Air pistol for Squirrels?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does seem rather mad that we have people who can’t afford to buy food, yet rabbit and squirrel often just gets dumped as waste.

Must be a market for a resurgence of this sort of food.
Agreed. In the same way Oxtail, Ox cheek ( unfashionable cuts in their day ) have been made popular and chef-chic we need the same for Rabbits and Squirrels , not so much that it become pricey foodstuffs but more to show it can be made into very tasty meals.

I don't see many butchers selling Rabbit anymore. Unfortunately.

Reactions: rowen and Chris

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
£4.95 a squirrel! I must get shooting :)

Thats Nuts!!!!! :)

< Thank you-Thank you -Thank You... you are too kind >

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Broch and Chris

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Just got round to opening and looking at this month BASC magazine…..
Needn’t have asked, though thank you everyone for the info and affirming my thoughts on pistols.
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_7692.jpeg
    IMG_7692.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Crac

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
If the problem is that bad I would look at the good nature squirrel killer. I use one, very effective and it counts how many it has killed

Reactions: rowen

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Just been reading up about this, sounds good.
I hate to kill anything that I then can’t cook/eat with a few exceptions, how does the trap dispatch them, would the meat still be edible or spoiled if entered the wrong way if possible?
I’ll YouTube it now see if anything is on there, thank you.

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
What I will say is if you are sitting in a hide and head shooting, 12ftlbs .177 can work, if you are hunting, you don't generally have time or angle for a clean headshot and .22 (ok) and .25 (best) are better.

They retain more energy downrange and kill well with heart/lung shot.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I've shot most stuff with a .177 air rifle at legal limits, shot placement is the key to a clean kill. I'm not going to argue about what calibre. I also shot competitively every other weekend and spent about an hour a day practising if possible. That was ten years ago. Apart from the odd pigeon clearance job, I don't get out much nowadays. I would also look into humane traps. I had a deal with the local game butchers and managed to get £1 a rabbit, I'd eat the squirrels myself sometimes or leave them by the hedge for the local foxes.

ATB
Si

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I could just leave it to the daughters miniature Collipoo while the Viszla and I watch on but they are almost as big as her.
I didn’t see or hear her catch it she brought it to show me what she’d found.

Attachments

• IMG_7206.png
    IMG_7206.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Haha
Reactions: stonepark and Broch

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
And what I ment by looks great is , it seems humane and the meat will be fit for consumption!
I poked a pencil up one and it definitely wasn’t fit for writing. They’re highly effective things, so quick and powerful, and quite scary to test trigger.

Only problem I had, and mine was used to get rats in the garden, was slugs getting up there after the peanut butter and triggering the thing until it ran out of gas. The gas cartridges on the site are expensive, but the local gun shop sold them at £7 for 10.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I don't know about air pistols for squirrels but I do know of a guy who makes armour for mice

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Does seem rather mad that we have people who can’t afford to buy food, yet rabbit and squirrel often just gets dumped as waste.

And pheasant. One estate near us dig a hole and chuck them in, the money is made from the shoot and the rich shooters who bring their friends DFL. They don’t know what to do with them, least of all hanging and plucking. It’s crazy there isn’t pheasant on local pub menus round here.

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
And pheasant. One estate near us dig a hole and chuck them in, the money is made from the shoot and the rich shooters who bring their friends DFL. They don’t know what to do with them, least of all hanging and plucking. It’s crazy there isn’t pheasant on local pub menus round here.
It’s quite difficult to get game onto the market now. I am a registered food business and have a reasonable market for the venison but pubs and restaurants are not really interested unless they have a good chef who does not like pre packaged meals. The restaurants who do put it on the menu sell at a premium price. A fallow carcass skinned is worth about £75 not the restaurant can make about £700 from the carcass. Pheasant is great food but nobody seems interested at all in moving larger quantities.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

I'm not sure many people who don't have much money for food would want a squirrel or rabbit or woodie. I've known a few people who've tried giving it away and not many people are interested.

Having prepped a few squirrels they do take a fair bit of time to skin, and at the moment don't really have the time to process them but need to keep their numbers down to reduce damage.

I think our feral cat has dragged off and eaten the odd one I've shot as I've found a head attached to most of the skin but most of the flesh removed. So, pet food is another option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE