Special Heirloom Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Can't hank you enough for that.

No worries mate, you've helped me with good advice for my knife, just returning the favor in my own way :)

Email sent to you & Stu. tiff & jpg attached - 6mb in total, so i hope they come through.

Ive, made the edges more defined etc:

logov5lr.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not forgotten, tactically delayed.... :rolleyes:

Good job too, seeing that the changes needed to be made due to the dama pattern.

Big thanks to Trunks for sorting out an amazing etching. I'm not going to post it here yet. I think it will be nice to unveil it on the finished knife.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool. Looks like they went with the old engraving and it worked. I'm more than chuffed that it did too, I like that much much better than the new one we did. I want this etching on all my DBs.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Originally it was thought that we would need a big chunk of stainless for the bolsters, a very wide set to accomodate the engraving, but, as James has whipped all that into shape it has become clear that we can in fact go with a narrower set, better all round I think...

But, the problem that created was that by losing steel from the back end of the bolsters it left the pins off centre, we can't lose material from the front edge you see as they are dictated by the guard etc...

So, the best way I could see to rectify the problem was more holes, bored at a similar distance from the front edge of the bolsters as the off centre rear ones now are from the rear of the bolsters...

Not easy though in ht'd Damasteel at around Rc60/61...

So, she was masked up for protection, clamped in a Bridgeport milling machine, plenty of coolant, and gone at with a carbide cutter, a little undersize at first then reamed in a similar fashion to the 1/8" I need...

Here's the result...

IMG-20110527-00001.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here's one of the sample etches Stu had done in 15mm. The finished etch will be larger and the outline of the UK needs to be bolder and the adders head tweaked slightly as they are lost without the magnification you see here. But you can see what a great piece of work Trunks did.

AdderEtch.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
AdderEtch.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW! The snake looks great :) seeing the pic, I now see what needs to be changed - no problems.

I've got a gig tonight, but will have a look tomorrow afternoon, then mail it through :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks James. I thought posting a detailed image would be better for you to see what needs tweaking. Amazing what you can do with an old camera phone and a jewellers loupe.

The adder looks amazing doesn't it. It's really captured the striking patternation perfectly.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
I'm working today, when I have had my quota of coffee that is after falling firmly off the wagon last night :D

Anyway, I have a day of fitting bolsters for knives that need to be away next week, if I get the time I quite fancy to slip this one in too, it would be nice to see them in place....

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
Busy day today, amongst other tasks, another of which you may be seeing later too, I had four to get bolsters prep'd for, three in nickel silver and one in stainless, here's all four with their bolsters cut, ready for drilling....

Sorry 'bout the poor photos throughout, I only had my phone...

IMG-20110604-00015.jpg

The knife in question, bolsters drilled, ready for shaping...

IMG-20110604-00018.jpg

Now shaped with the undersides flatted and the front and back edges finished...

IMG-20110604-00021.jpg

All four ready for fixing tomorrow, I'd had enough today so went for a pint :D

IMG-20110604-00020.jpg

So, fixing tomorrow, I may even get some scales in place....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE