Something for the plinkers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
If we believe the media, most of the perps are shot lying down or with the hands up?

I'm not one to blindly believe everything I'm told but I've seen enough video evidence of unarmed, predominately black men being unnecessarily shot and killed by serving police officers for no good reason, to believe it happens far more frequently than it should or even as is being reported.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I'm not one to blindly believe everything I'm told but I've seen enough video evidence of unarmed, predominately black men being unnecessarily shot and killed by serving police officers for no good reason, to believe it happens far more frequently than it should or even as is being reported.

I was trying to be politically correct, non political, neutral, sterile.....
but I meant what you so correctly write.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I was trying to be politically correct, non political, neutral, sterile.....
but I meant what you so correctly write.

My apologies. I read it the other way as I was reading through the thread.
It jarred and I felt the need to comment.
Should have queried what was meant first. Again I'm sorry.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I've seen those videos too. Lots of them; but only one was shot unnecessarily. All the rest placed their hands out of sight at the very minimum.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've seen those videos too. Lots of them; but only one was shot unnecessarily. All the rest placed their hands out of sight at the very minimum.

I assume you're not trolling but sincerely believe what you say.
All I can say in return is you clearly haven't seen the same footage as me. Or perhaps we have very different views of what is unnecessary.
Either way let us not get involved in anything political but go back to the thread as was before my gross over reaction to Janne's post.
I for one found it quite interesting.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I assume you're not trolling but sincerely believe what you say.
All I can say in return is you clearly haven't seen the same footage as me. Or perhaps we have very different views of what is unnecessary.
Either way let us not get involved in anything political but go back to the thread as was before my gross over reaction to Janne's post.
I for one found it quite interesting.

I assure you I have seen them. We're shown all those videos during training. I'll send you one or two that are too violent to share publicly and you'll begin to understand exactly why I WILL shoot if a suspect disobeys commands to stop and keep his hands where I can see them.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I assure you I have seen them. We're shown all those videos during training. I'll send you one or two that are too violent to share publicly and you'll begin to understand exactly why I WILL shoot if a suspect disobeys commands to stop and keep his hands where I can see them.

There's no need to send me any videos, especially any selected as part of police training.
Unfortunately there seem to be too many available on news networks already and seemingly more and more added daily.
You'll have to excuse me if I don't choose to believe that it would be in the interests of a police force to show instances where mistakes are made by officers, but rather focus on situations where such shootings are warranted.

However I really don't think this is the right forum to discuss such things so maybe best if we continue by private message.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's no need to send me any videos, especially any selected as part of police training.
Unfortunately there seem to be too many available on news networks already and seemingly more and more added daily.
You'll have to excuse me if I don't choose to believe that it would be in the interests of a police force to show instances where mistakes are made by officers, but rather focus on situations where such shootings are warranted.

However I really don't think this is the right forum to discuss such things so maybe best if we continue by private message.

I've just sent it. It wasn't filmed for training purposes; it was actual dash cam footage. However if you prefer your selected videos, find me one where the cop was found wrong. If a suspect doe not comply and makes ANY FURTIVE movement (reaching into a blind space such as into a vehicle, or under a seat, or toward his waistband) the officer WILL fire. Questions will be asked later and the officer WILL be cleared.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Probably lots of truth to this. In fact true cowboys (the ones who drove the cattle herds from Texas to the markets in Kansas) only lasted a few years and was mostly over before cartridge guns anyway. But our penchant for calling anybody from that era and area a "cowboy" includes a lot of folks who did carry Colts as well as others.

Is that because shipping cattle by railroad or truck took over, or the cattle were slaughtered locally instead?

I wonder if long distance droving actually had a longer history in Western Australia than in 'Western' USA then?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Some good films included the quandary of whether to drove for a longer distance or to go to, say, Abilene in the hope that the railroad was there now and geared to ship cattle. Red River was the first I saw and probably the best.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Is that because shipping cattle by railroad or truck took over, or the cattle were slaughtered locally instead?

I wonder if long distance droving actually had a longer history in Western Australia than in 'Western' USA then?

Expansions of the railroads. First they had to drive the cattle to a few central points far away from the grazing grounds but when they expanded the railroad network this became unneccessary.
Saved money and the beef arrived at destination in a better shape. Pluss less % wastage.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Expansions of the railroads. First they had to drive the cattle to a few central points far away from the grazing grounds but when they expanded the railroad network this became unneccessary.
Saved money and the beef arrived at destination in a better shape. Pluss less % wastage.

Janne beat me to it. The first drives were to the railroad hubs and huge slaughterhouses were built near them. Later railroad expansion made the drives obsolete. I don't know much about the Australian cattle drives but if the only movie I've seen is correct, didn't they last at least until WWI?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well I go away for a couple of days and the thread has exploded!
I am a big believer in not buying into the Hollywood portrayed image of "Cowboys" and agree it is a generic term applied to a much wider group of people.
Very interesting reading about the general view that many wouldn't carry pistols (military, lawmen and criminals aside) in favour of a rifle or shotgun which makes sense both in terms of travelling light and the cost. Cow hands not carrying pistols for fear of an Negligent discharge also makes sense and in my mind a rifle for protection, hunting and putting down injured animals seems to make more sense.

It amazes me how fascinating the reality of the old west is once you get past the later dramatisation, I actually studied this period in college many moons ago but I think being from the uk it's sometimes difficult to fully grasp the vaste cultural differences.

All that said I still have that faintly romanticised image of Eastwood, Wayne, Van Cleefe etc... That makes shooting my little single action plinker so much fun. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But now Hollywood seems to want to change the Wild West myth by going Poliically Correct.

I recall that Chicago was a major slaugterhouse place? That the majority of cattle endd up there.
Refrigeration made it posdible to slaugter elsewhere and ship across the continent and later across the world.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I know what you mean.

Incidentally I am waiting to see the new magnificent seven movie, I think we can safely assume it will be wildly inaccurate - even the trailer shows several questionable scenes not least the token "red indian" tracker who looks anything but.
However I will still watch it as it does look like a gods piece of entertainment and I have a fondness for the original.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Chicago slaughterhouses lasted well into the 20th century. Even now, most slaughtering is done at select centers (I suspect because the meat industry i s just that now; an industry with corporate heads)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know what you mean.

Incidentally I am waiting to see the new magnificent seven movie, I think we can safely assume it will be wildly inaccurate - even the trailer shows several questionable scenes not least the token "red indian" tracker who looks anything but.
However I will still watch it as it does look like a gods piece of entertainment and I have a fondness for the original.

My daughter and her husband saw it a night before last. I haven't talked to her about it yet though. I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should watch it. Like you, I have a fondness for the original that makes me curious but at the same time I think it might be better to just stay away and keep he memories of the original.

Current movies (every genre) seem to depend too much on the action scenes and less on the underlying stories. There's another thread going on about that as we type) Mind you, the action scenes in the original were great for their day, but still----the movie revolved around the courage of the main players and the sense of right and wrong. Something sadly missing in most of today's films.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Janne beat me to it. The first drives were to the railroad hubs and huge slaughterhouses were built near them. Later railroad expansion made the drives obsolete. I don't know much about the Australian cattle drives but if the only movie I've seen is correct, didn't they last at least until WWI?
Well past then. Long-distance stock droving started in the early 1800s in Australia and didn't finish until 1959.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE