something for myself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Hi, i havnt made many knives this year as been working elsewhere but started this little project for myself
i wanted something forged but only had flat ground barstock to hand but it was forged with only the edges tidied up on the linisher
made a little thors hammer pendant in between heat cycling the blade

forged.JPGfilework1.JPG

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, yes just a simple vine pattern. iv got some hawthorne that i cut a few years ago that i wanted to use for the scales, its got some nice grain and colour in it, i wanted to use a handle material local to me that id cut myself.

filework2.JPG

Reactions: Toddy

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, i do enjoy it. i managed among the chaos to pick up a refill for my propane. tescos only allowing 3 carrots per customer and all!
getting the heat treat done today, a few normalizing cycles with anti scale compound after forging to refine the grain before quench.
i dont normally taper tangs before heat treat as it gives me a little room to compensate for any slight warpage but would have been difficult with the file work otherwise if i did need to, luckily no warpage.
ps, it may all look a mess but its actually very organised!

heat1.JPGheat2.JPGheat3.JPGheat4.JPG

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What's that red dot? I've no knowledge of know by making so I'm guessing it's your signature mark, but what's it made with, a paint of some kind? I'm a person for details, if I see something I've got to ask.

Btw nice work! There's too many talented knife craftsmen on here. If I ever get into it I'd be too ashamed to present my work. Think I'll my stick to carving pointed sticks!!

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
What's that red dot? I've no knowledge of know by making so I'm guessing it's your signature mark, but what's it made with, a paint of some kind? I'm a person for details, if I see something I've got to ask.

Btw nice work! There's too many talented knife craftsmen on here. If I ever get into it I'd be too ashamed to present my work. Think I'll my stick to carving pointed sticks!!
thanks, it is indeed my makers mark, the hole is filled part way with pigmented epoxy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE