Southey & JonathanD's Epic Knife Test Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
As I recall Mors said one of the tests of a knife is to hammer it into a tree at 90deg and then stand on it.

This you have failed to do. Tsk tsk!

Did I read Southey's post right - that the serrations were damaged when a small sapling was bent and the blade pushed/rocked through ?

That's quite amazing since that is a recognised way to cut them (Mors).

What about felling a coconut tree ;-)

I can do that for you if you really want.

I haven't damaged the serrations on the one I tested yet, but from looking at the one Southey sent back, the problem with the thin ends has been rectified by a simple sharpening on the opposite sied to the grind and has reduced the very thin teeth to a point where they are much stronger.

Where can I find a cocout tree in Kinver?

I'm not hammering my First Blood knife into a tree. So forget that.

Reactions: PoppyD

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi guys. If it was my opinion discount it but it comes form Mors Kochanski.

“As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven four centimetres into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it.”

I agree there are unlikely to be situations when you do that to a knife but since it is what Mors mentions then it merits a thought or two. I have found that even though I do not initially understand why he advocates something, it is worth while reflecting on it as the light dawns later. He is after all the Einstein of bushcraft.

Trying to read his intentions I think it is a test of the tensile strength of the blade across the latitudinal axis. All the tests so far are how the blade performs when stressed on its longitudinal axis for which it is designed to perform well.
A survival knife may have occasion to do duty as a lever or pry bar stressing its weak axis. Most people can only exert force approximately equal to their own weight. By standing on the handle you are doing just that.

Of course I could have misread his reasons.
In any case should not an Epic test include this test?
Maybe the knife gurus could tell us what they think?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I just don't see the point, or the benefit of it, If i was going to pry something open i would want something bigger than a small knife, if testing a golok or bigger i can understand why you might consider using it as the length would make it a decent pry tool, but i would still be reticent to use my one and only knife and chance damaging the edge or worse, Wonder how a mora classic would stand up to his test, the other side being the danger of putting my foot onto a sharp blade, what a mistake that would be, one tiny slip and that's me done with running and my job to be for good or at least for a hell of a long time! no sir, silly test.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I just don't see the point, or the benefit of it, If i was going to pry something open i would want something bigger than a small knife, if testing a golok or bigger i can understand why you might consider using it as the length would make it a decent pry tool, but i would still be reticent to use my one and only knife and chance damaging the edge or worse, Wonder how a mora classic would stand up to his test, the other side being the danger of putting my foot onto a sharp blade, what a mistake that would be, one tiny slip and that's me done with running and my job to be for good or at least for a hell of a long time! no sir, silly test.

Siberianfury did one:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46141&highlight=

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I did it with one of my knives back in 2007. No problems, but I couldn't get it out of the tree. In the end I caused horrible damage to the tree to get it out. I'll do the test some other way than the tree method.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got a very big package from our own FGYT this week. One per evening should work. Was hoping to get out today and have a play. Couple or three prototypes in there and a folder too....

P1000036.jpg

P1000037.jpg

Got a new camera too, proper one. So be prepared.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did it with one of my knives back in 2007. No problems, but I couldn't get it out of the tree. In the end I caused horrible damage to the tree to get it out. I'll do the test some other way than the tree method.
Knife blade in vice, pipe over handle, pull like beggary on the pipe type sylee perhaps?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Hi guys. If it was my opinion discount it but it comes form Mors Kochanski.

“As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven four centimetres into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it.”

I agree there are unlikely to be situations when you do that to a knife but since it is what Mors mentions then it merits a thought or two. I have found that even though I do not initially understand why he advocates something, it is worth while reflecting on it as the light dawns later. He is after all the Einstein of bushcraft.

Trying to read his intentions I think it is a test of the tensile strength of the blade across the latitudinal axis. All the tests so far are how the blade performs when stressed on its longitudinal axis for which it is designed to perform well.
A survival knife may have occasion to do duty as a lever or pry bar stressing its weak axis. Most people can only exert force approximately equal to their own weight. By standing on the handle you are doing just that.

Of course I could have misread his reasons.
In any case should not an Epic test include this test?
Maybe the knife gurus could tell us what they think?

Knife blade in vice, pipe over handle, pull like beggary on the pipe type sylee perhaps?

it's actually a really sophisticated test, and a real beasting for a knife. you could try the test on a real pry-bar knife, but it turns out that it's incredibly difficult to hammer a really thick bladed knife that far into a tree perpendicular to the grain. it's also seriously hard on the handle. if the knife's too thick you'll never get four centimetres into a tree, if the knife's too thin, you'll probably bend it getting it in or standing on it. assuming you don't smash the handle to pieces in the process. it's a great one for just finding the perfect compromise

so simply sticking a knife in a vice and swinging on it, isn't quite the same.

when i spoke to mors about it, he said it was just a bit of fun!

cheers, and.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Does Rambo know you've got that?

Liam

Yeah, and he's got the black eye to prove it!

I had a brief play with Duncans knives one evening, well, the only evening it wasn't raining. I was so impressed that I think they deserve their own thread. I'll post it up tomorrow.

P1000243.jpg

P1000246.jpg

P1000247.jpg

P1000248.jpg

P1000249.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The fact the knife is actually pretty good is not only a surprise but made me chuckle!

Good review there, deffinatly a good idea to take it out and give it a good beating.

Can you dudes test out a few of these knives for our entertainment/education please?: cold steel bushman, British mod survival knife and the USAF survival knife.

Are machetes allowed here? If so I'd say give a bolo tramontina a go to show what a great cheap tool it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE