be working on 100s of metres of cave in. You just don't know. Even those on the surface won't have an idea of that so how could they being in the dark or with limited battery life in their lights work that out. If you don't know what the situation is like how can you work out what to do.

No, I'd say to sit tight and wait for instruction from above. Its all they could do.

As to the geologist? It would be a mining engineer who would have worked on the bracing plans based on geological data. That data probably wouldn't be sufficent to guarantee risk free bracing. TBH mining is a risky occupation. Whilst mining and structural engineers minimise risk it is not foolproof. Accidents happen.

I did a mineral engineering first degree and as part of it I did study mining engineering in the first term with the mining engineering students but then on they moved off into their field and we went more into the geology and metallurgy side. I did learn a bit about structural side of things,. however I have forgotten it as not in that sector. I just kinow that it is a difficult occupation, that it has its risks but it can also pay off big time. A miners working life is all about minimising the risks. That means if anything could have been done to prevent this it would have been done. Similarly sitting tight is probably also the best thing that they can do for themselves. I did nearly go into the quarrying side of things in this country. Mmmmm! Explosives! Blowing up the side of a hill would have really suited me. I might not be able to make stuff like a lot onhere but I sure as 'ell could destroy things as good as anyone. That job would have meant early on I'd have gone on explosive training courses. Got my licence and learnt how to plan the explosives for a blast based on geological info and the like. Wow what a job!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
No probs. Sometimes doing nothing is the best option (as I often tell ppl when feeling lazy).

I'd imagine when they do get rescued the outside world will be totally overwhelming. I hope they aren't dragged out into the press glare and all family and colleagues hugging them and that sort of chaos. I hope they get takento a quiet place away from the glare and given the chance to come to terms with it before meeting their family. It will be tough as well as the months until that happens. One psych said that people who go through such crises are more likely to struggle afterwards. Missed work, increased absence, relationshiip problems, etc. They might seem over it but it will have an effect.

Jeez, I'm glad its not me. Sorry if that's not the right thing to say but...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Self selecting bunch? That does make sense to me. A group doing a risky job will be up for that job and a lot of the hardships. You wouldn't hack it otherwise. Good articles Shewie. Thanks.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yeah I do like the idea of normalising(new word?) ther lives as much as possible, so chats with family about mundane life nothing to exciting, regular supplys, good air supply and routine it all goes a long way to maintaining a healthy mind. i wonder if they'll either set them selves tasks or if the surface will get them things to keep them active mentally, even coloring in and cross words break the monotony of isolation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE