Spear Heads (pattern welded!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I mentioned in the Dane Axe thread that I was working on some pattern welded Anglo Saxon spears. I have finally gotten around to posting up pictures as requested :)

Last November, whist at TORM, I was chatting to a chap about pattern welding (the proper name for what is often called damascus if you aren't sure). I mentioned that I fancied having a go at a pattern welded spear, but hadn't found the time to move it from the 'to do some day' list. He instantly pulled a couple of hundred quid from his pocket, slapped it on the table and said "let me know if it is any more" :You_Rock_

All winter I had been planning to get to it, but like Wayland's axe it kept getting pushed back by urgent orders. A few weeks before the next TORM I pulled my finger out and set to work. Now, I have forged smaller spears before and I have made a couple of daggers in the distant past, but I've not made a double edged blade of this size before. I've also never quite perfected welded sockets :( So before running straight into a labour intensive pw billet, I made a plain spring steel one.

The blade is about 8 1/2" long. I cheated a little with the socket and opted for fire welding a piece of steel pipe to a tang on the blade. Initially I forged it into a diamond cross section and ground it that way after heat treating. Then I wondered if I could hollow grind it. I've only ever ground a couple of 3" single edged blades in the past, so wasn't sure how I would manage with 9" and four sides that all need to meet!

That seemed to work OK, so I made a simple patterned head up. I say simple, but these are still multibar pieces. That mean that I make up several 10mm or so square patterned bars, stack them together like a kitkat and then weld them all together. Up to this point I have only made a few multi bar blades, all single edged knives and not for a couple of years. After that is done, the tip has to be forged in without distorting the pattern too much; this involves more slightly tricky welding and forging. If the bars slip out of alignment or the hammer comes down slightly on the pish, then the pattern is distorted or changed. Again, there are symmetry issues here as the bars must line up in the centre when the tip is forged out, also it has to be forged straight and symmetrical to keep it pretty.

The blade is 9 1/2" long and lenticular in cross section. Edge of EN42, twists of CS80 and 75ni8, core bar of mild steel. Once it was forged to shape I decided that the twisted bars and the edge would come out too narrow compared to the width of the core bar, so I forged the bevels out in order to gain some width in those areas. I went for lenticular (ie convex surfaces on both sides of the blade) because I have never made a blade with this cross section. Not too bad for a first attempt.

Now that I was confident that I could pull it off without cocking it up, I went on and made a couple more complicated ones.

The first has a core of wrought iron (I like the way the iron flows), flanked by twists and then more wrought before edges of EN42. The construction and forging was no more tricky than the last one, but with the extra couple of fingers in the kitkat, twisting and slipping is even more likely. Again, with a piece of pipe welded to the end to give a closed socket. This time I made the bas a little thicker (14mm square) to give me wider stars in the twists and keep a bit more thickness in the blade when finished.

The last spear that I made along side was even more complex, but this time I went with a single piece steel for the core bar and the socket. I went for an open socket for a change. The added difficulty here was the inclusion of 'wolfs teeth' alongside the edge and a high layer (well 400) steel for the edges. A wolfs tooth pattern is like a pair of gears or a zip that are forged together and welded up before applying to the rest of the stack. I had a go at this a few years back with some wrought iron (which flows into the grooves nicely), but not with anything harder. I wish I had done that again instead of using higher carbon steel, but there you go. live and learn!

I'll be making a new cutter to do the teeth before I have another crack at that pattern. They are far to open for my liking :( Still pretty though :) These two are 8" and 7 1/2" blades respectively. Both spears diamond section. I did think about hollow grinding the last on, but didn't want to risk making a mess of it after all that work.

They were a great learning experience and despite them encompassing many aspects that I dislike (such as symmetry, grinding polishing, non-practical objects, unnecessarily posh, etc), they all came out OK and I rather enjoyed making them. Very satisfying when you dip them in acid and see the patterns properly for the first time!

Some more pics

Tanks for looking folks. btw, the customer picked out the last spear head as the one for him :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks guys :) they look even better in the flesh (well, steel. You wouldn't want to see them in your flesh!). My acid was playing up a little, so the steel edges over etched a bit. They were supposed to be clean and shiny, but the acid brought out a bit more texture that I think adds another dimension as well as giving some more character that only shows when you look closely

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the edge hardness should be about 58RC based on the HT that I did on them. Of course if somebody wanted it to be super hard of super soft, then I could do that too ;)

they are all sharp and meant as real, live spears. The chap who started this all is a reenactor but will use these or living history displays rather than fighting with (sharps on the battle field are frowned on). Knowing him, I expect he will mount it and start stabbing inanimate things with it though!

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely all of them. Absolutely no need for a spear but desperately trying to think of one..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Beautiful work worthy of being called Gungir. Like some others have said I don't need a spear but I now have a very deep longing for one. I was school javelin champ and I would dearly love to see what that could do once hefted. Something that most folk never look twice at a spear but they should as they're missing a treat if they do with you work.

Cheers for letting us see them.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
John, they make yours look plain for two very good reasons. Firstly, these are super posh and secondly, your's is plain! :p Actuall, yours was the poshest I had made at that point, it was actually shiny!

They are lovely things. Weirdly more interesting to look at and fondle than a knife in many ways :)

Prices vary depending on complexity of pattern and materials used, but start at £200 for the plain steel and work up to a bit over £300 for wolfs teeth and high layer edges. When the last two of these are sold, I'll make some more I think. They were quite fun to make

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats very good work but would a real viking spear be pattern welded? I thought they were the cheapo weapon option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE