Spear throwing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
R-Bowskill said:
'Throwing arrows' are a traditional Yorkishire poaching tool, although they probably occur in lots of other places. It's easy to conceal the cord, "Honest gov its just a bit of string holding up my trousers". So it was less risky than being caught with a bow near the kings deer in days gone by.

I grew up making them. A pair of playing cards for the flights and either a point or an old 303 case to make a blunt head. Sometimes weighted with a bit of lead shot for more impact and range because of the greater momentum this gave it.

There's yet another thing I didn't know about my home county. Thnaks.

http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/bradford/news/jim168.html

Keith.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dutch arrows are great! I had them as a kid, made from bamboo canes and made them in Oman out of the top section of military antennae for vehicles! Due to the slimness and flexibilty of an antennae top, they go literally for miles. The antennae top is made from fibreglass, with a copper end that screws into the next section of antennae. This adds just enough weight to the front end. As you can split the antennae, two cuts are made down its length at right angles to allow a specially folded card to form the four flights. A bit of para cord with a thumb knot in the end and you are ready to start impressing people with your Dutch arrow.

With the one I made, the rule was if you threw it, you retrieved it, and therefore fitness levels were kept up aswell!

Do any of you guys have a plan or drawing of how to make a Dutch Arrow please?

I've tried to impress my son by making them on several occasions from memory as I used to make them as a kid.

The ones I have tried to make in adult life end up flying like a ruptured cuckoo :eek:

Phil.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, as I said I used top sections and they work really well, but a bit of garden cane/bamboo works just the same. My dad used to make them from garden canes by putting a bolt in the front end and a flight at the back. The flight is a piece of tough card, square in shape. Fold it diagonally, corner to corner, then fold it in half each way. The creases will all go through the very centre of the square and look like a "*" but bigger! And with more points to it!!! :rolleyes:

What you do is fold this so that it forms four triangles all facing the same way, difficult to explain in fact. Give me a minute and I will do a quick version in paper and try to post it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Start off with a bit of paper, you should probably use stiff card or plastic, but whatever! Make sure it is square, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you don't want it to look like crap!

DSCF0251.jpg

Next, fold each corner diagonally to its' opposite corner. Make sure you don't turn the paper over when you do this, you want the creases to be in the same direction.

DSCF0252.jpg

Now that you have the diagonals folded in, turn the paper over. Now you fold the sheet in half along its length, and then its breadth. Obviously, each fold is opened up before the next fold is made.

DSCF0250.jpg

Now the paper can be gathered into this shape.

DSCF0253.jpg

To do this, fold the paper in haglf along one diagonal to form a triangle. Hold the triangle by the two 45 degree angles and push them towards each other. It will automatically form the shape you want so long as you did the folds correctly. Now you should have your one piece flight ready to fit to your arrow.

DSCF0254.jpg

Split the arrow into four sections, by battoning down at right angles to ech other, and then put the flight in. Tie the back end of the arrow so that the flight cannot fall out.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Did it with the cane and the Four inch nail option. We used two folded playing cards for the flights though. I'd forgotten all about it till my mate Andy picked up one of my re-enactment arrows and a bit of string. After that the bow was forgotten for a while, Ahh reliving the old days............. I've never seen it upscaled to a javelin level before. Certainly think about giving it a try

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
In Yorkshire they are known as bobby arrows and as said earlier they make a great poaching tool for gamebirds or so I've heard, they supposedly are also quite effective at roosting pigeon if you don't have permission to roost shoot .
Mike B...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE