Source of well seasoned poplar wood and long strips / off cuts of wool on sheep skin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
much to my delight I have arranged for a nice chap to forge me a couple of blade blanks for me to finish, put handles on and make sheaths for.

Ones a copy of a roman ring knife dug up in London

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/wp-co...Iron-Knife-©-Museum-of-London-Archaeology.jpg

and the other is a 20 inch bladed Frankish style longsax. Now the Roman job will need just a veg tanned leather sheath ( my research is on going ) but I'd like to do a wooden scabbard for the longsax. I've asked him to make it as heavy and thick as he can without being outside the bounds of whats been excavated so it can be used as a farming implement/ machete so I don't have all the dimensions yet but from my research so far poplar seams to be the preferred wood for sheaths for swords.

i want to line it with sheepskin so ill be looking for strips of that. So far I'm assuming that I will cut the wool down until the things like felt rather than long and shaggy. Getting some thin veg tan to cover the thing won't be a problem and I still need to plenty of research on the metal fittings. I won't be getting the blades until the new year anyway so there's no hurry.

so anyone have some suitable polar to sell or trade?

ATB

tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Poplar sadly not - I logged it all and its in the stove - will be dropping some ash trees this Winter if thats any good?

With the wool lining, be sure and leave the wool unwashed - I'm told the lanolin was a rust preventer

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sounds like a good project. Again, no poplar, but I've got some solid oak from whisky barrel heads if that's any good.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just a few weeks ago you could have filled your boots around this way as there were a load of old poplars taken out.
If it is good for sheath's then at least that's one thing its good for besides burning.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the thought. It's not a sort of wood I've ever thought of stockpiling myself until now. Mind you I've had precious little luck getting the green oak and elm I'm after so I'm obviously not trying that hard!

Yup I've a big tub of lanolin ready to enhance whats in the wool already and won't be using any mineral oil on the blade at all.

Ash you say? The middle son does want a spear making but I guess it won't be in that sort of lengths ;)

im quite looking forward to this project, there also a diddy 4inch sax blade coming for me as a belt/ eating knife, just like I did for the son but I will be finishing it more to my tastes as he wanted the forge marks leaving on

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lordy a lot of replies whole I was typing that last reply!

Ozzy, i haven't found any reference to pine being used. Since it comes in straight sections and is easily worked there may be a good reason it's not used. More research is indicated before I can say. Poplar Is mention in several places. I'm trying to dig through what is known and what folk (reenactors mainly) are guessing and stating as fact.

Dogoak, normally I'd have your arm off for oak as there's a bunch of projects like copies of 18th c wall candle boxes, salt boxes and various tinder boxes I've plans for but from what I've read oak can have a nasty effect on some carbon steels and will itself be stoned by iron. thanks for the offer any way!

Dwardo, just my luck! Never heard for it being used for owt besides burning myself before now.

Red, if you wouldn't mind storing it for a bit and wouldn't mind seeing my ugly mug leering over your fence we could pick it up next time we are visiting my mate in east Notts? Have the bowyers you know started leaving suggestive chalk marks on the ash trees, if they are big enough for staves?

better go post the eBay sales that have paid for these new toys. It's remarkable what some folk will pay for a bit of WW2 webbing you picked up for pence back in the 90s.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll assess it when I drop the trees Tom - the diameter is too thick for a spear shaft so you would need to turn it down - the thinnest 8' section is probably arm thick - that be okay?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent, I'd carve it down and plane it hexagonal so it would season quicker before rigging up a lathe anyway. It's more straightness I'm worried about than the amount of work ill have to put in.
Thanks again!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

it seams they even make pallets from poplar. Wonder were you can buy it as a length of 4 by two. Two foot of that would sort us.

Looking at some sites about recreating medeival scabbards and as well as the digging out with a chisel to fit method there's another method, steam bending thin sheets of the stuff over the blade and lining material. More research required methinks.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I will be guided by your opinion on it, it's hard to tell from photos, also you never know how things will bend or split as they dry out. Truth be said ive never done a spear shaft before. Done a few scout staffs for the boys but they are no longer than 5 foot and whittled to shape rather than turned.

Thanks!
Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll wait till I drop them (be March likely) and have a look on the ground theres one other coppice Ash that I recall having a straight trunk - I'll check it out

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
ta!

Anyhoo, after some reading of the excellent excavation reports from York I was directed to it would seam it's not poplar at all I need a couple of feet of but willow! Now how long are the blades on cricket bats.... No surely seasoned willow must be available somewhere?

Atb

tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have to be kidding me! I logged up about a seven tonner of willow last year :(

I've got stacks but its all in about 14" lengths

This county is full of willow. I'll PM you next time I chop one up

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Ive got a 6" diameter x 6' long poplar log in my workshop. It was cut last spring so could do with more seasoning. Yours for collection SE of Winchester.

I also have a couple of freshly felled ones and a willow:lmao:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bum. Oh well. I measured one of the numerous cricket bats tha never get used in this house and if it wasn't for the V cutout for the handle it would be perfect. Assuming the blade comes out to spec I need a wood blank 22 x 2 x 4 inches Naturally the finished article will be thinner and narrower.

Aw nuts, we were down Oxford way last weekend. I don't think well be down that way until about Easter now but thanks for the offer bob.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE