Spell checker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Did we loose the spell checker ? or am i just not looking properly :eek: .

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it looks like we did.. as tone has said hes keeping the site hak free this time and the spell check is an add on so i dont reckon we will be seeing it any time soon!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Given that the site was nearly permanently wiped out and took weeks to piece back together, ...and given that the cause was probably some hack or other, then Tony's reluctance to impliment hacks is understandable.

Any time you put a hack into a site, you're messing with the original code and run the risk that it will interfere with some function or other that you cant predict. But many hacks are solid, tried and tested on thousands of forums and can be considered "safe". The problem comes when one hack interferes with another hack. So a hack that is considered safe on it's own, may be problematic when implimented on a forum with other "safe" hacks. Sometimes there is just no way to predict how they will interact with each other. Generally though, a total meltdown is very, very rare.

BritishBlades has quite a few hacks on it and the forum is rock solid. Could Tony put the same hacks on here and expect the same solidity? In truth, yes he probably could. But if this was your forum and you'd just spent a month putting humpty back together - would you take the risk?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Martyn's spot on :D
That's not to say that I'll never include more things in the forum but at the moment there's more important things being done, we're working on the front end and we'll get the gallery back up etc. The way i see it is that we've got a very stable, working forum that's doing the job just fine, when everything else is done and integrated together and we've got a full site working nice and smoothly, I'll have a break!! He he :D And then we'll think about what areas could do with some functionality work to improve things further.

There's all sorts of tweaks and hacks that can go on the board and as Martyn says they're tried and tested, when there's time I’ll look at them and have a think, but that's not going to be any time soon.

I'd copy and past using word for now RB ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE