Something for the plinkers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
British Army used the top breaking Webley between the 1880's and up to 1950's, without that problem.
I have experience from both the Webley and the Peacemaker, used to shoot them quite a bit in the okd days in Sweden.
I found personally that reloading a top breaker is by far the fastest revolver to reload.

Have you any experience shooting either from the back of a galloping horse? Before you ask, neither have I. It would be fun to give it a try though!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well past then. Long-distance stock droving started in the early 1800s in Australia and didn't finish until 1959.

Thanks. I'm sure they would make for some outstanding films. The only one I've seen was Autralia (2008) I enjoyed it but I've no idea how factually accurate it was. Likewise I have to agree with the critics about two points: 1) it was too long (easy to lose your attention) and 2) it tried to cover too many subplots without devoting enough attention to each. Both problems could have been easily solved by doing it as a mini-series rather than a feature movie.

I suppose I may be wrong in saying that was the only one I've seen. Does The Man From Snowy River count as a drover's movie? Very probably inaccurate but it was excellent to me. It did the things I miss from older movies: i.e. told the underlying story well and held up the courage and morality of the main players. I might add it did so without discounting human faults, but rather the ability to overcome them.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think a drover's movie would be pretty boring. They moved the cattle a minimum of 6 miles a day, not a lot happened. No predators, the enemy was the unrelenting heat.
The Man From Snowy River is a tribute to the horsemen of that region but not really about droving.

'Australia' gives an overview of the droving country in WA. If you watch 'Rabbit-proof Fence' you'll get an idea what it is like. For about 1200miles it is flattish, red parched soil with very little water, vegetation or anything at all. It's only at the beginning and end of the Canning Stock route that there is much at all to speak of.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Not sure I would qualify for a movie deal unless the title was "The Slowest Gun in the West"

[video=youtube_share;aHUgIqhg7XA]https://youtu.be/aHUgIqhg7XA[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Have you any experience shooting either from the back of a galloping horse? Before you ask, neither have I. It would be fun to give it a try though!

Shooting? No. I had to learn some stuff on a horseback as tradition prescribed. I was an officer at a Cavalry Regiment. Hated every single second.
since then I love eating horse meat!

But the British Riding classes that populated the Cavalry regiments knew how ton do everything on or from a horse!
They even liked / like ladies that resemble a horse!
(enough said! :) )

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Shooting? No. I had to learn some stuff on a horseback as tradition prescribed. I was an officer at a Cavalry Regiment. Hated every single second.
since then I love eating horse meat!

But the British Riding classes that populated the Cavalry regiments knew how ton do everything on or from a horse!

Cheers for this, made me properly giggle.

EDIT:
finally found the quote that this put me in mind of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VLll12LSs

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen it. Like a Ladies Barrel-racing event at a rodeo plus they are shooting with both hands at balloons atop tall sticks. Look like Colt 45 wheel guns (salt? fine bird shot #9?)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I've seen it. Like a Ladies Barrel-racing event at a rodeo plus they are shooting with both hands at balloons atop tall sticks. Look like Colt 45 wheel guns (salt? fine bird shot #9?)

I think most of the fast draw comps use either wax slugs or blanks that have added course black powder for bursting balloons (the latter for close range)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Agreed. Quick-Draw is against the clock and the distances can be really short.
This ladies horseback event with the shooting is for maniacs!
I know the competitor's mother. She seems quite normal.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
British Army used the top breaking Webley between the 1880's and up to 1950's, without that problem.
I have experience from both the Webley and the Peacemaker, used to shoot them quite a bit in the okd days in Sweden.
I found personally that reloading a top breaker is by far the fastest revolver to reload.

Ah yes, the mess Webley, kept in a drawer to deal with breaches of protocol and etiquette :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....But the British Riding classes that populated the Cavalry regiments knew how ton do everything on or from a horse!

Cheers for this, made me properly giggle.

EDIT:
finally found the quote that this put me in mind of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VLll12LSs

Not specific to our cavalry but generic to our military, there's an old saying: "No matter how ugly a woman is, somewhere there's a G.I. that will marry her."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think a drover's movie would be pretty boring. They moved the cattle a minimum of 6 miles a day, not a lot happened. No predators, the enemy was the unrelenting heat.
The Man From Snowy River is a tribute to the horsemen of that region but not really about droving.......

Possibly. But I imagine a factually accurate movie of a Western Cattle drive would be just as boring. The trick would be for the story teller to find a human story to tell in that setting. Surely that Australia has many examples of human courage and determination among the drovers to draw from?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"The Man From Snowy River" was a horse movie and a love story. No white-faced range maggots were harmed in the film. Too bad.
However, can you recall the race through the forest? Those were Mansfield boys and more than one of them got whacked
by low branches, as you see in the film. They all lived but it was a real grudge match race.

Four years Down Under. Four fabulous years in the bush and forests of NSW & Vic.
The movie? The Bogong High Plains. Go see for your self, summer or winter.

You see, cattle have really small trachea. They suffer tremendously in a stampede.
However, if you get a herd of bison on the dead freakin' run for 4 or 5 days, they will kill your horses in the chase.
A 2 yr old bison has a trachea/wind pipe that I can stick my arm into.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Oops, I got home this evening and my Colt seems to have multiplied (and into a .177 pellet version no less). Not sure but walking past my local air gun dealer on the way home may have played a part! 🙄

a359ba4c4eeeaa4142a05ad84fb14a5a.jpg

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Fast draw but with a tissue. Think how fast you can whip out one from your pocket when a sneeze is coming on.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Oops, I got home this evening and my Colt seems to have multiplied (and into a .177 pellet version no less). Not sure but walking past my local air gun dealer on the way home may have played a part! 

a359ba4c4eeeaa4142a05ad84fb14a5a.jpg

WOW!!

Those are beautiful!!:cool::cool:

A friend of mine owns a Luger Co2 pistol (Copy of a Luger) It feels great in the hand!!

I've a few but none of these new replica ones, Been fancying a Broomhandle Mauser though!!

Some of my little uns, I think I have over 40 now, They're not all in this pic..

MlDzrMC.jpg

John :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
WOW!!

Those are beautiful!!:cool::cool:

A friend of mine owns a Luger Co2 pistol (Copy of a Luger) It feels great in the hand!!

I've a few but none of these new replica ones, Been fancying a Broomhandle Mauser though!!

Some of my little uns, I think I have over 40 now, They're not all in this pic..

MlDzrMC.jpg

John :)

Very nice, some real antique pieces there if I am any judge.

I'm curious how some of the really old ones would perform over a chronograph.
I have shot some real old air rifles that go way beyond the 12ft/lb limit

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Some but not probably cowboys would carry up to three revolvers in a sash. Apparently Goodnight did not let his workers carry pistols. On the other hand a holstered pistol would be useful to shoot one's horse if it was running with one bouncing on the ground with foot caught in stirrup, or to blow one's foot off.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I've a few but none of these new replica ones

Nice collection! You got one replica I think ;) looks like a nickel Berretta 92, top left?

I have recently got into air pistols after wanting something different to shoot from my BSA ultra.

I am just waiting for gun shop to give me a call to let me know they got my 6" colt python finished in Nickel with wood effect grip.
Only trouble is its only available in BB! But it was more for the look and the style rather than the accuracy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE